Newbie 50-100 now has donor rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Montana22
Levergunner

Newbie 50-100 now has donor rifle

Post by Montana22 »

Hi all
Just picked up my donor rifle today, early serial number Browning model71 in as new condition, just came out of a 600 gun collection. So am on my way trying to learn as much as I can with your help to fulfill this build.
Thinking of building a src if I can find the correct barrel bands and forearm, if not then octagon short rifle.20 or 22" barrel.
Lots of questions, please chime in if you have any experience.

1: any difference between 50ex and 50-100-450 throat\free bore as far as loading longer bullets?(need to know what to order in my new barrel)

2: any problem in the action loading longer heavier 50 cal bullets?

3: action machining required for the longer 50 col?

4: action machining required for 50cal from 348cal to work properly?

5: locating a longer full length mag tube for 50cal?

6: locating mag tube hangers if barrel bands are unavailable?

7: locating src forearm?

8: locating metal crescent butt?(keeping pistol grip stock and fitting crescent to it)

9: best 20" barrel twist for 500gr lead bullets?

10: locating 86 carbine short rear ladder sight?

11: info if mag tube needs to be bulged at action to help feed longer col?

12: any ballistic info on this short of a rifle?

13: any other info to share that I need to know?

This is my first venture into a lever gun build so could sure use any help.
Thanks
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Newbie 50-100 now has donor rifle

Post by M. M. Wright »

No. 10 will be expensive but new ones are obtainable. The barrel will need a twist rate that matches the length/weight of the bullet you wish to use. The one I had used an original Winchester barrel that was marked 50 Express which was intended for light/short bullets that looked like shoe buttons. I forget what size but I do remember that they did not group worth a flip. Treebone sells 90% stocks and butt plates. I think your magazine tube will work as is unless you want a longer one. Aftermarket saddle rings and their staples are available. I would check with Green Mountain for a barrel though it may have to come through Track of the Wolf. Maybe Numrich has original magazine hangers. Just remember they are rotary dovetails and don't slide in from the side. I'm pretty sure you'll need a set of guides to make it feed correctly but I've no idea where to get them. I let my brass, dies and molds go with mine when I traded it away.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Montana22
Levergunner

Post by Montana22 »

Mm Wright. Tree bones site says his stuff won't work on miroku rifles , I do want a full length tube.
I Will check with green mtg. Not sure what "track of the wolf " is but Will research.
I am familiar with the rotary dovetails, thanks for the reminder.
Finding dies does seem to be a problem. Will call Ch4d on Monday far dies.
I will have to look into the guides you mention. Thanks

Are you familiar with winchesterbarrels.com?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Montana, do you have a copy of Mike Venturino's "Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West"? He has a four-page chapter on the .50-110 out of the Model 1886. He said the originals came with either 1:60 twist for the express version designed around 300-grain bullets, and 1:54 for the one designed for 450-grain bullets. Neither of those will stabilize anything much heavier, even if you could get them to feed. I have a Green Mountain 1:24 twist barrel on my unfinished .50-70 rolling block, but then I plan to shoot 650-grain bullets from my Buffalo Arms mold.
Montana22
Levergunner

Post by Montana22 »

Hi bill, yes I do have a copy of mike venturinos lever guns.
I have lots more studying to do on this subject, I would think to be down in the 1-20 range , maybe I'm way out in left field on that one.
This is why I won't order my barrel till I feel comfortable with my knowledge gained on all my questions in my original post.
Thanks for chiming in.
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

Try these guys for a barrel. Roy the barrel maker is ( Winchestergunbarrels) out of Flodida. May be winchesterbarrels.com
Montana22
Levergunner

Post by Montana22 »

black river, I have been in contact with winchesterbarrels.com. Since I am doing most my own smithing they are looking like the ones to buy a complete barrel from, thanks.
Montana22
Levergunner

Post by Montana22 »

5,6,7,8,9, I have info on, doesnt mean that i am not looking for more info. Machining info I need?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The Browning is a nice platform to start with. Sent return PM. Good luck on your project.