Ok Guys. J-Frame or SP 101( S&W wins this time)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ok Guys. J-Frame or SP 101( S&W wins this time)

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been looking at both and there are a couple of each that I like but haven't decided yet. I've had exceptional revolvers from both S&W and Ruger, but I've had some real stinkers from both as well.
This isn't going to replace my pocket autos and I'll continue to carry my G26, Sig P238 or Commander on occasion, the revolver will be in addition to the pack. The 9mm Shield has been taken out of the rotation. Logical or not, I'm not confident in it as much as I was.
So,
Which one are you packing these days?

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ok Guys. J-Frame or SP 101?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I pack neither revolver currently, but have owned and shot both and prefer the beefier build of the SP101. Might need a bit of trigger work, but you'll never wear it out.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

SP1001 with 2 1/2" barrel in 357. Great little gun fits my hand great, great for shooting more than just standard 38 loads. But Im not the least bit opionated about them.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Ruger will hold up better on a steady diet of hot loads...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

No doubt that the SP101 will stand up longer to heavy loads. And if you want to shoot out to 25 yards accurately, it is good for that.

But, I don't know that I will ever shoot enough heavy loads through my J frame to wear it out and it is definitely smaller and lighter for pocket carry. I'll take the j frame in as light a configuration as I can get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

We had a couple of SP-101 2005 or so, a 2 1/4" and 3". Both shot POA/POI at 25 yards. The biggest aggravation with those revolvers was sharp edges on the trigger guards and/or trigger, as well as that plastic insert that goes in the grip. Once those things were corrected, they were fine. These are tough, accurate little revolvers that won't pee down their leg if you feed them hot 200 grain hardcast. If I was still fooling with the 357, I'd probably have a short SP-101 around.

I’ve shot several old S&W Model 38s and just recently, got to shoot a friend’s pre-lock 638 quite a bit. In my mind they are what a pocket gun should be. That little 638 was dead on with 158s and I managed to go 5 for 5 on a 4” spinner at 15 paces, twice in a row with it. Wish I’d bought a couple of them before prices went nuts.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Smith Model 63 and 60,and sp's in 32 h&r ,32 federal. Much prefer the grips. trigger pull and lighter weight of the Smiths, bought the sp's because they're 32's. I'm really liking 32's alot more lately.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For a pocket gun that you really do not notice in your pocket, the S&W 340 is hard to beat ...
IMG_0038.JPG
When it goes off it lights up the place. Not pleasant to shoot with heavy loads but they will do the job if you can.
bang.JPG
The gun is much nicer with wadcutters in .38 Special cases with 3 gr. of Bullseye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If you miss, it looks like the fireball will get them anyway!

The 340 is on the short list as is the 640 Pro, though the 649 is stainless and weight wise is close to the Ruger. I've narrowed down the SP ot a blue/black one in .357 and the 2 1/4" barrel. Willing to be I'll end up with a Smith and a Ruger, try them both for a few months and put one in a drawer somewhere and use the heck out of the other.

jb 8)

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

S&W. Specifically a pre WWII model.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have several J-frames, but I have almost bought one of the SP 101's on a couple of occasions. The Ruger may be more shootable, being a slightly beefier gun, which I guess is the reason I didn't buy one, because I prefer the lighter J-frame for actual carry in the application that I would use one in. Still, I might have to give the SP 101 a try one of these days.
NRA Life Member, Patron
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

New Colt King Cobra 3" in .357. Its built on their D frame size but is 6 shot, not 5. Hold one at the gun store and see what you think.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Colt is a very nice revolver but it essentially duplicates the Speed Six that I have. It's great for belt carry but it a little big/ heavy for what I'm looking for presently. I'll probably pick up one eventually. We've always been a Colt family, my dad loves his new Python. :D

jb 8)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

SP101 is sturdier and stainless. The Smith is a Smith and lighter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Capt. Obvious! :D

This afternoon I stopped by a shop where I was able to handle an SP 101 and compare it to a new S&W 442. I was instantly reminded why I'd liked the 642 I'd given to one of the boys and bought it. The Ruger is a nice revolver, but the S&W fit for what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the input, pretty much reinforced what I was thinking. I was hoping the Ruger would work, but it's not that much smaller or lighter than my Speed Six.
Plus this new S&W doesn't have that stupid keyhole on the side either!

jb 8)

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a 3" SP101 a few years ago and for a shooter it's top shelf. The problem is the 3" barrel makes it less than handy as a pocket gun. On the other hand my 2" S&W 640 is great and almost as heavy. Neither is comfortable to shoot with full power .357 loads.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.