Your Advice For A Bullpup 12 Gauge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Your Advice For A Bullpup 12 Gauge

Post by Blaine »

Can't carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle in WA....
I'd like to replace the 870 Tactical with a reliable 12 gauge bullpup.
They seem nice and short, compact and I could keep it handy, unloaded and legal, with a nearby mag to slip in if needed.
Who make a reliable model?
Thanks!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Your Advice For A Bullpup 12 Gauge

Post by AJMD429 »

I know the K-word is forbidden in some circles, but their bullpup shotguns seem to be reliable from what I've heard. I had a Mossberg Bullpup but found it was awkward for me and wound up putting it back into 'pistol-grip' configuration.

Then for awhile I had a Striker (the 12-shot 'revolver') but it was kinda klunky and slow, plus they converted them to 'NFA' status, and it was just not worth the hassle.

If I were going to get a bullpup 12 gauge at this point, I think I'd try their dual-tube one - https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/shotguns/ksg/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I looked at a bunch of various semiauto bullpup shotguns, and watched numerous reviews on Youtube also. I own an AR15 style semiauto shotgun, but I also am interested in buying a bullpup style, so been researching the vast array offered.
Surprisingly one that stood out above many others as not being picky about ammo was also the cheapest one out there! The SDS Imports BLP-12 barely over $300 at Sportsman's Warehouse, and the reliability in running numerous brands and types of 12 ga. through it put it at the top of my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gQRso ... ngPreacher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC51b9l ... untreviews

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/267543
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

A curious mind wants to know the country of origin for the the SDS BLP-12?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:45 pm .

I know the K-word is forbidden in some circles, but their bullpup shotguns seem to be reliable from what I've heard. I had a Mossberg Bullpup but found it was awkward for me and wound up putting it back into 'pistol-grip' configuration.

Then for awhile I had a Striker (the 12-shot 'revolver') but it was kinda klunky and slow, plus they converted them to 'NFA' status, and it was just not worth the hassle.

If I were going to get a bullpup 12 gauge at this point, I think I'd try their dual-tube one - https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/shotguns/ksg/
Nice, but I would want one with a magazine....Illegal to keep in the rig loaded in WA....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Boge Quinn did a GunBlast video on this one and he highly recommended it....There's one at a local toy store, too.
https://americantactical.us/6427/detail.html

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ray Newman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:59 pm A curious mind wants to know the country of origin for the the SDS BLP-12?
SDS is a Turkish company. I have a couple of their 1911A1s and so far they have been 100% reliable and a lot of fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) My birthday is tomorrow....just sayin' :P :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Happy Birthday Blaine!!! be sure to let us see your new pup when you go shooting it !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 pm Happy Birthday Blaine!!! be sure to let us see your new pup when you go shooting it !
Thanks...It's "Back To The Seventies Party" for me today.
Welcher's, my toy store, is supposed to have them in stock, but I can't get there until Wed... :D This will be a done deal if they are still in stock. :D

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I know a guy with a Kel-Tec KSG. I fired that thing and I gotta say........
With the end of the barrel so close to your face, the concussion felt like it loosened your teeth every time you fired it. I was shooting 3" buck, however. Can't imagine firing that in an enclosed area. The action wasn't very smooth but I don't think it had been fired much. Would probably smooth up with use, but I ain't gonna be the one to do it.
I would try one first if possible.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine, are you referring to the ATI unit with magazines? that one is tempting me. like i need another hole in my head. although all i got for my birthday was a HEAT WAVE !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:19 am I know a guy with a Kel-Tec KSG. I fired that thing and I gotta say........
With the end of the barrel so close to your face, the concussion felt like it loosened your teeth every time you fired it. I was shooting 3" buck, however. Can't imagine firing that in an enclosed area. The action wasn't very smooth but I don't think it had been fired much. Would probably smooth up with use, but I ain't gonna be the one to do it.
The KelTec was never in the running...no magazines...that was the essential part of the search. Bullpup because it's short and will be in a little bag in the front seat. An extra mag will go on the front under-rail for quick access.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 am Blaine, are you referring to the ATI unit with magazines? that one is tempting me. like i need another hole in my head. although all i got for my birthday was a HEAT WAVE !
So Blaine all you got is another day older and Grizz just got more hot and ornery!

Blaine check out Black Aces sold a few here people seem happy with them. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:16 pm
Grizz wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 am Blaine, are you referring to the ATI unit with magazines? that one is tempting me. like i need another hole in my head. although all i got for my birthday was a HEAT WAVE !
So Blaine all you got is another day older and Grizz just got more hot and ornery!

