Speaking of M1 Carbines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Speaking of M1 Carbines

Post by AJMD429 »

I found this video interesting - always something to learn from Ian - https://youtu.be/DUppu5IxEY4

Then I found a nice website on the Carbine - http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html

I do find them interesting, but not interesting enough to spend the dough to get one now, since they've become 'collectibles', and as I commented in the post about MidwayUSA selling a load of them, from a practical standpoint, I think I'd just as soon stick with either a Mini-14 for a "lightweight practical reasonably accurate carbine for plinking or 'truck-gun' use", and if I prefer something that can shoot a 100-125 grain bullet at a couple thousand feet per second, I'm going to be pretty close using a 357 Mag or 32-20 (modern-steel) levergun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Speaking of M1 Carbines

Post by wecsoger »

If you look at the numbers, a Ruger Mini-14 is only a couple percentage points longer, heavier, etc. It also fires a much more enthusiastic round.

New Mini-14's are right up there at 2/3 to half price of M1 carbines also

Price points being what they are, I can throw together a basic AR for easily half the cost of a Mini-14 though if I need another truck gun

Crazy world we live in now.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i passed up an M1 at a more than reasonable price and every time this topic comes up i have to rehash that. sheesh
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I know the feeling.

Relative of mine, former Army, agent orange finally caught up with him.

I know he had the one when family was settling things up, but I know he had at least another one with several extra parts on the back right hand of the receiver. (grin)

He knew it was coming, made me several good deals on guns and gave me several boxes of other odd 'n ends. I knew the reason why couple months later.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The M-1 might be nice, but what about cases of ammo? Sadly, I believe that if you didn't get it a few years ago, you're gonna have to be really rich to start in now.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV