How many of you guys carry revolvers for EDC?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

How many of you guys carry revolvers for EDC?

Post by 2ndovc »

I usually carry a small 9mm for an every day carry pistol. Last week I had a situation where I took out my pistol to chamber a round and couldn't get the slide back far enough to pick up a cartridge. I've been carrying this S&W Shield for several years without a problem. Turned out that a small ( tiny) piece of plastic got in between the slide and frame and wouldn't allow it to work properly. I clean the pistol regularly but not obsessively. No Idea what it was or how it managed to do what it did, but it did. I keep another 9mm in my backpack in the truck and was able to retrieve it. The weird situation turned out to be nothing of concern, but it's really been bugging me that it happened.
I've been carrying my Glock 26 since then but I've been looking at the 5 shot .357s pretty heavily.
I had a great little S&W 642 .38 Spl. but I gave that to Kid# 2 recently. I bought it when I broke my left arm a couple of years ago and was in a cast all summer. Makes it hard to cycle an auto with one hand. :shock:

Soooo, what are you revolver guys packin' ?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How many of you guys carry revolvers for EDC?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I carry a revolver everywhere I go. Generally a .357 with 125 gr Remington scalloped nose hollow points. But sometimes a .22 magnum with gold dots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

On the weekends I put the little popper in my pocket and carry a bigger gun. But I ALWAYS have a J frame Smith on my person.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!
What’s the model number of the first one?

The 640 Pro has most of my attention right now, but I like that.

jb

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In the broke old days, I got a S&W 317 AirLite.... 8 shots and weighed about 13~ oz loaded. It was something I could trust, and more importantly, afford to practice lots. Thousands of LR went thru that little dandy, and If for some reason the LCP becomes unuseful, I should not hesitate to go back to it.
I never thought of unloading several rounds of Stinger into a goblin's torso undergunned.
DAO, of course.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I wish Smith could make an air weight in .327 Magnum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I carry a S&W 27-8 Reg Mag (3" barrel) during the colder months when I can cover it easier.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I do something similar in the winter/ colder months. I have a Colt Commander and a Ruger Speed Six that I can belt carry if I'm dressed right, but it's difficult for me to hide a bigger firearm if I'm not dressed right. It's a lot easier for me to pocket carry. I can cover a couple hundred miles getting to some ins. claims and while driving that 1911 can be a real pain in the back, plus it's harder to get to.

jb 8)

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Quite a few people carry a roller. I'd be comfortable with a Charter Bulldog, I'm just more comfy with a .45 bottomfeeder. However, " I had a situation where I took out my pistol to chamber a round " that made me raise an eyebrow. Were you carrying it with an empty chamber? You're a man of some experience it's hard to imagine you'd carry un-chambered.

Cat
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I carry a 4" 1911 in the warmer months, being on the athletic body type its pretty easy to conceal
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At one point I carried one of these... :shock:
9B56DE74-8029-452D-AFCF-D615CBD700E4.jpeg
Hey...It was the only centerfire handgun I had and I was working nights in pharmacies in bad neighborhoods....!

Later on I carried a Charter Arms 44 bulldog and for a while a Ruger Speed Six 357 and on occasion tucked a North American Arms Mini Revolver in 22WMR in a pair of swim shorts.

Having had revolvers occasionally lock up too, I’m not sure I consider them 100% more reliable than a good semi-automatic pistol. Truthfully, my double stack Para Ordinance 14 shot 1911 has been one of the most reliable handguns, with well over 1000 rounds of Golden Saber JHP’s without a stoppage.

