Frank & Jesse James........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Frank & Jesse James........

Post by DarryH »

Does anyone know if either James boy ever carried a lever action rifle?? If so, what brand and model?? I also am curious if anyone has a pic of the actual Remington 1875 Frank James surrendered to Gov. Crittendon?? My great great grandparents had Jesse in their house for a meal, and he spent the night sleeping in their barn. There is a whole story that was published in the newspaper back in the day. Frank spent the same night at a house a few miles away.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Frank & Jesse James........

Post by JimT »

Jesse.JPG
This photo of Jesse James with a Marlin-Burgess Model 1881 has been around a long time.

This link is about the rifle, not Jesse ... https://www.forgottenweapons.com/biogra ... w-burgess/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Don't know about any of their guns, but that reminds me of a story my dad told me, several times, regarding the James Brothers. They had a sister, who lived over at what is called Cane Hill, (that much I know is true) so they had been known to travel through this area, where I live on their way back and forth, to MO. At any rate, the old timers, all dead now, had told him, that they would or had used a place to camp on our farm in their travels. It's a small bluff area on the north side of the mountain, with a seep of a spring, which my dad always called Dripping Springs. Just a story, who knows if there is any truth to it. It never looked like a much of a camping spot to me, but maybe that was the whole idea of it. Of course they had probably camped hundreds of time in hundreds of different places, over several states, but I still find it interesting.
NRA Life Member, Patron
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Frank James' Remington is on display in the Missouri capitol building.
As for my own Jesse James story.
After moving from Kentucky, my maternal great-grandparents ran a chili parlor in Weston, MO.
Their regular customers were mostly traveling men. After completing his after school chores at the parlor, one of the regulars would usually walk my grandfather home after dark.
One of those trusted regular customers was a "cattle buyer" named Tom Howard.