New member from Maine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

New member from Maine

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

I have just found this forum a couple days ago and decided to subscribe. Lots of really great information here for guns similar to my own. I grew up admiring my Dad's 348 which I now have. Towards the end of his hunting he had a 2x Redfield long eye relief scope mounted to the barrel. May have ruined a little collector value but it is a very fast gun to get on target with. I have another 348 with a receiver peep sight an Redfield sourdough front that I recently acquired. It has been re-stocked with a high comb that fits like my shotguns. It has already been a good shooter but I think a recoil pad will be in order. Today's testing should determine that. I am heading down to the woods lot where I have a range set up to do some testing with both of them. Maybe a little work with a model 88 308 too. Will also be doing some work on cutting out some new trails too. Will be a busy afternoon and the weather here today is perfect for it. I have searched here on the 348 and have done a lot of enjoyable reading. Thanks to all who contributed! I am not much for posting a lot of stuff but will contribute where I can offer something possibly of value. Greatly enjoy reading everything and have learned some things here already. Thank you for an excellent forum!
piller
Posting leader...

Re: New member from Maine

Post by piller »

Sounds like you have some nice guns. Welcome aboard.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Welcome aboard.

Posts always worthwhile so post away...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Welcome to the fire! Sounds like you'll fit right in. Don't be afraid to ramble a bit about your shooting and/or life in general. There's a reason there's "community" in the URL of this sight. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Howdy... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Osiyo from the Cherokee Nation.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Welcome! You should feel at home here.
NRA Life Member, Patron
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Another Mainiac :D - Glad to have you! Join in, we are always happy to hear from more folks of like minds! Welcome friend.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I'm also in Maine ! Welcome to the forum.
Truly great bunch of guy's with a incredible amount of knowledge!
I think it's about the best forum out there!
The gentleman on this forum are always helpful in every way!
Ask a question you will get a answer from someone who knows what there talking about!
Johnny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JOG wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:20 pmThe gentleman on this forum are always helpful in every way!
...yeah, but what about the rest of us...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire from another Mainer.
Nothing beats banging around the Maine woods with a Winchester lever action. Been doing it for decades.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Shot only the new 348 yesterday along with the 88. All offhand at a 12 inch gong target at a 100 yards. Trying to go from a hunting carrying position to a quick shot and hit the gong. Practice for quick shots in the Maine woods. Most real shots at deer in the areas I hunt are less than 100 but still makes for good practice. I have a 60 yard 10 inch and a 40 yard 8 inch gong also for practice. The most challenging is the 6 inch gong out at 100. Tried that one twice yesterday and got lucky and got it once with the 348. I bought some surplus Nato ammo for the 88 and after determining it was not corrosive shot a bunch of that yesterday. The 88 is sighted in for 180's over 41 grains of 4064 and the 150 Nato shot about 6 inches low. Still had some fun with the 100 yard gong though. The 348 load that has worked well for me is 59 grains of 4350 with either a 200 Hornady or 200 Remington. The butt plate on the 348 is to slippery and need to do something about that. May have a recoil pad fitted or try it myself. Any suggestions on someone good with stocks here in Maine? I am an hour north of Portland.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome to the "Best Enabler's" forumn on the web.. Any companion pistols to go with it? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Welcome!! :D .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 88 shoots Fed 150s the best.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

I do have some companion pistols as well. I deer hunted many years with handgun's and was lucky enough to shoot a couple nice Maine bucks. Both with a Freedom Arms 4 3/4 454 that I no longer have. Yesterday along with the 348 and 88 I shot my 45 colt Redhawk. It was a 44 that Hamilton Bowen converted. Also shot a Glock 21 with a red dot sight. Really like the red dot pistol sights and there was one on the 88. Very quick and very small so it does not affect a one hand carry. EGW make a mount that goes right into the scope mount holds. I have one on my Encore muzzle-loader too. Muzzle loader season here in Maine is after Thanksgiving and my favorite time to hunt. Usually snow to track on and no one else in the woods.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Woodsloafer2 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:13 am Thank you all for the warm welcome! Shot only the new 348 yesterday along with the 88. All offhand at a 12 inch gong target at a 100 yards. Trying to go from a hunting carrying position to a quick shot and hit the gong. Practice for quick shots in the Maine woods. Most real shots at deer in the areas I hunt are less than 100 but still makes for good practice. I have a 60 yard 10 inch and a 40 yard 8 inch gong also for practice. The most challenging is the 6 inch gong out at 100. Tried that one twice yesterday and got lucky and got it once with the 348. I bought some surplus Nato ammo for the 88 and after determining it was not corrosive shot a bunch of that yesterday. The 88 is sighted in for 180's over 41 grains of 4064 and the 150 Nato shot about 6 inches low. Still had some fun with the 100 yard gong though. The 348 load that has worked well for me is 59 grains of 4350 with either a 200 Hornady or 200 Remington. The butt plate on the 348 is to slippery and need to do something about that. May have a recoil pad fitted or try it myself. Any suggestions on someone good with stocks here in Maine? I am an hour north of Portland.
My stock guy passed away several years ago, unfortunately. He lived in Cornville, and did excellent work for very cheap. Not sure of anyone down your way. I will keep my ears open.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:04 pm
JOG wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:20 pmThe gentleman on this forum are always helpful in every way!
...yeah, but what about the rest of us...???
I do mean everybody including you sir! I'm sure your a gentleman too!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 was just joking. I only know him from this forum, but he has a sense of humor.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire!