Winchester 1894 SRC replacement saddle ring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1894 SRC replacement saddle ring

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I found a pretty good SRC in .30 WCF made in 1908. The barrel looks really good. but it is missing the saddle ring.

The stud is there, but the ring itself is missing. Are these terribly difficult to replace?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1894 SRC replacement saddle ring

Post by 2ndovc »

I've gotten a couple from Winchester Bob.

https://winchesterbob.com/?page_id=68

I've also found a couple on Gunbroker.

Hope that helps,

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I bought one recently from Texas Bear ,supposedly were leftover original stock from WRA subcontractor and it looks and measures exactly like original I have .
They are partially open and can be installed pretty easy with couple small crescent wrenches padded with tape and a bench vice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks guys!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

One thing I will say: The threads are not the same for all 1894 SRCs!!! OR maybe better: replacement ones are not all the same as the originals!!! I have a 94 SRC made in the 1920s that was given me by an uncle. It had the ring cut off but the stud was still there and easy to remove. In the 1980s there was a guy from Maine selling these in SHOTGUN NEWS and so I bought one and made the above mentioned discovery. I ended up taking it to a local old fashioned hardware store and the owner somehow got it in. Good luck!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Original pre war 1894's had 1/4 - 30 TPI stud hole.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

My grandfather and his brother who lived in Medina county Texas in the early 1900s had identical 1894 SRCs, both in 25-35. The saddle rings had been removed on both, and the studs filed down close to the receivers. Apparently the saddle rings were more in the way than they were useful. Many whitetails were taken with those guns up through the 1950s when we grandkids used them. I recall that the front sight had been broken on one of them, and was replaced with a piece of a "V" nickel. You could still see the "V" on the side of the front sight.
NRA life member
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I agree most hunting rifles that was the first thing to go.
Working carbine maybe different story,I like them on for classic look .But I have never used one for intended purpose..
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

Scott,

If you do not mind an off branded replacement then I would try a hardware store for a welded ring. According to Arthur Pirkle the author of Winchester lever actions repeating Firearms the saddle ring on an 1892 ( which is the same as an 1894 / sorry do not have the 1894 book) measures "1 1/16" OD; 23/32" ID; and made of 11/64" diameter wire. The ends of the ring were pressed together" ....(not welded).
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

bmtshooter wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:59 pm My grandfather and his brother who lived in Medina county Texas in the early 1900s had identical 1894 SRCs, both in 25-35. The saddle rings had been removed on both, and the studs filed down close to the receivers. Apparently the saddle rings were more in the way than they were useful. Many whitetails were taken with those guns up through the 1950s when we grandkids used them. I recall that the front sight had been broken on one of them, and was replaced with a piece of a "V" nickel. You could still see the "V" on the side of the front sight.
Medina County is my home county. Do you know what part of the County or can you send me a name by PM? Just curious.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Pat C wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:45 pm I agree most hunting rifles that was the first thing to go.
Working carbine maybe different story,I like them on for classic look .But I have never used one for intended purpose..
No doubt and that is probably what happened here. I actually have and do use the ring for its intended purpose. I'm not on a horse often these days, but I use my old saddle scabbard on the tractor and sometimes on a 4 wheeler.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Let me know if you still need one I located an original in excellent lightly used shape with original stud.Just unscrew yours and install this one.
Resale the bare stud get some money back.