I never felt under-gunned with the Super Blackhawk though, even though I ‘only’ loaded it with the first three rounds being W-W Silvertip 44 Specials, then 3 W-W 240 gr JHP Magnums.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I don't carry a revolver for EDC but remember reading the following more than once which was often mentioned/discussed in gun magazines as far back as the 70s. There it was stated that should you have an altercation with an individual and potentially have to draw a sidearm, most perps will back down and take off when confronting the business end of a revolver BECAUSE they see the four bullets in the cylinder looking at them and understand they definitely face a loaded firearm. There is no faking involved in this scenario! On the other hand, a person with a semi auto (should it happen to be unloaded for whatever reason-stupid or otherwise) MIGHT be lucky and the bad guy will turn and hopefully flee. Seems to make sense. Your thoughts?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

S&W M36. But, I keep hearing the Sirens' call for a S&W Bodyguard 38 with integrated Crimson Trace laser grips. One of these days....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

While I don't carry a revolver exclusively, I carry several varieties on occasion.
I used to carry a J frame a lot. I don't anymore, but my wife carries a 442 every day. Even at work. They are probably one of the most shootable small guns.
I carry a K frame sometimes. Either a 2.5" round butt model 19, or a 4" model 66. I feel well armed with these revolvers, and they are easy to shoot well.
If I'm in the woods or fishing, I pack a newly acquired 3" round butt model 629. It is big, but surprisingly easy to carry.

While I haven't shot one, I have handled one of the new Colt King Cobras. A 3" , fixed sight, 6 shot, very compact little rig. I was impressed with it's size and feel. I would seriously consider one if I stumbled onto another.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Catshooter wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:57 pm Quite a few people carry a roller. I'd be comfortable with a Charter Bulldog, I'm just more comfy with a .45 bottomfeeder. However, " I had a situation where I took out my pistol to chamber a round " that made me raise an eyebrow. Were you carrying it with an empty chamber? You're a man of some experience it's hard to imagine you'd carry un-chambered.

Cat
I was wondering if anyone would mention that. That's a complete failure on my part, I must admit. I had unloaded it and put it away when our new little granddaughter was over for a visit. She's still and an infant, but I want to start getting into that habit. Anyway, I had put the magazine in but not chambered a round as I was going to stop by a friend's farm and run a couple of magazines through it as I'd bought a new box of defensive ammo. It was getting a little old so I want to put some fresh stuff in it. My morning didn't go quite as planned.

Butt... the whole point of the question is that, even if I had a round it the chamber and had to fire whatever was in there still would (or could) have locked up that Shield up tight. I'm not a little guy and I couldn't pull that slide back far enough to even engage the slide stop.

For now, the G26/Commander/Speed Six will do. My wife has kinda adopted my Sig 238. She's not a shooter, but likes that little pistol.
I was mainly curious what you guys carry and what works for you. Plus, it's mostly just a "reason" to buy another gun. :D Not that I need one, but I miss that little 642. I'm not going to ask the kid to give it back, he has his own bills to pay, especially now, to go shopping for a new gun.

Doc,
I'd be more than happy to pack one of my .44s on my hip everyday. Ohio does allow for open carry, but it's not worth the hassle.

Blaine,
Those .22s are cool, but I get into some pretty nasty places doing what I do. A couple have been downright creepy!

jb 8)

i

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:25 pm I wish Smith could make an air weight in .327 Magnum.
This right here.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

kaschi wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 pm I don't carry a revolver for EDC but remember reading the following more than once which was often mentioned/discussed in gun magazines as far back as the 70s. There it was stated that should you have an altercation with an individual and potentially have to draw a sidearm, most perps will back down and take off when confronting the business end of a revolver BECAUSE they see the four bullets in the cylinder looking at them and understand they definitely face a loaded firearm. There is no faking involved in this scenario! On the other hand, a person with a semi auto (should it happen to be unloaded for whatever reason-stupid or otherwise) MIGHT be lucky and the bad guy will turn and hopefully flee. Seems to make sense. Your thoughts?
I would never carry based upon what a bad guy MIGHT do!
Criminals do not think like law-abiding folk.
Choosing to carry a defense weapon should be based upon what the person carrying can do if need be.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I carried a Model 60 S&W for decades as my daily carry. But I finally gave it to my oldest son, and now carry a compact 9mm most the time. I miss the S&W as I just loved it. But he was gonna get it someday anyway, so figured why not give it to him while he's younger.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well said Jim!

