well I went and did it, 480 ruger carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

well I went and did it, 480 ruger carbine

Post by mickbr »

Found a smith who puts 480's in old mausers, (which I believe are some type of weird side lever'' action?). Would have loved to find a 480 ruger rossi one day or have the money for a BHA in 475 or 500 but at half the cost and the fact I am not getting any younger the bolt action got the vote. Not much in the way of jacketed bullets around, but I do have brass. Now to find some bullet molds.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Re: well I went and did it, 480 ruger carbine

Post by Trailboss »

Congrats Mick, the 480 Ruger is my favorite cartridge. It's like lobbing hammers down range. Ranch Dog made some awesome 480 R molds, even a six cavity one. A large flat nose, weight around 390 grain.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

THUMP!

:lol: 8)

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds fun... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd bet that Mauser would be a great candidate for one of those can thingies that screw onto the muzzle end. Big pills going slow and mouse phart quiet!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We'll need photos, Mick. Several of 'em in fact. 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:23 am We'll need photos, Mick. Several of 'em in fact. 8)
That's for sure. Sounds cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

You know, a light Mauser carbine might be just the ticket for this cartridge. You don't need a large capacity magazine and if it is slick feeding, it would be a worthy woods companion.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:23 am We'll need photos, Mick. Several of 'em in fact. 8)
Yup.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

First photo gents. Nothing too exciting yet. Rustled up some 325 XTP bullets for the 480, cases or on the way. Shown sitting here between a 44 special dummy someone gave me for comparison and a 110gn XTP 357. Didnt realize just how BIG this calibre looks. Not quite the presence of the 500SW but 30% less powder capacity will have some advantages for mild loads and subsonics. I have to say there is not a lot of reduced load data for the 480 out there. Folks obviously buy this to run it heavy but Im figuring to start with milder loads of Unique or CFE pistol when the time comes and see where that gets me.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A side-lever for the .480 could be interesting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

nice work digging that up Scott. Ive been running a lot of internet searches on the 480 but thats the first id seen it.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I see a couple of 480 owners on this thread. :) I was wondering if anyone had any good loads. Also wondered if anyone had any fullhouse loads chronied? Just curious as to what they case can do.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

How did you finally decide on this? You been asking alot of questions about various cartridges and guns, what was your process of elimation and decision? I spent 11 months deciding a red dot sight and 9 months on a cartridge and barrel length for a Contender carbine! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

mickbr wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:23 am I see a couple of 480 owners on this thread. :) I was wondering if anyone had any good loads. Also wondered if anyone had any fullhouse loads chronied? Just curious as to what they case can do.

here is our now passed compadre Jeff Quinn's article on the 480 in the puma rifle:

http://www.gunblast.com/Puma480.htm

i particularly like the load with the barnes 275 gr XPB, very accurate in both my puma rifles

those little rifles are among my favorites !
cable
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

mickbr wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:23 am I see a couple of 480 owners on this thread. :) I was wondering if anyone had any good loads. Also wondered if anyone had any fullhouse loads chronied? Just curious as to what they case can do.
Mick,

I haven't chronographed my loads and I don't really have any hot loads but here is my favorite. It has taken two black bear with one shot each, one mountain lion and several deer. All one shot kills.

383 grain Ranch Dog, 22.5 grains of H4227, Large Pistol CCI Primer

This load has been very accurate out of my Rossi and the recoil is mild. I have seen no reason to up the powder since the load has been so effective so far. All shots were in the 40-80 yard range.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

hfcable wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:20 pm

here is our now passed compadre Jeff Quinn's article on the 480 in the puma rifle:

http://www.gunblast.com/Puma480.htm

i particularly like the load with the barnes 275 gr XPB, very accurate in both my puma rifles

