Best gunsmithing screw drivers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Montana22
Levergunner

Best gunsmithing screw drivers

Post by Montana22 »

Looking to get a set of quality screw drivers that work best for Winchester/Browning model 71 that don't bugger up the screw heads.
Ideas?
Thanks
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best gunsmithing screw drivers

Post by Ray Newman »

I bought the below turnscrew/screwdriver set from Brownell's 'bout 20 years ago. And I haven't looked back or regretted it.

I use it extensively on my woodworking tools and machines and firearms. Screwdriver tips fit imperial and metric screw heads. Have not broken or distorted a tip. Not exactly economical, but I have not found a screw slot that a tip will not properly fit.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 43490.aspx
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I enrolled in gunsmith school at TSJC the set Ray gave a link for was on the list of tools. We found the heat treatment was a bit too hard. I have broken a couple tips over the years. A good set nonetheless but I started making my own turn screws. Mauser firing pins make fantastic turn screws!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I would avoid the Wheeler Engineering set. I've found that you can't get replacement bits which are coded with some internal bit number. I just checked their site again and there's a negative review on there where he calls them out for not being able to get replacement bits.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I’ve tried various ‘premium’ ones from Brownell’s and other websites over the years, but wind up coming back to the basics of getting tools I can actually examine at the local Ace Hardware to see how well they are made.

I do use a lot of the sets with individual ‘bits’, but wind up with a lot of regular cheap individual screwdrivers that I file and grind and harden myself to get a job done. It is a motley assembly and takes up a lot more space than it probably should in the tool drawer, but works for me.

The biggest problem I have is with ordinary hex wrenches. It seems like the sizes have to be snug or they just peen themselves into round objects.

For that reason I really prefer the Torx - Sometimes I wind up using a Torx wrench in an Allen screw just to get a non-slip fit.

I think part of the problem is that there are so many incremental sizes between metric and inch that it is easy to get something not quite snug enough and with the soft metal they tend to use pretty soon things are really messed up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'll agree on the Brownells set. When I first got it I thought, "I'll never use all of these bits". I was wrong.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Doc, you ever try to cut down an oversize hex wrench to fit? You can go through a PILE of files before you find one hard enough to scratch a good hex, I've done many over the years. The rule I've found is, the longer amt of time you spend fitting a hex wrench surely determines that you will never need that off sized wrench again.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I've used the magnatip set from Brownells for years,they are ad good as I've seen .And I have half dozen different brands.

I highly polish any that come in contact with.high end firearms like Colt SAA or Similier . Also place a piece of thin paper between tip and slot.
Montana22
Levergunner

Post by Montana22 »

great responses folks, thanks.Just ordered the brownells magna tip, 44pc set, should get me started. I looked at the weaver sets and others and just didnt have any faith in them.
All my gunsmithing efforts in the past have been rivets and roll pins. Im into something new now. And its getting exciting.
thanks
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:18 pm I would avoid the Wheeler Engineering set. I've found that you can't get replacement bits which are coded with some internal bit number. I just checked their site again and there's a negative review on there where he calls them out for not being able to get replacement bits.
Good information, I bought the 64 piece set of Wheelers over 20 years ago, They have always worked great, but I have never broken or lost a bit.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I have the large Weaver set. The quality is not the best; several bits are poorly ground. However, it's gotten job done so far. I'd buy a Brownell's set were I to do it over again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:39 am
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:18 pm I would avoid the Wheeler Engineering set. I've found that you can't get replacement bits which are coded with some internal bit number. I just checked their site again and there's a negative review on there where he calls them out for not being able to get replacement bits.
Good information, I bought the 64 piece set of Wheelers over 20 years ago, They have always worked great, but I have never broken or lost a bit.
My wheeler set could get into tight places with that little tiny ratchet, but the bits were also brittle, and several broke. I guess better break the bit than the screw though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I own two Chapman screwdriver sets, and they've served me well for many decades. But I use them mostly when I'm at the range, or a gun show, just because the compact size of the case makes them easy to haul along.
At home on my gunsmithing bench I have a Brownells set I bought many years ago, and it's slightly better than the Chapman, simply because it's a larger variety of tips to choose from.

As for Allen wrenches, I have numerous sets in SAE and Metric. Individual wrenches, folding sets, and I have no problem with them fitting Allen head screws. I have occasionally touched up an end on an Allen wrench by using my 1" belt sander to square off the tip, and then deburring it with a small hand held stone.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had a Chapman set. Maybe I just got a batch with a bad heat treatment, but mine were brittle and I had several brake on me. I've good luck with the Brownells though. I have broken a couple of the very thin ones, but that's rare.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Brownell's also offers gun specific set such as Winchester 1892, Marlin 336, they include all the bits for the exact screws on that gun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have the Chapman. The lady I spoke to about the bits breaking said that’s by design. It protects screws. Replacement bits are cheap and service is fast.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JB wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm I had a Chapman set. Maybe I just got a batch with a bad heat treatment, but mine were brittle and I had several brake on me. I've good luck with the Brownells though. I have broken a couple of the very thin ones, but that's rare.
Brownells and Chapman are both great for me, and both had an occasional issue. But opposite issues! Chapman tips are very hard, and can occasionally snap a tip. But they're lifetime warranted, so they'll replace them if they break. Brownells seem to be softer, and I've occasionally twisted a tip off, and they don't warranty them, so had to buy them.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:37 pm
JB wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm I had a Chapman set. Maybe I just got a batch with a bad heat treatment, but mine were brittle and I had several brake on me. I've good luck with the Brownells though. I have broken a couple of the very thin ones, but that's rare.
Brownells and Chapman are both great for me, and both had an occasional issue. But opposite issues! Chapman tips are very hard, and can occasionally snap a tip. But they're lifetime warranted, so they'll replace them if they break. Brownells seem to be softer, and I've occasionally twisted a tip off, and they don't warranty them, so had to buy them.
Actually Brownells does warranty the magna bits. They've replaced the ones I've broken free.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JB wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:45 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:37 pm
Actually Brownells does warranty the magna bits. They've replaced the ones I've broken free.
Thanks! I talked to someone there who gave me different info. Guess I need to call them again, and see if I get a better answer.