Blaine check out Black Aces sold a few here people seem happy with them. Todd/3leg
That Lever Action was nice! :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I love my Kel Tec KS7, but its tube magazine eliminates the unloaded option. I handled a neat bullpup semiauto last week that came with 2 5-round mags, but danged if I can remember the brand. By appearances it could be a proper candidate. The dealer was raffling it off, limited to 50 tickets sold, so I could be bringing it home soon...
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Itsa pump not auto. If that matters.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Blaine wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:15 pm
OldWin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:19 am I know a guy with a Kel-Tec KSG. I fired that thing and I gotta say........
The KelTec was never in the running...no magazines...that was the essential part of the search. Bullpup because it's short and will be in a little bag in the front seat. An extra mag will go on the front under-rail for quick access.

Good call!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I keep looking at these. A friend has one and loves it.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/black-aces ... 2706998543

I've bought a couple of guns from Atlantic Firearms. No issues.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here's another turkey bull pup, $389, with left side charging handle, which i like better than the ar15 rear charger. don't know if the mags interchange with the ATI mags. it looks a lot like the ATI gun.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/century-ce ... 7450690172
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A number of these semiauto shotguns in both bullpup, and full length designs had poor reviews in actual firing because they were sensitive to what type of ammo was used. I eliminated anything in my searches that was finicky about ammo, as it's no good for anything if it wont shoot most any ammo you ty in it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:51 am A number of these semiauto shotguns in both bullpup, and full length designs had poor reviews in actual firing because they were sensitive to what type of ammo was used. I eliminated anything in my searches that was finicky about ammo, as it's no good for anything if it wont shoot most any ammo you ty in it.
The ATI is on it's way with an extra mag....

The Boge Quinn Gunblast video suggested the ATI would digest most anything. I have a limited supply of 3" 00 buck, 2 3/4" 00 buck, a buttload of 3" magnum BBB steel, and some field loads of 7 1/2.....Whatever works is what I'll get more of. Although once I determine a load and reliability, this won't be a "plinker". I'm ever so hopeful that the field loads function really good. :lol: It comes with 3 choke tubes, and field loads with a full choke at close range would be very good.
Last edited by Blaine on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

looks like a lotta fun to shoot. i can see that as a really practical gun. load for bear. or deer. or vampires, or birds even, whatever ...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD MAN! :wink:
I WOULD GET A REGULAR PUMP GUN OR SEMI AUTO WITH AN EXTENDED TUBE.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:57 am HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD MAN! :wink:
I WOULD GET A REGULAR PUMP GUN OR SEMI AUTO WITH AN EXTENDED TUBE.....
Thanks 8)
I like the very short length and the fact that it has magazines because I can't carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle in WA....It will have a very specialized job: To hide in the rig close at hand and be ready to go as soon as I put in the mag (which will slide onto the front under rail for easy keeping)
I'll retain my 870 Tactical for everything else.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have you checked Wa. laws as it pertains to carrying the shotgun, and a loaded mag not in the gun? Many states consider the gun loaded if the magazine and gun are both readily accessible. So the loaded magazine can't be in the passenger compartment if the gun is also there.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:10 am Have you checked Wa. laws as it pertains to carrying the shotgun, and a loaded mag not in the gun? Many states consider the gun loaded if the magazine and gun are both readily accessible. So the loaded magazine can't be in the passenger compartment if the gun is also there.
States will vary, but:

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded rifle or shotgun in vehicle—Unlawful use or possession—Unlawful use of a loaded firearm—Penalty.
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.320, or upon an off-road vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.365, if:
(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, or upon an off-road vehicle, except as allowed by department rule; and
(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.
(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if:
(a) The person negligently discharges a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway; or
(b) The person discharges a firearm from within a moving motor vehicle or from upon a moving off-road vehicle.
(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle or upon an off-road vehicle, and unlawful use of a loaded firearm are misdemeanors.
(4) This section does not apply if the person:
(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;
(b) Has been granted a disability designation as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities; or
(c) Discharges the rifle or shotgun from upon a nonmoving motor vehicle, as long as the engine is turned off and the motor vehicle is not parked on or beside the maintained portion of a public road, except as authorized by the commission by rule. This subsection (4)(c) does not apply to off-road vehicles, which are unlawful to use for hunting under RCW 46.09.480, unless the person has a department permit issued under RCW 77.32.237.
(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.

So, I can't slide the extra mag on the underneath rail....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV