Remington Creedmoor Long Range rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Remington Creedmoor Long Range rifle

Post by marlinman93 »

The Remington Creedmoor arrived today. No huge surprises, other than the buttplate. It must have had some rust, or maybe pitting, as someone polished it out like a brand new nickel! Have to decide what to do to it that will make it blend in better with the aging patina of the rifle?
It does have some strange things, that I've never seen before. One is a tiny little 1/8" dovetail across the top of the barrel about 1" ahead of the receiver? Guessing it might be for a early bubble level. Later gun had them either on the tang sight, or the globe front sight.

The front sight dovetail is typical wide .467" Remington, with the small dovetail ahead of it for the windage gauge that was separate from the globe sight on early Rem. Creedmoors.

Caliber is marked ".44 S" as is expected for a .44-77SBN chambered rifle. Rifling and bore are very nice, and no corrosion. Not a brand new bore, but certainly a well cared for bore that should shoot excellent still!
Typical light barrel to make the 10 lb. weight limit of Long Range rifle competition rules.

In with the gun were 91 new brass cases. Some appear never used, and the others appear to not have seen much use. Maybe once fired even. Also a set of new screws in a bag to replace all the buggered up screws.

Going to do a chamber cast, and slug the bore still. Already set up with dies, and molds, if it's similar to my other Rolling Block Sporting Rifle bore size.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington Creedmoor Long Range rifle

Post by Ray Newman »

Impressive and good luck with it!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

What is the length of the barrel? Please.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks like all day pleasure. great find.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

black river smith wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 pm What is the length of the barrel? Please.
This is a 34" barrel, and rifle weighs 10 lbs. The barrel length, and weight were set by the World Long Range rules of that time.
Set triggers were also not allowed, so all guns had a standard single trigger, with a weight of pull not less than 3 lbs.
Buttplates were either smooth steel, or hard rubber. This one is smooth steel.

Remington shooter Major Henry Fulton's rifle is #3314, and Custer's was #3300. Both made in 1874, the first year this model was catalogued. They made a few pre production Creedmoor rifles in 1873, if you knew someone at Remington, as they weren't advertised. This Creedmoor is @1800 numbers lower than Fulton and Custer's rifles, so one of, if not the earliest known serial numbered Creedmoor rifles!
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

marlinman93,

Thanks for all that info. I have a Remington Rolling Block book by Schreier. It does have a section about the Creedmoor but it does not define the parameter of the rifle, like you have. It only has one rifle pictured with an octagon barrel.

Again, thanks for the detailed description.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Why Vall, do your Marlins know you have welcomed a Remington into the house? 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:16 am Why Vall, do your Marlins know you have welcomed a Remington into the house? 8)
They've gotten used to it by now Bill. But I do keep the 20 others in their own safe, just as I do with my Marlins and Marlin Ballard rifles that have their own safe. Wouldn't want them cross breeding!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's what I call a interesting rifle, congratulations on giving it a good home... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:45 pm That's what I call a interesting rifle, congratulations on giving it a good home... 8)
Thanks!
Now if I can ever find an original factory Rolling Block schuetzen model! I have almost everything here to build a clone. Guess I need to go ahead, then maybe one will show up right after I'm done!
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's quite a nice old Remington!
Good luck with it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like a very nice RB, im surprised how fresh the wood looks for its age. Is the forend tip horn? Any suspicion it was restocked? I have always been a fan of RBs, great old guns. Hooe to see some range reports soon!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:10 am Looks like a very nice RB, im surprised how fresh the wood looks for its age. Is the forend tip horn? Any suspicion it was restocked? I have always been a fan of RBs, great old guns. Hooe to see some range reports soon!
The forearm tip is steel, as most were during this period. Originally color case steel. The stocks serial number to the gun, and are original.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotcha, I knew a guy that rebuilt a number of RBs and he was using buffalo horn for the tip inlay. For original wood its in great shape!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Nice looking rifle you came into. What kind of wood is it stocked in? If you want to put some patina on the butt plate try cold brown and then soak it in hot water 180-200 degrees for about fifteen minutes. After that take it out and rub it down good with a green 3M pad soaked in WD-40. That should give you a look of old bluing that has rusted some over the years. The amount of rusting that you allow the browning solution do will determine how much pitting you get.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:23 am Gotcha, I knew a guy that rebuilt a number of RBs and he was using buffalo horn for the tip inlay. For original wood its in great shape!
The later Remington rifles after bankruptcy in 1886 didn't use the steel tip anymore, and had an ebony V inlaid into the schnabel on the forearms. Those barrels post 1886 are marked Remington Arms Co. instead of E. Remington & Sons as pre 1886 are. The pistol grips on these Creedmoor rifles have a very nice ebony insert that's shaped sort of like a funnel on the bottom of the pistol grip. Nice little deluxe touch Remington did. ​I have some chunks of horn I bought just for repairs on old rifle stocks.