A former co-worker asked me once why I didn’t show my pistol in a really bad part of town when a couple of neighborhood guys wanted the house fire we were sent to by the Ins. Co.
I told him that’s not what it’s for and if you ever see me with my gun out, something very bad is about to happen.

jb

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i used to carry two smiths, a 357 and a 38. i could never get over the cylinder bulge thing. i can drop an xd9 in a boot top and drive all day, or put the 9mm or xd 45 in the waistband holster and drop the lcp in the boot top, with or without holster, or a pocket. 20 rounds without reloading.

once i transitioned myself to autos i quit carrying the revolvers. just the comfort of the slimmer package i think.

i agree with Jim. i don't think actual criminals are intimidated by seeing bullets or flashes either. i think they dwell in an alternate universe and it takes blunt force to alter their criminality.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For years I carried a cut-down Old Model Ruger .357 Single Action as my carry gun. Never had a problem concealing it. I would carry it still if my fingers were as nimble as when I was in my 50's and early 60's.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I carry a Colt Lightweight Commander in 45 acp (cocked and locked) the most. When I am going places that I feel more comfortable, (known places to me), sometimes I carry a 9mm shield. I keep a Glock model 22 (full sized 40 cal) in the truck but will also carry it on me, at times.

But also, sometimes carry revolvers from the little .22mag 5 shot revolvers, Smith .38's J-frames and sometimes K-Frame snubby, but will also carry a 4.75" singleaction, Ruger old model .357 or newer Ruger in 45 colt at times.

I guess I carry a lot of different stuff, depending on where and what I am doing. But, when traveling to strange places or really anywhere outside my normal tramping ground, it's the lightweight Commander in a Milt Sparks inside the pants holster, no matter the weather or climate, because it's the fastest draw from concealment for me, and I have more confidence in the 45 acp with hollowpoints, although I am comfortable with the 40 cal, and it's always in the truck at least as a backup. Everything else is an optional elective.

Nothing wrong with a revolver, though. But in general, I find revolvers harder to conceal, however, sometimes I just want to carry a big single action, or a J-frame in my pocket.
And sometimes I will drop down to a NAA .22 mag tiny revolver, or carry one as backup, but I would hate to have to bet my life on one, however, any gun is probably better then no gun, maybe.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I carry a Colt lightweight commander and a Sig P228. Both in well made holsters that ride high on me.
It's hard to detect that I'm packing. Loose fitting clothing and a good quality belt is imperative
I want to lug my S&W 66-2 with a 4 inch barrel. But it seems to heavy for every day carry.
I would have to invest some money into a good holster to lug my Smith!
I'm very comfortable knowing that my Colt and Sig will fire if needed!
I've never had a ftf with the Sig. I've had one ftf with the Colt.
That was before it was broken in. Under 100 rounds at the time.
If you can handle the weight carry a Smith or a Colt double action revolver!
There is nothing like a fine revolver that runs 100% of the time!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I used to carry a Ruger SP101 with the first two rounds loaded with shot capsules, then three hollow points when hunting in this snake infested county. It worked very well to dispatch rattlers or finish off a wounded deer. What with the stupid new Kalifornia hunting laws that require non-lead ammo for all hunting, I cannot legally use the shot capsules so I have to carry the SP101 loaded with all-copper .38 Special rounds. I have not had the opportunity to test their ability to dispatch a deer because all public lands and most private lands in my area were closed last year to hunting due to extreme fire danger conditions.

For everyday carry I prefer my Springfield XD Compact 45acp for its extra firepower and big bullets that make big holes. :D

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

during hunting season i carry a 629 classic 44
looking for a 686 now
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Plan to carry one of these New Services when Doc Barranti finishes the holster.
20170314_104216.jpg
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

JimT wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:53 pm For years I carried a cut-down Old Model Ruger .357 Single Action as my carry gun. Never had a problem concealing it. I would carry it still if my fingers were as nimble as when I was in my 50's and early 60's.
Ooooo, Jim, you got a pic of that old, worn-out beat-up hardly worth looking at sixgun? :) I'd love to see it.

Walker,

That's a beautiful pair of Colts man! What caliber are they? Tell us their stories!

Cat
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Both new services are chambered in 45 colt. Andy Horvath did the work.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I enjoyed the feedback Guys!

