Encouragement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Encouragement

Post by JimT »

Some of you reading this don't have the funds available to get custom guns built or to purchase a Freedom Arms. Maybe you are saving toward that goal. Either way, I want to encourage you. YOU CAN DO ALMOST ANYTHING THAT SHOULD BE DONE WITH AN OPEN-SIGHTED SIXGUN WITHOUT A CUSTOM-BUILT SPECIAL!

A good .44 Magnum Ruger or a .45 Ruger will do almost 90% of what the custom 5-shot guns will do, speaking practically. You do not even need to be a handloader with all the fine ammo that is now available. 40 years ago it was not that way, but today we have companies like Buffalo Bore loading heavy bullets at good velocities for these calibers.

In a standard 6-shot Ruger these are good for deer, elk and moose. A hunter who has to use his gun, shooting bear would not be under armed. I doubt any critter shot with one of these loads would be able to tell the difference. The main thing is, you are not in any way "out of the loop".

Practice and practice and practice with your gun. Shoot light loads, medium loads and heavy loads. Learn where it hits at all ranges. Shoot it in the rain. Shoot it in the snow. Shoot under all kinds of light conditions. In the end you will be much more proficient than the guy who is always swapping guns or the guy who shoots 3 or 4 different kinds sporadically.

Accuracy under pressure depends upon familiarity. Get intimately familiar with your gun. Handle it, point it, dry-fire it. Use it until it becomes an extension of your arm. You will have no reason to hang your head when shooting with the boys who can afford lots of toys.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Encouragement

Post by Bearskinner »

Words of Wisdom Jim. While “learning” to be a handgun hunter many moons ago, I carried an absolutely stock SBH in 44 on my belt, and used it for everything. It always performed, with factory ammo. Sometimes simple is better.
That being said, I love handling, building and shooting customs now. I can appreciate the quality and beauty of them.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Some of the best shots I've known only owned one or two guns, but knew how to use them. The main thing is to spend time on the range or wherever you can shoot safely - and shoot. That's one thing I really miss about the western US, plenty of places to shoot and a nice, dry environment that shows you your misses. I think the best tool for me, personally, to work on my pistol skills is a good 22 which lets me shoot relatively inexpensively. This summer I started out with the old model Single Six and then moved to the 44 Special. Should have spent more time with the 22 as I'd only shot air gun for a while, but what I did with it put me back in the groove and then I just had to work at ignoring the recoil of the heavier handgun and working on my sight picture and trigger squeeze.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

“...beware the man with only one gun, for he probably knows how to use it very well...”
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am .

“...beware the man with only one gun, for he probably knows how to use it very well...”
Especially a Rossi..... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Blaine wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:13 am
AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am .

Especially a Rossi..... :wink:

One of the slickest sixguns I've ever handled was a Rossi snubbie built (and tuned) prior to 1976. It was tuned by a missionary who left Brazil due to his wife's cancer and he sold it to a mutual friend who let me coon finger it one time. Smooth as silk even after years of carry and use (examined it late 80's or early 90's). Tight lockup and according to the owner it was very accurate. He treasured that piece more than his "more desirable" Smiths due to it's reliability.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am the guy who is always swapping guns and shooting sporadically -- and I work at a gun range. No excuse.
Prolly ought to take your advice, Jim, and start putting a lot more rounds through the Ruger flat top .44 Special.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very true Sir,
Not much I can't do with my Bowen SBH. Even with the money I spent on it years ago, the cost is nowhere near what a FA or similar revolver costs.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I went thru a variety of rifles and calibers, and handguns, 2 of them, until I stumbled on the 325 Gr load for the 10" superblackhawk. made lots of meat with that one. then I arrived at 45/70 guide gun, and that pretty much froze my routine in place. until I got a Redhawk and started loading 405Gr hard cast in it. Now it's like I have 2 45/70s in the woods.....

but I like shooting the SBH more than the RH :)

point being that very simple off-the-shelf hardware is more than sufficient, and as Jim pointed out, the important thing is to USE it as often as possible.