Yesterday I went to install the globe front sight when I discovered the dovetail cut in the barrel was damaged on the rear edge of the cut! The sight went in easily, but I could tap it and it fell right out! Close examination shows the rear edge has metal broken off, so the dovetail was precarious at best!
I called up the young welder I use for critical repairs, and he told me to bring it over. He looked it over, and fired up his tig welder, and in less than a minute he filled in the missing metal. Just needs to be shaped down with a file now, and it will be great again. Touch up with some Oxphoblue, and the spirit level on the front globe covers it anyway, so should be totally invisible when shaped down. Cost a whopping $10 to fix.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's great Vall. Glad the repair was so quick and easy.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to hear that it's coming together... 8)

hondo, interesting tip on the patina..
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Vall, great find. Congrats on the repair, and I truly hope it's a fantastic shooter for you.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:45 pm Vall, great find. Congrats on the repair, and I truly hope it's a fantastic shooter for you.
Thanks Griff!
I hope so too! I've avoided BP most of my almost 50 years of reloading, and shooting old guns. But I think I may try some Swiss 1 1/2, or similar in loads for this rifle. I'd like to try and see if I can get it close to what was originally used, except for the heavy 535 gr. bullet they used! That had to be brutal to shoot day after day in matches!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I finally made some time to get the stocks on my Remington Creedmoor rifle more finished, so they look more correct to what Remington finish was, and not the flat, plain, light color someone re-did on my rifle. I stripped the surface, and applied a reddish hue stain to the stock and forearm, and after a few coats I applied some Wipe On Poly. Only took a few coats as the stock grain was very closed grain and took it quickly. Let it dry for a couple weeks, and then rubbed it out with rottenstone, and then finished with Minnwax paste wax, and buffed the stocks out.

Before:

After:

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Vall, now that's more like it. Sure looks like it should now, have you had a chance to shoot it yet? When I was in school we had a guy that was restoring RBs, new barrels, new wood and he had a following at the time and was offered many jobs before graduating, darned if I can remember his name! I've always liked the RBs, although I've never shot one.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:57 am Vall, now that's more like it. Sure looks like it should now, have you had a chance to shoot it yet? When I was in school we had a guy that was restoring RBs, new barrels, new wood and he had a following at the time and was offered many jobs before graduating, darned if I can remember his name! I've always liked the RBs, although I've never shot one.
I have shot it with my smokeless load of 4198, and it's a very accurate rifle at 200 yds. But I haven't shot any BP through it yet, as I've been working on getting all the components to allow me to switch to BP for this caliber and gun. And I haven't been able to shoot anything at our 1000 yd. range yet, as we can only shoot Tue. afternoons, and all day Thu. at the 1000 yd. range, and haven't gotten a darned dry day yet to shoot that range!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm I haven't been able to shoot anything at our 1000 yd. range yet, as we can only shoot Tue. afternoons, and all day Thu. at the 1000 yd. range, and haven't gotten a darned dry day yet to shoot that range!
That is one mighty fine looking rifle Val. And it sounds like you folks are fairly getting soused on that side of the mountain: you may have to come over the hill to shoot with the desert rats on the range east of Bend. This has been such a mild November so far that we are going to try to pull off a November shoot which we don't normally attempt. We'll shoot the buffalo guns on Saturday 11/27 starting at 9:00 if the weather will allow us. Most of us shoot sitting with cross sticks; the young and limber go prone off little short sticks. Dress code is insulated coveralls and mukluks. We shoot long range in the morning (700 TO 1000 yards) and mid range in the afternoon (300 to 600 yards).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

