How to set up your shot gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

How to set up your shot gun

Post by CowboyTutt »

I am a shotgun newbie and can barely fire my new to me LAPD Ithica 12 gauge commemorative pump made in the 80's. Have to say, this was really useful information basically transcribed from Thunder Ranch training and to us for free (Long live Col. Cooper despite them darn it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sro9uUOL0vM

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How to set up your shot gun

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm an old trap shooter, and only recently bought my 2nd shotgun. So beyond trap and using the same shotgun for upland game birds, I never had a self defense shotgun. The video was enjoyable to watch, and interesting for anyone who owns a pump or tube fed semiauto shotgun.
My home defense shotgun is an AR15 style platform, so not much applies from the video. But thanks for the link anyway!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am not much into tactical shotguns but keep an old Browning A5 for home defense, with about a 24" barrel with a Cutts Compensator choke on it. And among others, a mostly wore out, cut off single barrel Winchester 101 trap gun which I like because it has a fairly loose action, and it's so simple to operate for the wife. The video guy is obviously a big gamesman, and he has some good points, however, you don't need all of that gear for home defense.

I do like the video, regarding the shotgun cards and velco strips. I always found the old slip on butt stock carriers to be too bulky and never fit right on the gun. I think i will order some of those.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's some good old eastern Oregon weather in that video.
He is obviously having a lot of fun with his Beretta.
I cannot imagine ever needing to carry 50-plus rounds of 12 gauge in civilian life, but that gear certainly makes it convenient.
That said, there is no getting around the clumsiness of loading a repeating shotgun is there?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My shotgun repeats.
Just not real quickly.
IMG_1049.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That'll work, too, Jim. To steal a line from the video, few problems cannot be solved with a well-placed Brenneke slug or a swarm of angry buckshot. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used to have this one...

Just seeing it would probably make a Bad Guy fill his drawers and run.... :lol:

However it really wasn't that practical.

Now I have your basic Mossberg 8-shot with no additions except a light/laser, although there is an Saiga box-magazine fed one apprenticing for the role once it gets shot enough I'm fully confident in it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "