Seeing more Rossi 92s out there

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Seeing more Rossi 92s out there

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Quite a few new ones for sale here and there, but prices have sure gone up.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Seeing more Rossi 92s out there

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's what I was seeing, Ray, .357s and .44 Mags between $600 and $700. Seems like yesterday the more common ones were in the fives.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That's crazy. I've had three and QC is all over the place with them. I'd like one in 44 Mag, but NOT for 750+.
Last edited by Sarge on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I was very fortunate fifteen years ago when I bought the 20" short rifle used .had been slicked up and is a great shooter. five years ago while recovering from surgery I picked up a NOS 24" 44-40 Emf Hartford off Gunbroker for $360.00 . It only needed the ejector spring replaced and a good cleaning . what fun it is shooting +P loads . :D .
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

My local shop has one for $450.00 It's used, but it looks brand new!
Mint condition in 357 looks like 18 inch barrel.
I'm not sure if it's old or a newer manufactured Rossi.
Kittery Trading Post, Maine
Johnny
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well Jonny , if you decide to buy that one You need to lie low for a for some time. the resident RRH is always lurking , watching , and much like the Gestapo in WW2 is ready to pounce and burn YOU at the stake.................................................................. :o .
Last edited by .45colt on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:57 pm Well Jonny , if you decide to buy that one You need to lie low for a for some time. the resident RRA is always lurking , watching , and much like the Gestapo in WW2 is ready to pounce and burn YOU at the stake.................................................................. :o .
You said that much more nicely that I would have. :wink:

I bought an older Interarms import years ago at a show, new in the box. It shot .38 spls quite well but would occasionally throw a .357 up and out of the action. Mr. Steve/ NKJ fixed it up just right and it an absolute hoot to shoot.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Regardless of whether you are talking Rossi rifles or Big Horn Armory rifles, or vintage collectible leverguns, keep in mind that the price of the firearm is likely fairly static, where is the value of the green slip of paper we exchange for it is the thing that is in flux.

The Rossi’s may not be most peoples dream-rifles, but like toilet paper and canned beans, they serve a basic need at a reasonable price.

I certainly plan on keeping mine, and while they won’t replace might BHA-89 In terms of power or quality, or my M1A in terms of ‘battle rifle’ capability, or an AR 15 in terms of basic functionality, they definitely have a role as a predator control rifle on the farmstead and and potential home protection role as well, plus value as trade-ins towards other goods.

I bought a couple a few years ago for around $400 and they have been functionally quite adequate. PLUS I don’t get quite as upset if I get a stock scratch or ding up the receiver as I do if I take out my 375 Winchester Big Bore 94 and do the same damage.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fact, the Rossis are what is available in their category at that price. Mine work fine. I have to disregard the criticism of anyone with no experience with my rifles regardless of other expertise. ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

This one is a Interarm model. I don't know much about them.
The marking's said Interarm Miami, Florida.
I wonder how old it is?
Are they all forged steel?
Mim part's?
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I am happy with my 2 x357 rossi. They did vary in finishing. The first one had a bevel scraping noses of bullets when loading the mag, lifter looked like melted plastic and extractor was beating up the case rims. That said it stiill fired every length 38 and 357 flawlessly. My next one fed just as well, and was a lot smoother internally to boot.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

JOG wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 am This one is a Interarm model. I don't know much about them.
I wonder how old it is?
Mim part's?
I personally would take an older Interarms (Amadeo) Rossi over anything made after Taurus acquired the company.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JOG wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 am This one is a Interarm model. I don't know much about them.
I wonder how old it is?
Mim part's?
In which case I don't think it has the unnecessary, useless, ugly "safety" sticking out of the top of the bolt. I've been looking for one of those for 20 years, but CAS dried them up and my old sources are no more either. With a bit of work they can be a decent little popper. I still kick myself for not buying a 45 Colt version at Shapel's in Boise back in '01. $250 on the plastic would have been taken care of long ago. The search goes on each time I'm up north, but finding one in that relative price bracket is still not an easy thing.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Paul, I happen to have a pre-safety gun in .45 Colt that is just taking up space in my safe. I thought about putting it on Gunbroker.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I was more curious than interested. I've only seen one of them before.
I have a 40 year old Marlin 1894 in 357.
I did see a nice 2005 Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary in 357.
I like the all steel Ruger single action's quite a bit.
I have a Ruger flat top in 44 spl. that a good shooter!
I might go pick it up if it's still there.
Keep on shooting gentleman!
Johnny :shock:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am Paul, I happen to have a pre-safety gun in .45 Colt that is just taking up space in my safe. I thought about putting it on Gunbroker.
Scott, if you're not in a hurry to off load it, perhaps we might work a deal.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The only Rossi I have anymore is the one that Paco gave me. A .357, it is a full octagon-barreled rifle, not a carbine. The barrel sure makes it heavy! If I were to hunt with this gun I believe i would need a gun-bearer. There is a reason I prefer Trappers. Now it is an accurate rifle and with the 125 gr. Speer Gold Dot bullets my handloads average 2317 fps. Recoil is negligible.
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
No, I am not interested in parting with it. It is from an old dear friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've "a thing" for the long barreled rifles. But admit the carbines can be a lot handier. A good singleshot can kind of be the best of both worlds. My CVA Scout in 35 Whelen has a 25" barrel on it, but carries about as handily as a '94 Winchester carbine in 30 WCF. Follow up shots are a bit slower though...
Paul - in Pereira