those little rifles are among my favorites !
Thanks hfcable, Id seen that article, good to know the 275 XPB works okay, as I have some coming
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:01 pm How did you finally decide on this? You been asking alot of questions about various cartridges and guns, what was your process of elimation and decision? I spent 11 months deciding a red dot sight and 9 months on a cartridge and barrel length for a Contender carbine! Todd/3leg
yes I spent about 2 years on this one. Wanted something with a bit more thump than my 357 Rossi for subsonics. 44 got a good look, also considered 56-50 at one point but the armi/chiappa version has so many QA issues. 480 got the vote as similar class to 44, 45- bigger, but not a huge case like 500 or 45-70 so can still use some of my 357 powders. A big part was I found a bunch of components going the same time i found the fella who could do the conversion.
Last edited by mickbr on Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Trailboss wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:37 pm
Mick,

I haven't chronographed my loads and I don't really have any hot loads but here is my favorite. It has taken two black bear with one shot each, one mountain lion and several deer. All one shot kills.

383 grain Ranch Dog, 22.5 grains of H4227, Large Pistol CCI Primer

This load has been very accurate out of my Rossi and the recoil is mild. I have seen no reason to up the powder since the load has been so effective so far. All shots were in the 40-80 yard range.
thanks Trailboss!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like both the 325 grain Hornady bullets, as well as loading the 410 grain Wide Flat Points from Cast Performance. In a carbine with 20.5 grains H4227 and a WLP or a CCI 300 or 350 primers has given me good accuracy. Performance on hogs has been spectacular. I used 400 grain Speer JSP bullets on a hybrid Water Buffalo/Cape Buffalo at a game ranch in Texas. Winchester WLP primers and H110 at 0.5 grain below Hodgdon's max listed load. 86er (many of you will remember him) was backing me up with his model 86 .45-90(I think that was the caliber. It was a .45-70 bored for more powder capacity) using punch bullets. Mike Rintoul was there with his .50 Linebaugh caliber field artillery piece. I found one of my bullets halfway through a rib when cooking the ribs. It had gone through the body and the bullet was pointing out from the inside of the rib. I pulled the bullet out and it had opened a little, but not a lot. It looked like it could have been used in an advertisement.
D. Brian Casady
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

great hunt report Piller. How many shots did you put into him?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think it was 6 or 8. It has been about 15 years.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:45 am I think it was 6 or 8. It has been about 15 years.
Droll . . . :)

Interesting 325Gr load, my 44 mag 325Gr hardcast load was a low velocity model, but it didn't stop inside dumping all its energy! it just kept going and going.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I was tempted by the 480 when it came out, but was already fully invested in my 44 loads and had a family to feed and a business to run and couldn't squeeze another revolver into meat production . . . 338 win mag was the long gun at the time, but not the right bear defense, so that transformed into 45/70 . . . my perfect SE Alaska combo.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice!
While I know next to nothing about that cartridge, putting it in a Mauser can NOT be a mistake. :D
With a shortish barrel and kept light, that would be a hot setup in my neck of the woods I'd bet.
Can't beat a Mauser. Can't.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks for the input Oldwin.
Fellas would you say this calibre is a different class than 44 mag or larger version of same thing. I am talking recoil, effectiveness, power etc. Recoil wont be so much of a problem in a long gun of course.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do not think of the .480 as a .44 Magnum. It runs at a lower pressure and shoots a wider and heavier bullet.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:04 am I do not think of the .480 as a .44 Magnum. It runs at a lower pressure and shoots a wider and heavier bullet.
Hold on there Pardner. What is the range of bullet weights offered in .480? I am seeing 400 - 410 as about the top. Hornady shows a 400gr xtp at 1100 fps. But a lot of sub 400gr ammo is listed for the 480.

44mag will shoot a 405 cast bullet at velocities approaching 1100. So, yeah a wider bullet, but at similar velocities penetration is encouraged by the slimmer round, yes?

I think the shining benefit of the 480 is to move heavy bullets into the barely supersonic range with less pressure and less recoil.