earlmck wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:32 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm I haven't been able to shoot anything at our 1000 yd. range yet, as we can only shoot Tue. afternoons, and all day Thu. at the 1000 yd. range, and haven't gotten a darned dry day yet to shoot that range!
That is one mighty fine looking rifle Val. And it sounds like you folks are fairly getting soused on that side of the mountain: you may have to come over the hill to shoot with the desert rats on the range east of Bend. This has been such a mild November so far that we are going to try to pull off a November shoot which we don't normally attempt. We'll shoot the buffalo guns on Saturday 11/27 starting at 9:00 if the weather will allow us. Most of us shoot sitting with cross sticks; the young and limber go prone off little short sticks. Dress code is insulated coveralls and mukluks. We shoot long range in the morning (700 TO 1000 yards) and mid range in the afternoon (300 to 600 yards).
Thanks Earl! Is that at Millican Earl? Dingers or paper targets? Not sure I could make this month as OAC has our gun show the same weekend, and Sat. I'll be getting things together for the Sunday morning show.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Lovin it! I missed this first time around. Glad you did an update.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:06 pm Thanks Earl! Is that at Millican Earl? Dingers or paper targets? Not sure I could make this month as OAC has our gun show the same weekend, and Sat. I'll be getting things together for the Sunday morning show.
Yes, this is at the COSSA range that is a suburb of Millican. Our targets are steel buffalo, sized for the range so that the 300 yard buffalo is a cute lit' baby thing and the 1000 yard is a full-sized buff. 2 1/2 minute white spot in the middle of a black buffalo to give over-experienced eyeballs a good aiming point.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'll try to make it over sometime, but likely will be next year when you guys start again. Maybe by then I'll have this BP loading and shooting somewhat better figured out.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:02 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:45 pm That's what I call a interesting rifle, congratulations on giving it a good home... 8)
Thanks!
Now if I can ever find an original factory Rolling Block schuetzen model! I have almost everything here to build a clone. Guess I need to go ahead, then maybe one will show up right after I'm done!
Very Intresting rifle congrats ! It’s kinda funny you mention a Remington schuetzen . A friend that’s on the board of the RCS and I were driving to a sporting clays shoot early yesterday morning and one of the topics of our conversation while driving was the Remington Hepburn Walker variation . I’ve liked the look of a Hepburn Walker almost as much as a 44 1/2 or Ballard in full schuetzen regalia .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:29 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:02 pm
Thanks!
Very Interesting rifle congrats ! It’s kinda funny you mention a Remington schuetzen . A friend that’s on the board of the RCS and I were driving to a sporting clays shoot early yesterday morning and one of the topics of our conversation while driving was the Remington Hepburn Walker variation . I’ve liked the look of a Hepburn Walker almost as much as a 44 1/2 or Ballard in full schuetzen regalia .
I'd love a Remington Hepburn Walker if I had deep pockets! Likely one of the most expensive single shot rifles anyone could ever buy, and extremely rare too! I'd bet there aren't more than 50 of the Hepburn Walkers ever made, and might be a lot less than my guesstimate! I believe Rowe's Hepburn book states something like 23 total shown in data from the old Remington Museum?