Marlin 444 First Year Production

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 444 First Year Production

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

I have one with the Monte Carlo stock and 24 inch barrel. Shoots very well but there are a couple things I don't like. The forearm sling swivel stud gives the hand a good wack when I place my hand where I shoot it best. anyone have a good remedy for that other than grinding off the stud? The lever is very narrow width wise ...are any of the big loop replacement levers not just a bigger loop but also have more width than the Marlin in the finger loop area. The Marlin is also too small for my hand with gloves so a not only wider but bigger loop would be good..
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 444 First Year Production

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve owned over two dozen of the Monte Carlo 24” barreled 444’s and I’ve killed a veritable pile of deer with them using home cast bullets exclusively . While I’m not you I’ve never noticed a problem with either of the issues you wish to address . My left hand goes nowhere near the front swivel stud and as to the lever I always wear cotton gloves with the trigger finger cut off . I have pretty large hands and with the cotton gloves I have no issue .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I 'put up with' regular levers on my Marlins and Winchester and Rossi rifles, but like the SLIGHTLY larger ones that are available.

I have no personal use for the freakishly large loops or ones for trick-shooting, but ones with maybe 10% or so more area would sure be more comfortable.

I feel the same about revolver grips; Bisley grips definitely preferred.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Woodsloafer2 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:34 pm I have one with the Monte Carlo stock and 24 inch barrel. Shoots very well but there are a couple things I don't like. The forearm sling swivel stud gives the hand a good wack when I place my hand where I shoot it best. anyone have a good remedy for that other than grinding off the stud? The lever is very narrow width wise ...are any of the big loop replacement levers not just a bigger loop but also have more width than the Marlin in the finger loop area. The Marlin is also too small for my hand with gloves so a not only wider but bigger loop would be good..

I grew up with my mouth watering for one of those Monte Carlo stocked 444's
I spent hours looking at the Western Auto Catalog with the picture of one of those in it, when I was a kid. I have owned the Sporter version with the 22" barrel but never did get one of the the big Monte Carlo versions. But I have always been attracted to them.
NRA Life Member, Patron