I'm not going to abandon my autos over one incident, but just thinking out loud. Hearing from the guys that have "Been there, done that" is what I like to know. I grew up shooting auto pistols going all the way back to the Colt Match Target my dad gave me when I was about 9 or 10, but I'm also a big fan of revolvers and shoot both equally well. Many of you have said, this is what works best for "me" and that's the most logical response.
I've found for my day to day carry, and practicing this way for years that carrying in my front pocket works best for me. There have been times that when I know I'm going to a really bad part of town and scaring some little old lady is not of concern that day, I will put my Commander on my belt with a long shirt or jacket and all is good. For the last week, the G26 with the 12 round Pmags, has been just fine but I'm still thinking of adding ( not replacing) another small revolver.
If I'm confident enough in a gun to carry it, I'm confident enough to know I can shoot it well. If not it stays at home.

jb 8)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Catshooter wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:16 am Ooooo, Jim, you got a pic of that old, worn-out beat-up hardly worth looking at sixgun? :) I'd love to see it.

Cat
I don't have any good photos ... sorry ..
357.jpg
357ruger.jpg
The barrel was shortened to just over 4" ... top strap milled with a Colt Single Action-type groove in the top strap. Front sight sloped and the back of the ejector rod button sloped so I could pull it out of my waistband without pulling my underwear up to my shoulder.

EDIT: picture of me shooting it upside down left-handed ... I used to do this to intimidate other shooters ... :)
trick shot.jpg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:lol:

jb

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

picture of me shooting it upside down left-handed ...
YaBut, dontcha hafta cock the hammer first?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 am
picture of me shooting it upside down left-handed ...
YaBut, dontcha hafta cock the hammer first?
I used to do all kinds of trick shooting.
Sometimes I even cocked the hammer!
:D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very cool roller Jim. Shows lots of shooting & love. How many rounds through it?

Cat
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Catshooter wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:56 pm Very cool roller Jim. Shows lots of shooting & love. How many rounds through it?

Cat
I have no clue Cat. I rarely have kept track of the number of rounds I fired. I carried that gun every day and shot it at least several times a week. I used it to get rid of roaming dogs that came after our chickens or livestock, shot feral cats with it, carried it to church every sunday but never needed to use it for which I am thankful. Just having it under my shirt was a good feeling. I still love shooting single actions the most but as far as a self defense gun, my fingers just don't work like they used to for fast work.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's funny Jim! I just went back and read the story on that old Ruger last night. It looks really neat. It's strange how stuff like that turns out to be our favorites sometimes. I have a 1911 like that.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

OldWin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:20 am That's funny Jim! I just went back and read the story on that old Ruger last night. It looks really neat. It's strange how stuff like that turns out to be our favorites sometimes. I have a 1911 like that.
THANK YOU! I had forgotten that was in those articles. "REBUILDING A WRECK" .... it's in the short articles in this post .. https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/357magnum.htm
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I carry my Freedom Arms .45 Colt in a crossdraw and it's surprisingly comfortable. In semi-auto I have a S&W Shield or Springfield EMP
20200127_131005.jpg
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JimT wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:32 am
OldWin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:20 am That's funny Jim! I just went back and read the story on that old Ruger last night. It looks really neat. It's strange how stuff like that turns out to be our favorites sometimes. I have a 1911 like that.
THANK YOU! I had forgotten that was in those articles. "REBUILDING A WRECK" .... it's in the short articles in this post .. https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/357magnum.htm
Haha you're a good writer, Jim. I go and sift through the articles now and then for loads or info I can't quite recall. You always draw me in! :D
It was 3am while I was at work. I didn't fall asleep, so by my calculations, you are one heck of a writer! :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

OldWin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:22 pm I didn't fall asleep, so by my calculations, you are one heck of a writer! :D
thumbsup.JPG
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:49 am I enjoyed the feedback Guys!

