Any flintlock riflemen here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Any flintlock riflemen here?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've never gotten serious about it, but I find the study and use of the flintlock longrifle calling to me as I get older. Maybe it is the slower pace and deliberate nature of the sport/skill. Kind of a less is more equation, with a lot of history and tradition thrown in.
My flint experience is primarily with smoothbores. I had a Jackie Brown 20-gauge "poorboy" for a while and enjoyed shooting patched round balls through it. The ignition sure was fast. This is what often surprises folks unfamiliar with a well-tuned lock fitted with a good quality flint.
If you are a longrifleman, tell us what you shoot.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Any flintlock riflemen here?

Post by TraderVic »

I've been thinking along the same lines Bill.
I'm currently wrestling with myself about building a Jim Kibler kit.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have several flinters:

Being a lefty, I had my first flintlock rifle custom built by Art Knolty back in 1983. It is the top rifle in the picture. It is a full stock early Hawken style with a 36" .62 caliber 1-66 twist Green Mountain barrel, L&R lock, figured maple stock, and all iron furniture. It weighs 11 pounds and fires a 342 grain round ball at 1,600 fps using 120 grains of FFg powder. I mainly use it for rendezvous shoots, but I have taken a couple deer with it.

The next one down is a .62 caliber smoothbore trade gun which was also custom built by Art Knolty. It was his personal gun and I bought it from his widow after he passed in April of 2000. I used it primarily for dove and quail hunting until the libs in control of Kalifornia banned the use of lead for hunting. It is now relegated to shooting clay birds.

The next gun is also a left handed custom, built by Don Reimer. I purchased it at a rendezvous in 2001 from Joe Williams' Gun Works out of Springfield, Oregon. It is a transitional style and has a 30" swamped 1-56" twist .54 caliber Colerain barrel with round bottom rifling, checkered walnut stock, and CC&R lock. It weighs just 7 pounds and is a much lighter, less recoiling alternative to my .62 Hawken.

The pistol is a .45 caliber also built by Art Knolty in 1989 for his personal use, which I purchased from his widow in 2001. It has a 8" barrel, walnut stock, and all brass mountings. I foolishly sold it to an acquaintance who also knew Art Knolty because he offered me a good bit more than I had paid for it.

I still enjoy shooting my flinters at the occasional mountain man rendezvous held around here in the spring, and at the muzzleloader silhouette matches held in late summer at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club in Burney, CA. I recently saw a beautiful new Pedersoli double barreled side-by-side 20 gauge flintlock shotgun that I would love to have, but the $1,800 price tag was a bit rich for me.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have only dabbled with Pedersoli flintlocks but I agree that a lot of satisfaction is gained learning how to reliably shoot with a flinter. I have just aquired a smooth bore percussion Muzzleloader as I missed the slower pace of hunting. The history behind these firearms is also so interesting, using one makes you realise just how easy we have it nowadays.
Shasta, you certainly have some nice guns.. :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think a flintlock pistol would be very interesting and fun. I just can't get past the kit prices right now, but looking toward the rainbow. It would be a good fire starter and fuse igniter. I think. Maybe?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with flintlocks. It does seem that the old TV shows and movies made them out to be slower than thew actually were.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd probably jump on a double barrel Howdah flinter, but $$$$$$$
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A short video on a flintlock rifle, not what I would call slow lock time.

https://youtu.be/yqyJ_T8Z7-A
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those flintlocks are not cheap anywhere, havent seen a decent one fir less than $400. Wish you luck on finding one.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:11 pm Those flintlocks are not cheap anywhere, havent seen a decent one fir less than $400. Wish you luck on finding one.
Where are you seeing them for $400? :o Made me look. Midway USA has some "Traditions" brand for under $400. Anything that looks halfway decent starts at $500 on the same site. What gets me is the cost of locks doubling since the last time I perused Track Of The Wolf. :shock:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My only flinter currently is my Pedersoli Mortimer 12ga though I have been eyeballing the Lyman Great Plains signature series flintlock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AmBraCol wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:46 pm
3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:11 pm Those flintlocks are not cheap anywhere, havent seen a decent one fir less than $400. Wish you luck on finding one.
Where are you seeing them for $400? :o Made me look. Midway USA has some "Traditions" brand for under $400. Anything that looks halfway decent starts at $500 on the same site. What gets me is the cost of locks doubling since the last time I perused Track Of The Wolf. :shock:
Gunshops, pawn shops and gunshows in TX, AR and MO mainly T/C's. (wanna start a tab?) PS,, BPI has 24 and 28gauge brass shells in stock but not .410 ir .32 gauge!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:27 pm
AmBraCol wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:46 pm
Gunshops, pawn shops and gunshows in TX, AR and MO mainly T/C's. (wanna start a tab?) PS,, BPI has 24 and 28gauge brass shells in stock but not .410 ir .32 gauge!