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

AmBraCol wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:55 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am Paul, I happen to have a pre-safety gun in .45 Colt that is just taking up space in my safe. I thought about putting it on Gunbroker.
Scott, if you're not in a hurry to off load it, perhaps we might work a deal.
No hurry, it doesn't eat anything. And I am having a lot of fun with my .44 Special 1873.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Rossi in .480 Ruger has never once given me any trouble. Cannot say the same with some other and slightly costlier firearms. My Guide Gun needed some work. It had chatter marks on the bolt that broke 2 ejectors before I did a cautious stoning with a small diamond dust file and a fluff and buff with a Dremel and green polishing compound. A Bomb Proof brand ejector installed after that, and it runs pretty good. No problems since then. The chatter marks still show a little bit. I knocked down the biggest hills and polished everything else. Having done a tiny amount of machine work, I understand that some stainless steels fight you if you try to go too deep on each cut, or if you try to cut too fast. The grade of stainless that Marlin used in that year Guide Gun is one of those versions of stainless. Without a tiny amount of knowledge on how to fix it, that gun would have ended up in someone else's hands.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

piller wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:11 pm My Rossi in .480 Ruger has never once given me any trouble.
My 480 Ruger Rossi has been the same. Not a single problem through more than a thousand shots. The recoil is mild compared to my 44 mag Rossi and the 480 action is very smooth.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Several Rossi leverguns among self and family and friends.

All reasonably good, and some ‘excellent’, considering they are the epitome of ‘generic’ leverguns.

If I had to pick just one levergun as a functional firearm, it might well be a Rossi.

Probably #1 would be a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag or 357 Mag, but I could make a case for the 16” 45 Colt Rossi vs its more cumbersome 20” 45 Colt Marlin equivalent.

Truthfully the 16” 454 Casull Rossi would come the closest to a ‘do-it-all’ levergun among my collection. Lots of power in a handy package and easily downloaded to ‘cowboy’ loads for light duty.

Same gun in 45 Colt would really do as well.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the right gun, .45 Colt can be mild to wild. I think we have all seen the proof of that. A .45 Colt in a Model 92 would be a great do-almost-everything out to 150 yard carbine.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes 1350 FPS with a 360 gr Keith SWC to very light loads in my Rossi 45 Colt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 am Yes 1350 FPS with a 360 gr Keith SWC to very light loads in my Rossi 45 Colt.
Those heavy bullets going 1,200 to 1,400 fps are like bowling-balls - they just don't stop.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cowboy Tutt loaded them up with some custom bullets he had.

manykids
Levergunner

Post by manykids »

I've always been curious about the Rossi 92 in .454 Casull, it seems hard to believe the 92 action is substantial enough for such a high pressure cartridge. When I asked my 'smith about possibly rechambering my. 45 Colt model 95 he told me definitely no.
The opposite of talking is not listening, the opposite of talking is waiting
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We all need to stay calm and restrain ourselves when We discuss these "R" guns that are made south of the border. maybe We should just remark that it shoots O.K.......or it "works for it's intended purpose". Or "it's just all right". some members are upset. in todays world there is no reason to offend. :shock: .
Last edited by .45colt on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

manykids wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:37 am I've always been curious about the Rossi 92 in .454 Casull, it seems hard to believe the 92 action is substantial enough for such a high pressure cartridge. When I asked my 'smith about possibly rechambering my. 45 Colt model 95 he told me definitely no.
The 92 Winchester design with modern metallurgy is one of the strongest (possibly the strongest) lever action made for pistol length cartridges (including the 454 Casull). The Rossi 92 has shown no signs of weakness with even heavy loads (within specs of course).
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Manykids, there is a good article by Paco on this site titled "The 45 Colt in Leverguns". It discusses action strength, has some heavy loads for various 45 Colt leverguns and also talks a bit about the 454 in the Rossi. It is worth a read for sure.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In 2006-2007 I read Pacos article (.45 colt") and had no trouble getting 1700fps using the Keith 265grain cast bullet. one day a light went on in My head and I got a 45-70. :D .