Got a call from a friend about an '03A3 Springfield

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Got a call from a friend about an '03A3 Springfield

Post by 2ndovc »

My friend is a shooter but he's a couple decades younger and has very different tastes than I do, but he's a great kid. His great uncle is packing it up and heading to FL and wanted to sell some guns he's had for years. Most of it is typical Ohio farm stuff, muzzle loaders, a couple of old, unmarked doubles etc. but he had three that he thought I might be interested in. A Ruger Security Six Ohio State Patrol comm., a WWII PPK and a sporterized 03A3.
I told him to put the Ruger on gunbroker, he'd get more $ for it than I would want to spend. I'm just not into commemoratives. The Walther had been nickel plated at some time and later grips. It wasn't done well and it's basically just a shooter at this point so he's going to keep it. The one that caught my attention was the Springfield. His uncle had it made up in the early '70s for a varmint rifle. It's a .257 Roberts with a 26" heavy barrel, a Weaver V12 scope and a trigger you wouldn't believe. It might be 3lbs! :shock:
I gave the old boy what he wanted and another $100 for his dies, brass and ammo and everyone is happy.
I grew up in a house full of military rifles and quite a few that were sporterized. My first centerfire hunting rifle was my grandfather's Arisaka that he had made into a little .257 Roberts carbine. :D

I sent a picture to another friend that has a couple hundred acres to the south of me and he asked when I had time to go on woodchuck patrol. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a call from a friend about an '03A3 Springfield

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow, what a great rifle and cartridge, Hope you get to take out a few with it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

257 Roberts is a great cartridge.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wowsers..!!!!.................... :mrgreen:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That stock looks a lot like the one on my sporterized Swedish Mauser. Fajen? My rifle oddly has a Douglas light sporter barrel but with that great big stock. Still shoots 6.5x55. I thought of trimming the stock down or selling it and getting a Boyd's or something
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice jb, i also have a 257 Roberts in a model 70 feather weight but don`t shoot it much. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

44shooter wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:14 pm That stock looks a lot like the one on my sporterized Swedish Mauser. Fajen? My rifle oddly has a Douglas light sporter barrel but with that great big stock. Still shoots 6.5x55. I thought of trimming the stock down or selling it and getting a Boyd's or something
My first thought was Bishop for the stock. The butt pad is a Pachmayr, but there aren't any names on the rifle at all. The only marking on the rest of the rifle is part of the serial number peaking out from under the Redfield mount. He said that he remembered that it was a Remington but the only way to know for sure would be to take the mount off and I don't want to disturb anything.

Hoping to get out to the range Friday morning. My friend said it's a tack driver and I don't doubt that.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"