If someone has some other need in mind, my 525gr cast 45/70 load left Blaine's 10" BFR at just over 1300 fps. If it were mine, I would drop the velocity to around 1150 and cut the blast in half, more or less.

things to keep in mind when comparing performance. same can be said for comparing 45 colt heavies to 44 mag heavies, the colt has lower pressures to get say, speed of sound as a benchmark velocities.

which is why I use TKO to surf around the options for chucking heavy [for pistols] chunks of lead. the question to me is, what am I actually getting downrange at a given distance? say 50 yards as a baseline. what is actually going to happen to whatever steps in front of it.

none of this is altered by the fact that 22s are routinely used to put down animals weighing as much as a car. or that a bear can absorb a revolver load of ammo and still rip your guts out.

P.S. I see Hornady lists a 325Gr 480 load. 325 is what I shot out of my 44 SBH for years in Alaska wilderness . . . a 480 might get you a few more yards but it seems inefficient to me . . .

sorry this is so long. two cups of coffee for the commute . . . :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Grizzly offers a 425 grain .480 Ruger at 1200 fps. I couldn't find a .44 Mag listed as factory any bigger than Buffalo Bore or Underwood around 340 grains. Handloading makes a difference, but not everyone handloads.
The lower pressure seems to me to give less muzzle blast, as well as helping to make recoil stay manageable. As far as penetration, I have never compared the two.
When loading for a rifle, I find that the .480 rounds over 410 grains are getting too long to work smoothly. In a pistol the 425 grain loads are no trouble at all.
As far as being wider bullets, I cannot understand your telling me to hold on. .475 is indeed wider than .429. Maybe not a lot, but it is wider.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I cannot understand your telling me to hold on. .475 is indeed wider than .429. Maybe not a lot, but it is wider.

I didn't mean to say otherwise, I meant to say that a 400gr bullet has the same potential from either a 44 or a 48, but one has a higher SD than the other, which can affect things down range. the 44 can overlap the 480 in a similar way that the 44 can overlap the lower end of 45/70 terminal ballistics. obviously the 480 pushed to saami limits can produce a higher TKO number than the 44 because it can't keep up with the top end.

some people find my 'fascination' for heavy-for-caliber unnecessary, but the day I bought my guide gun in Juneau the guy behind the counter had a 500-ish gr load for his 45/70, and told this story.

He was guiding a bear hunt, and the client wounded a fairly big coastal brown bear. he told the client to stay put, and the guide trailed the bear uphill. he caught it turning around to go kill the shooter, and put one shot through the rear end of the bear, taking out BOTH hip joints, and anchored the bear for a kill shot. That's the kind of projectile performance I want in the bear woods. and no, the bullet did not dump all its energy in the bear and lodge in the offside hide ... :D

I compare every firearm and load to this story, and keep this capability in basic inventory. and I think the 480 would be a fine bear stopper.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

OK. I understand.

Personally, I have never been outside of the Airport in Alaske when I was being sent to Korea by the U.S. Army. I have no experience with bears. The biggest and most dangerous thing I have shot with a .480 is a hybrid Water Buffalo/Cape Buffalo cross. It did charge after 2 of the 400 grain .480 bullets and a .45-70 punch bullet went through it left to right.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well, your buffalo counts as a seriously large animal with lots of momentum when he's moving. did you recover any bullets?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Two. The rest were not. Colter had to get in the act. She shredded some junk mail to get my attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

those look good. did what they were paid to. good going!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Fellas btw what primers can I use for this. I have a qty of large rifle primers and was thinking being it will be in a mauser this would be okay? Or do I utilise large pistol or large pistol magnum.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

My favorite CCI 350 Magnum Large Pistol primer
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In my loads, I use CCI 350 primers when using max loads of H110/WW296. I have found that those 2 powders do not give best results with regular primers. For Longshot, H4227, and Li'l Gun I use WLP or standard CCI 300 primers. If the rifle primers fit without sticking out, I never tried - so I do not know, they would have more flame than a regular pistol primer. A thread posted some time back had pictures for comparison. Regular large rifle primers were similar to Large pistol Magnum primers in the amount of flame put out IF my memory is correct. Do not take my word for it.
As long as the rifle primers do not stick out, they might work. I do not find that the .480 needs magnum primers for everything. The powder column is basically the same length as what is in a .44 Magnum. Being a wider case, it can hold more powder, but it runs at a lower pressure. I might be wrong, but the lower pressure seems to ignite just fine with regular large pistol primers. Again, H110/WW296 are the exceptions in my experience. Load them hot and use a magnum primer or performance is not good. YMMV
D. Brian Casady
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Ray wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:20 am please pardon the blurry kindle foto.....

IMG_20210829_070710_kindlephoto-504313991.jpg

left, lee C-430-310-RF.....right, lee C-476-325-RF

of course the .44 is longer than the .480 but unlike the foto, in real life, the .480 looks quite, obviously fatter.....

entrances and exit holes with both bullets in bambi or arnold ziffle are impossible to differentiate.....

we have size .50 harvestor brand muzzleloading sabots for both calibers and have successfully used examples of both these bullets at about 1400 fps. in just under 200 lb. cervidae and sus scrofa.
nice ray!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

piller wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:23 pm In my loads, I use CCI 350 primers when using max loads of H110/WW296. I have found that those 2 powders do not give best results with regular primers. For Longshot, H4227, and Li'l Gun I use WLP or standard CCI 300 primers. If the rifle primers fit without sticking out, I never tried - so I do not know, they would have more flame than a regular pistol primer. A thread posted some time back had pictures for comparison. Regular large rifle primers were similar to Large pistol Magnum primers in the amount of flame put out IF my memory is correct. Do not take my word for it.
As long as the rifle primers do not stick out, they might work. I do not find that the .480 needs magnum primers for everything. The powder column is basically the same length as what is in a .44 Magnum. Being a wider case, it can hold more powder, but it runs at a lower pressure. I might be wrong, but the lower pressure seems to ignite just fine with regular large pistol primers. Again, H110/WW296 are the exceptions in my experience. Load them hot and use a magnum primer or performance is not good. YMMV
Thanks Piller I'll probably run no heavier than 2400 level load data. Good to get some magnum primers on hand just in case.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Fellas so I have a 3 die lee set lined up for the 480 but will this get me by for crimping light loads. I dont think i'll have much luck finding separate taper crimp dies etc
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mick, when will you have your rifle in hand? 8)
Ray, I had not thought of the Ziffles in quite some time. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 3 die pistol set for the .480 has been all I have needed. I bloke 1 carbide sizing die. Lee replaced it.
D. Brian Casady
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:20 am Mick, when will you have your rifle in hand? 8)
Ray, I had not thought of the Ziffles in quite some time. :lol:
Hopefully just a few weeks Bill. Barrel was already done, someones 470 nitro project or something that never eventuated so I got it cheap. Calibre is .474" and as I understand this shouldnt give me problems running .475 jacketed bullets as well as whatever cast I come up with.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

piller wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:08 pm The 3 die pistol set for the .480 has been all I have needed. I bloke 1 carbide sizing die. Lee replaced it.
Thanks Piller.

On the projectiles front in jacketed I have some boxes of Hornady 325XTP and some loose which I believe are 275gn speer and 275gn Barnes XPB.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

The barrel is now getting profiled. Hopefully have some pics shortly of the project in progress.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mickbr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:18 am Fellas so I have a 3 die lee set lined up for the 480 but will this get me by for crimping light loads. I dont think i'll have much luck finding separate taper crimp dies etc
For $25 or so Lee will make you a 'Factory Crimp' die; I'd get the 'rifle' type.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks Doc. Seems Lee isnt taking new orders until volumes die down.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

mickbr wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:28 am The barrel is now getting profiled. Hopefully have some pics shortly of the project in progress.
I'm really looking forward to this.