Recreational Pharma Workers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Recreational Pharma Workers

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The trip to the canyon to see where Joe Sitter was killed almost didn't happen. I did not get permission to go on the ranch until just 6 days prior to the trip.

When I had permission, I called Jim up and we made our medicine. I rode out to Alpine on the motorcycle and went on out to Valentine to visit Sitter's grave. I decided to carry my old sixgun and a couple of handfuls of .44 Special Skeeter loads for just in case. Jim carried a Nighthawk .38 Super and brought along his left handed Ruger Scout Rifle and a Remington 870. We had plenty of firepower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recreational Pharma Workers

We filled an ice chest full of supplies and loaded Jim's old Jeep. We found the turnoff and the gate just fine and the combination to the lock worked. We were in business. It was beautiful but desolate country and it had recently rained. Jim is a story teller and I love to listen. We were talking about Bill Jordan and the unfortunate accident that caused him to leave the Border Patrol when Jim drove off into a mud hole and we sank down to the axles. We were about 5 miles in, but there was no phone service and nobody to call if we had phone service. The ranch was deserted and there wasn't anyone for miles. The dirt road we came in on was not well travelled. After trying to get rocks and limbs up under the wheels, we realized that we were not going anywhere. Boots full of mud that seemed to go all the way down to hell, we decided that I would walk out and Jim would stay with the Jeep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I took to walking and it seemed like it took me forever to get to the gate. Then I kept walking till I hit the main road. One lonely (beat up and dusty) red Ford truck was coming down the road, so this was my chance.

The two Mexican fellows stopped and asked what I was doing out there. I had my hat in my hand and explained that I needed help. The passenger got out with a Hi-Point pistol in his britches and came around me. I was wearing a sixgun and it doesn't bother me to be around people carrying guns. The driver got out and I saw a Hi-Point carbine in the front seat.

[Now there really isn't anyplace to go in the direction that they were going. So I figured that they were in the recreational pharmacudical business. They certainly looked the part. But people are people no matter where you find them.]

They told me how dangerous it was out there on foot so close to the border. I told them that I had heard that same thing, but I needed help. They were trying to size me up and figure me out. Why would this big gringo be in a place like this? After a little banter, some in English and some in Spanish, the driver asked if I wanted a beer. I sure did. They broke out three beers and we drank like old friends.

I explained what I needed and they agreed to go with me. They put me in the back seat of the pickup, so I figured they did not plan to kill me. In a little while we were back on the ranch and when Jim saw the passenger step out with that pistol in his belt, his hand went back for his. I waved him off and we used an old rachet strap to pull the Jeep out of the muck.

We drank another beer together and the passenger handed his Hi-Point to Jim. Jim admired the pistol and said it would definitely get the job done. [Of course Jim and I were not about to hand our pistols to them.] I gave them $40 for beer that night and asked that they please lock the gate on their way out. We parted company on good terms.

After Jim got calmed down a bit, he asked me why I brought drug smugglers to get us out? I just figued that was going to be the only help we were going to get that day....but we didn't drive through any more mud holes!
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Here are some photos of an old railroad tunnel that we drove through on the ranch. It looks like it was chisled out (no sign of any blasting) of the rock. Probably by the Chinese workers who were working on the railroads in those days.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

A photo of the Rio Bravo. And one of Jim getting in the shade. You can see the mud on Jim's jeans.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I don’t think I thought about it at the time but Jim and I were both wearing ivory stocked guns on this trip.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are ceremonial occasions that demand the proper firearms. When the three of us who hung out together the most went to each other’s weddings, we made sure we carried the same revolvers we carried when out and about from about age 18 on; my Ruger Super Blackhawk, and my friend’s 45 Colt Blackhawk and other friend’s S&W 29 in 44 Mag.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I've been carrying a Nighthawk Border Special around lately. Jim had a hand in picking out the specifications for Nighthawk and they did a really good job on this. Here is the test target that came with mine. Three bullets went through that hole, but you wouldn't know it if you did not measure it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A story not that far apart from the days of black powder cartridges and horse and waggons...a great adventure.. :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott, what great stories and legacy! Thanks.

[the take-away about the mud hole is to take a hydraulic jack and a stout 2x10, and a come-along and tow line]
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thankfully even in the US there are still places where you go back in time 100 or more years, even today.
Not many people visit these places which in some ways, is good. They remain remote, isolated and intact.
They are not places for the weak or the faint of heart.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That's true. And I have found that in those places you can find people who could not live anywhere else. From the deep swamps in Louisianna, remote parts of Appalachia, parts of West Texas and Arizona, to a good bit of Alaska....These are places that draw me in.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Quite a story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Ray Newman wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:25 pm Info on Ranger Joe Sitter: http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2015/05/26/ ... -shootist/
I took that photo with my camera resting on a rock. It looks much better in the article than it does on my phone! I think Jim wrote up another article on this as well for one of the NRA publications, or he may have been planning to do it.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:20 am Here are some photos of an old railroad tunnel that we drove through on the ranch. It looks like it was chisled out (no sign of any blasting) of the rock. Probably by the Chinese workers who were working on the railroads in those days.
Great story -- glad you lived to tell it!

That old rock tunnel looks like one from a movie set -- was it the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" maybe?

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Old No7 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:53 pm
That old rock tunnel looks like one from a movie set -- was it the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" maybe?

Old No7
I doubt that it was ever in a movie. The owner of the property probably would not allow that and there are lots of tunnels in California. There was no longer any sign of rail or cross tie in the tunnel, though the approach on the North side was obviously a built up grade for a train.