I'm going to need you to clean out your office.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I'm going to need you to clean out your office.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I got a call from one of my senior partners in the firm last week.

He says: "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I need you to clean out your office."

At first, I was a bit taken aback. Having heard some things like this in the past. But this time, I was relatively unconcerned. First, because I am an owner and it is hard to fire me unless they want to buy me out. Second, because Covid was good for my business and I have never been so productive. Third, because I have become weary of driving from San Antonio to Austin to use that office. And finally, I have a book of business that would take me somewhere else muy pronto.

Turns out that they are doing me a favor in that I can use the San Antonio office if I wish or come and go as I please. With my wife's health issues, this is a very good thing because it allows me to stay close to her.

I've been wanting to get out of that Austin office for eight years, and now I am out. [Yes, I rented a U-Haul trailer the next day and cleaned that office out before anyone could change their minds!] God's blessings are amazing.
JimT
Shootist

Re: I'm going to need you to clean out your office.

Post by JimT »

Well ... I am happy for you but it means you are that much further away and harder for us to get together!
When everything gets settled out with her health we gotta have some time ... all of us!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds like good news!

We just cleaned out our Cleveland office. There was only one of the three us using it on occasion but he was only going there to get some piece from his kids. :D Since Covid, I've been working from home exclusively and wouldn't want to work out of an office anyway. It puts me at the western edge of my coverage area but I get paid for the mileage anyway and I'm far more productive working out of the house.

Hope Mrs. T. is doing better!

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Jason,

Before Covid I was getting up at 4 am and driving on IH35 from San Antonio to Austin four days a week. Working all day and then driving back. On a good day, I spent 3 hours on the road and seventy five miles one way really ran up the miles on my vehicles.

So yes, this is a great thing. I service clients from El Paso to Beaumont and from Fort Worth to Harlengen. I never have clients visit me in my office, I go to them. So I am very excited about this.

Now, I don't think I will set up an office in our San Antonio building, but continue to work remotely and get in to the office on an as-needed basis. I'm trying to change the culture of the Firm because we don't really need traditional offices for certain lawyers. The longer I go without an actual office, the better my argument becomes.

Kathy is not going to be good unless or until she gets a new liver. But she is getting better and I'm helping her to get the help that I cannot provide. I'm blessed to be able to be here for her.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's gotta be rough. I know my wife had her hands full with me after spending several months in the hospital and a really long recovery. I'll never be the same, but still improving every day.

Our thoughts are with you!

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Different scenario for me, but i was fired in MArch from where i was working after having knee replacement surgery last November. They said my recovery was taking too long and they had reservations about me ever getting back to full function again. (nice of them)

When the VP of claims (im an insurance adjuster) called and alerted me to this , i secretly said
"Phew -- its about time !"
----- Doug