Think might have found a hunting load for my .44 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Think might have found a hunting load for my .44 mag

Post by Scrumbag »

Well folks,

After a fair bit of trying, think I have an OK hunting load for the .44 mag.

Vihtavouri N110 powder
Magtech Large Pistol Primer
Nosler JSP 240gr

The below is just a 4 shot group from the ladder and I reckon the top right is a pull.

Only 50 yds but I reckon a place to investigate further. Decided to ditch H110 as think really needs a magnum pistol primer and they aren't the easiest of things to find where I am and I was getting very sooty cases with H110 and usually 2 "groups" when I shot, split by elevation.

I will load up some more with that charge weight and report back.

Scrummy
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Think might have found a hunting load for my .44 mag

Post by wvfarrier »

Thatll do. Im using Lil Gun ignited by a large rifle primer for my 44 mag hunting load
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:03 am Thatll do. Im using Lil Gun ignited by a large rifle primer for my 44 mag hunting load
Thanks very much. I think Lil' gun isn't so far from N110 in terms of burn rate. One is certainly aware the rifle has gone off with this load but should work well.

Scrummy
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Oh, yeah! 8)

50 yards that's minute of woodchuck for sure. :lol:
(And nice shootin', by the wy....)

What're estimating for velocity - 1800fps or so?

Plenty for deer, probably black bear, and probably even
moose or elk at closer ranges.

-Stretch
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

stretch wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:08 am Oh, yeah! 8)

50 yards that's minute of woodchuck for sure. :lol:
(And nice shootin', by the wy....)

What're estimating for velocity - 1800fps or so?

Plenty for deer, probably black bear, and probably even
moose or elk at closer ranges.

-Stretch
Hi Stretch,

Thanks very much - Can't take too much credit on the shooting. 50yds and with a low power (2.5x) scout scope rather than iron sights so I'm not sure so impressive

Load is meant to be for deer here in the UK and maybe wild boar if I ever get the chance.

Not Chrono'ed the load, should be about 1830 fps if the software is to be believed. Even if a bit slower should make comfortably over the Muzzle Energy requirement we have here.

Scrummy
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used N110 with satisfactory results. Being a stick powder, it has different properties from H110. It works pretty good in moderate level loads, whereas I get best results with H110 only in the upper end of the power level.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

piller wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:07 pm I have used N110 with satisfactory results. Being a stick powder, it has different properties from H110. It works pretty good in moderate level loads, whereas I get best results with H110 only in the upper end of the power level.
Must admit I am far more used to stick powders than ball.

I struggled getting H110 to burn cleanly. Very sooty cases and a lot of vertical dispersion I found (though that could be due to the wrong primer used. I only have Large Pistol and most sources seem to recommend H110 needs a magnum)

Still, I'm happy it seems to work after some disappointing results with this bullet so far.

Scrummy
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

We’ve had nice results, and clean cases, with N110 in the ballistic twin of the 44 Rem, namely the 357.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

After a little experimentation, I now only use magnum primers with H110. My results with non-magnum primers were the same as yours. Vita Vuori N110 is a good powder for several loads in my experience. Accuracy has been good for all loads I have tried it with. I like stick powder for moderate loads due to the accuracy I get. That is just my opinion based on my results.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

KWK wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:50 pm We’ve had nice results, and clean cases, with N110 in the ballistic twin of the 44 Rem, namely the 357.
It does seem to work well in the "magnum pistol" rounds and I hear our Canadian friends like it for being temperature insensitive as apparently it gets cold in parts up there ;)
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

piller wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:50 pm After a little experimentation, I now only use magnum primers with H110. My results with non-magnum primers were the same as yours. Vita Vuori N110 is a good powder for several loads in my experience. Accuracy has been good for all loads I have tried it with. I like stick powder for moderate loads due to the accuracy I get. That is just my opinion based on my results.
Ah good to know. Most of the pistol cartridges we have loaded here in the UK are Unique / Universal cast boolit plinking loads so Magnum pistol primers aren't the easiest to find (A lot of shops only have Large Pistol as all that tends to be needed for those type loads).

I have a fair bit of H110, if I go past a shop selling Large Pistol Magnum primers I shall try and get some to try with the remaining H110 (Hate wasting power afterall ;)). Also suspect that N110 will be easier to find in future. Hodgdon powder was popular but supply patchy and I think a lot of retailers are moving away from it sadly...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's certainly good enough to get the job done. And it should take anything in North America.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:48 pm That's certainly good enough to get the job done. And it should take anything in North America.
Let’s hope so. Hoping will do our relatively large red deer and fallow deer plus wild boar here