I'm not going to abandon my autos over one incident, but just thinking out loud.

jb 8)
Over 40 years of shooting and carrying, and just plain being around guns a lot, I have seen failures and jams with every single type of gun. Even revolvers can jam or have problems. A high primer will or can shut you down as well as just one grain of unfired gunpowder under the extractor of a double action revolver. Still, I would probable give the edge to revolvers once proven to be reliable, to keep working, but I have seen several new out of the box revolvers with issues, that had to be addressed.

Semi-autos, I have seen more issues, but many were very reliable. And freak things can happen. I have a Colt .380 that has been very reliable, and I usually pocket carry it, with the hammer down on a loaded chamber for condition 2 carry, but I decided to try a nice holster one day, CCW, and chose to carry it cocked and locked, and after carrying it all day, I decided to walk out to my little shooting area in the back yard and fire a few rounds with. So, for my first shots, I decided to draw from the holster, and dump the clip into a target. When I pulled the trigger the first time, all I got was a click of the hammer falling, no bang. The problem was that because the slide is not locked when the safety is on, with this gun, unlike a full sized 1911, the slide slipped back a little and was out of battery, because the friction of the holster, grabbed the slide and pushed it back slightly. So, out of battery, no bang. I have duplicated it, enough to know that was the issue. So, for this gun, I always carry hammer down on a loaded chamber, because the pressure of the hammer helps ensure that the slide stays in battery. The inertia firing pin makes the gun safe to carry with the hammer all of the way down.

On the Colt 1911, (my favorite carry gun, in Lightweight Commander Configuration) I have had two failures, that happened to otherwise very proven guns, that had been used a lot with basically 100% reliability. Both times, all of a sudden they started jamming and wouldn't feed reliability, or hardly at all, out of the blue, with no warning. Actually, one was a Springfield 5" lightweight gun, and the other was a Colt series 70 steel 5" gun. In both cases it was the extractor. The Colt had seen a lot of use, and the extractor was broken, the Springfield had been shot quite a bit but not 1000's or rounds like the Colt had. It's extractor was not broken but had become out of tune, or adjustment.
I fixed both of them by replacing the extractors with Wilson Bulletproof extractors and adjusted them myself, and they went right back to being 100% reliable, and have been for a long time. These were both proven guns, that I trusted. If it's mechanical, it might possibly fail.

Of course excessively dirty guns will probably eventually fail or start having issues, even revolvers.

My shield has not failed me so far, but there's always that first time. And actually, several of my Commanders have not, so far. But, I have even seen several Glocks fail, but none of my own ever have, except when my daughter has limp-wristed them. With me shooting them, my personal Glocks, have always been 100%. I have had several parts breakage failures with Kimbers, I blame too many MIM parts, regarding them, but over all, they have been pretty good guns.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'm pretty fickle. I carry whatever strikes my fancy on any given day. Mostly it's a full size 1911, but often it is a .45 Blackhawk. Then again I like J, K & N frame smiths (sorry never saw the appeal of the L's). But I do carry a revolver every single day. Sometimes as my only backup others as a third. It weighs next to nothing, fits in a pocket or horizontally on my pants belt as shown here.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:23 pm I'm pretty fickle. I carry whatever strikes my fancy on any given day. Mostly it's a full size 1911, but often it is a .45 Blackhawk. Then again I like J, K & N frame smiths (sorry never saw the appeal of the L's). But I do carry a revolver every single day. Sometimes as my only backup others as a third. It weighs next to nothing, fits in a pocket or horizontally on my pants belt as shown here.
I carry one of those too, as a backup, sometimes. And I kind of hate to admit it, but I carried one as my primary gun, today, although I did have my Glock 40 cal under the armrest in my pickup. I just didn't want to dress around anything bigger today. I don't do that real often.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

A Llama Cassidy - the size of a S$W Model 10 4" heavy barrel - is the sixgun I've carried most over the years as it's my only option in my usual area of operation. One must dress around what ever choice one makes and so I've chosen to dress around it and have had no issues other than having to be careful of how I let folks hug me (a real issue in Latin America where folks aren't as standoffish as in the US of A) unless I know they know I carry and are not adversely affected by such knowledge.