Didn't see any in MO or AR last month while up north. In fact, no BP arms at all in any of the shops I stopped at. Well, there was a very nice 1851 Colt repro at one place, but that was all I recall seeing. Can't remember the last time I saw a flinter in that area (SW MO/NW AR). Not that I get up there all that often.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have about six left handed flint guns and one right handed. Will be shooting my 40 cal swamped A weight Issac Haines in the sunflower state games this weekend. Went to shoot the spring nationals at Friendship Indiana a few weeks ago.
reivertom
Levergunner

Post by reivertom »

I have to say, flintlock shooting is some of the most satisfying shooting there is once you learn to slow down. If you can shoot a flinter well, your modern gun shooting will improve also. After the follow through required for flintlock accuracy, when you shoot a fast lock like on a bolt action, things seem easier.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Marvin S wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 pm I have about six left handed flint guns and one right handed. Will be shooting my 40 cal swamped A weight Issac Haines in the sunflower state games this weekend. Went to shoot the spring nationals at Friendship Indiana a few weeks ago.
So, like Me and Cowboy Tutt, you are descended from Wagon Train Dropouts. Back when I grew up in Pancake City we didn't have many people shooting flintlock guns out there.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

reivertom wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:25 pm I have to say, flintlock shooting is some of the most satisfying shooting there is once you learn to slow down. If you can shoot a flinter well, your modern gun shooting will improve also. After the follow through required for flintlock accuracy, when you shoot a fast lock like on a bolt action, things seem easier.
I agree, my pistol shooting improved after I learned how to shoot a flintlock pistol. I let a former female police officer who shot competively have a go as she had never fired a Muzzleloader, she was hitting dead center, so I knew it was my poor shooting and not my pistol.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vic, those Kiblers are whispering to me as well.
Here is what we are talking about, fellas.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/rifle-kits
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Jim Kibler puts out the best kit on the market right now. I've known Jim for over ten years now and he is vary particular about his work. He is always trying to improve his products and they are cnc made items. Don't know how many of his rifles that you have seen but his custom ones are works of art. He machines his barrels in shop from Green Mountain barrel blanks and most of the holes are pre-drilled on his stocks. I haven't personally put one together but I know plenty of builders that have and they say his kits are the easiest to assemble of all the kits out there.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I wish he did a jaeger rifle kit
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Jim currently offers two rifle kits, a Southern Mountain Rifle and a Colonial Rifle. Jim has stated he is bringing out a third kit, perhaps this fall, a smoothbore fowler.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Pennsylvania offers a late season "flintlock only" deer hunt. I hunted each year with 7 other guys within a tract of public lands in Mifflin County. Typically, 1 or 2 hunters would bring home a deer unless it was sleeting. Sleet or rain has a way of getting into the pan and the powder becomes ruined. My rifle was a 45 caliber Hawken model by TC and fitted with a Lyman receiver sight. I used English flints and they seemed to do the job nicely. Out to about 70 yards or so, my flintlock was quite accurate and would shoot all bullets into a Coke can sized target. I seated round ball over a cloth patch.

I sold my flintlock when we moved away to Florida. Now I hunt the early ML season in Virginia with my modern CVA Optima.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a few flinters. Wish I could spend more time with them. Maybe in a few years.

I've always wanted to make a killdeer rifle. That would be a fun project in retirement! :D
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Super fun!
Early this year I was reading family history stuff and what do you know... I now have a lowly Rajasthan made .62 cal Fusil de Chasse smoothy.
I like it. It shoots great.
My first child - '94 30-30
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Another left handed flintlock shooter here.
Ever since I got my first flintlock rifle I’m afraid the rest of my collection has been ignored. Achieving proficiency with a flintlock longrifle requires some skill sets unique to those rifles and locks. Once you have the skills and good quality equipment, you won’t give up anything to another rifle within the ballistic limitations inherent in the round all and primitive sights. For anyone interested, I recommend you find a muzzleloading club in your area and drop by when they’re having a shoot. You’ll get an introduction and opportunity to fire one at just about any club you visit. All you need to do is show up and show some interest... somebody will put a rifle in your hands and give you a chance to see what it’s all about.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Ended up not shooting the .40 IH but instead used my .32 Tennessee flint rifle in the state games. Won a gold medal in men’s flint rifle a gold in traditional pistol. It was a very humid day so had to deal with mud in the pan😁
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Marvin S wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:54 pm Ended up not shooting the .40 IH but instead used my .32 Tennessee flint rifle in the state games. Won a gold medal in men’s flint rifle a gold in traditional pistol. It was a very humid day so had to deal with mud in the pan😁
Excellent..... 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nicely done, Marvin. Guessing that hard, dry fouling was not an issue that day. 8)
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Thanks guys. It sure wasn’t Bill😁
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I have a .54 cal. Southern Mountain Rifle.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That Southern Mountain Rifle is really beautiful.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

JDL, I am particularly fond of the Southern mountain rifles, and yours is a dazzling example. Who built it, if I may ask?
I like the larger calibers. Your .54 would be good medicine just about anywhere in North America.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Sorry for the late response but, been really busy.
Thank you Scott.
Bill, A good friend of mine, John Colvin, made that one for me. My original intent was for elk hunting but, I was never lucky enough to draw a tag. It has worked fine on W/T deer though. :wink:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Anyone recognize this flinter?
He had to work a bit harder to get the right shot, but won an award for that buck.

Me, I am lazy and used my old .308:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I recently saw a Pedersoli double flintlock 20 gauge shotgun that an acquaintance had purchased and I am very interested in getting one:

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/pro ... 20-cyl-mod

It seemed to be very good quality and very attractive, but it sure is spendy!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that is really beautiful. imagine if that were the only field gun to provision the house.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Charles, I see that he still doesn't smile with a game animal.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
An astute observation. He does still eat them though.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/