Gallyon 12 Bore.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Gallyon 12 Bore.

Post by gamekeeper »

Well I finally got to shoot the Gallyon muzzleloading 12 bore and I am very pleased with it :D Barbarossa said that they were good guns so I was confident to make the swap.
The .45 Muzzleloader that refused to fire was a nice looking gun but nowhere near the quality of the Gallyon. I've not had chance to try different loads yet but will probably stick with around 1oz loads of birdshot and when I get my hands on some .69 RB I will give them a go too. The gunshop (Avalon Guns) were extremely helpful, great customer service, it was well worth the two and a half hour drive.
IMG_20210623_131332.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gallyon 12 Bore.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's a fine looking shotgun. I have always wanted to hunt with a muzzle-loading shotgun but my bird shooting has diminished so much in recent years that you really cannot call me a bird hunter at all.

I look forward to a field report!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey John...it has "nice lines".....good looking piece.......and I see a caplock which I prefer........

I shot some old ones and those babies really barked....---006
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice John congrats. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Glad you were able to get it,you will have a lot of fun with the Gallyon .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like a dandy! Were you sweating bullets on your ride home, I mean having a dangerous firearm in such close proximity to yourself?
Now you and Nath can send smoke signals to each other! :lol:

Speaking of Nath, where ya been ?? We could sure use some dead fox pictures! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice looking shotgun, them shiny parts are gonna giveaway your cover tho. What loads you plan on using in it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:01 pm Nice looking shotgun, them shiny parts are gonna giveaway your cover tho. What loads you plan on using in it.
Thanks guys, it was made in 1978 and it looks like it spent a lot of time in a safe. The load I'm trying at the moment is 1oz of shot with 70 grains of 3f. I will get some 2f when I can and some new caps. I have always had good results using just one over powder thick card wad and thin card over shot wad. I have some thin felt wads I will try with lube between the card wad and shot, I have tried all sorts of wads in the past but never noticed much difference with the terminal effect.
IMG_20210623_131235.jpg
Click to enlarge photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Now that right there is purty. No kidding John, that is a fine looking shooter. Can't imagine anyone so armed going hungry.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's really classy! Fun to shoot too, I'll bet!

Hope you have many adventures with it!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

So you have a, .73/70-435 then? :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice GK! Sure is party. Glad you made a good trade buddy. I bet .69 RB cuts a swath through the brush! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Saw your post, really handsome rifle for sure! Makes me consider getting into ML. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:21 pm Saw your post, really handsome rifle for sure! Makes me consider getting into ML. -Tutt
Thanks, I nearly gave up M/L last night after getting a cleaning patch stuck down the bore :oops: my wad puller did not cooperate for half an hour...... :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I took a stroll through the woods today and the Gallyon bagged it's first Squirrel....70 grains of Prodex P, 2 card wads,1oz mixed shot #6+#7, 1 thin card wad, must get some real BP 2f.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I ll be taking my Gallyon out this years muzzleloading deer season .Most shots taken at deer in my area are under 50yards so I m not handicapped shooting a smooth bore and the 69round ball can do quite a job on deer
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have been looking for some round ball or a mold, not to easy to find over here. The small Roe deer I have shot with buckshot were less than forty yards. It will be interesting to see the effect a .69 caliber ball would have on a Roe deer.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Cool score GK! Any idea of how many fps one might get with 70g of 3F? 1200 maybe?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have no idea how fast it is but I was satisfied it was enough when I patterned it on some plywood and got complete pass through but I assume it's slower than a regular 12 gauge shell. I don't want to up the powder charge until I can find some 2f.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Couldn’t t you get a mould from www.ballmoulds.com over there in the UK .This use to be Jeff Tanners bullet mould company ,I think it’s run by his son now.A .715 round ball will do as well if you don t use a patch and use card and cushion wads instead
Last edited by barbarossa on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GK, I know nothing about ML shooting, but would the .69 mini's work from here? Seems they might shoot more accurately than round ball. Track of the Wolf probably has the most products available for ML shooting. These mini's are in stock too. Scroll down to find the product I'm telling you about. Not sure this helps at all. -Tutt

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Ite ... -690-MINIE
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Until Ray said "Euroarms Cape Gun," I did not know the two were the same shotgun, made by Investarm. It looks wonderfully serviceable John.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:01 am Until Ray said "Euroarms Cape Gun," I did not know the two were the same shotgun, made by Investarm. It looks wonderfully serviceable John.
Yes Bill it's well made, I used to have one of their Great Plains pistols and was impressed with that too.