That being said, a sixgun can hang up for the craziest reasons as well. Even a "simple, no-nonsense Blackhawk" can hang up, as I experienced a couple weeks back. Had to pull the cylinder to get it going again, don't recall the exact issue but think I recall it as an ammo related malfunction. But there are other things that can happen, similar to your bit of plastic that hung up your pistol. I did also find myself NOT being as careful as I should have to clear my carry piece every day while up there and at times found worrisome buildup of lint from pocket carry (it wasn't the Model 10, but a small bottom feeder). That wasn't very smart and I highly recommend checking what every you carry each and every day, at least once. All kinds of things can work their way into the innards and gum/jam them up. I've heard horror stories from police armorers who've had to service some amazing bits of idiocy turned in for "repair" by inept officers. It happens to non-LEO as well. That lump of steel isn't a talisman that works the same whether it's covered in juice and dust or newly cleaned.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:20 am I would never carry based upon what a bad guy MIGHT do!
Criminals do not think like law-abiding folk.
Choosing to carry a defense weapon should be based upon what the person carrying can do if need be.
This is good advice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Policing in Houston was tough on guns. Not so bad when we wore the flap holsters but the humidity and the dirt and grime that you pick up on the street can be hard on a gun when you work patrol.

I settled on a policy that I would shoot my Government Model 50 rounds a week. Generally at the police range under the Capitol Street Bridge which was manned 24/7 in those days. The Department paid for the ammo and I certainly took advantage of it. My last night before my "weekend" I would call out at the range and shoot the course. It was a typical 50 round course of fire from 3 yards out to 25.

When I got home in the morning, I would take the gun apart, clean and oil it, and put it in a Bruce Nelson Summer Special that I carried it in on weekends. I had that gun refinished several times until I finally got tired of it and had it parkerized. Then I coated the exterior and under the grip panels with Turtle Wax car wax. I never had any corrosion or finish problems after that, but I kept the inside clean.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i carried revolvers in alaska. this one is my halibut gun. skunked that day
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AmBraCol wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:47 pm A Llama Cassidy - the size of a S$W Model 10 4" heavy barrel - is the sixgun I've carried most over the years as it's my only option in my usual area of operation. One must dress around what ever choice one makes and so I've chosen to dress around it and have had no issues other than having to be careful of how I let folks hug me (a real issue in Latin America where folks aren't as standoffish as in the US of A) unless I know they know I carry and are not adversely affected by such knowledge.

That being said, a sixgun can hang up for the craziest reasons as well. Even a "simple, no-nonsense Blackhawk" can hang up, as I experienced a couple weeks back. Had to pull the cylinder to get it going again, don't recall the exact issue but think I recall it as an ammo related malfunction. But there are other things that can happen, similar to your bit of plastic that hung up your pistol. I did also find myself NOT being as careful as I should have to clear my carry piece every day while up there and at times found worrisome buildup of lint from pocket carry (it wasn't the Model 10, but a small bottom feeder). That wasn't very smart and I highly recommend checking what every you carry each and every day, at least once. All kinds of things can work their way into the innards and gum/jam them up. I've heard horror stories from police armorers who've had to service some amazing bits of idiocy turned in for "repair" by inept officers. It happens to non-LEO as well. That lump of steel isn't a talisman that works the same whether it's covered in juice and dust or newly cleaned.
You don't here much about Llama revolvers. I carried one, a 4" Comanche (.357mag) while I was stationed in Spain. Technically illegal but the cops knew most American servicemen carried and looked the other way. We had a common enemy in the ETA.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 pm
You don't here much about Llama revolvers. I carried one, a 4" Comanche (.357mag) while I was stationed in Spain. Technically illegal but the cops knew most American servicemen carried and looked the other way. We had a common enemy in the ETA.
And you hear even less of the INDUMIL produced ones. Mine is serviceable. If it were properly assembled and finished by someone conversant with the finer points of double action resolvers, it'd equal or exceed many other designs that are more famous. As it is, it's a reliable and adequate bit of ordnance, a bit lacking in the looks department and in dire need of someone with more skill than yours truly to fluff and buff it a bit in order to improve accuracy.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

After the original post I actually went back to carrying a Smith 351C in a pocket holster. I often forget that it is there.