At the Shootist Holiday ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

At the Shootist Holiday ...

Post by JimT »

About 25% of all 480 Achilles are here!

IMG_2279.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: At the Shootist Holiday ...

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Please extend my regards to everyone Jim.

I really wanted to make it to the Holiday this year but Kathy's condition will not allow us to travel. Back to the liver clinic this morning.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I need one in a 4" bird's head. Ivory panels perhaps.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man! You guys get all of the neat stuff!

Jim, have you noticed if my old friend Matt Olivier is there? He's hard to miss, about 6' 8" tall....

6...o.....da bro...
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:20 pm Man! You guys get all of the neat stuff!

Jim, have you noticed if my old friend Matt Olivier is there? He's hard to miss, about 6' 8" tall....

6...o.....da bro...
I know Matt ... have known him for years. And yes, he is here. We met and hugged the first day! After not seeing old friends for so long we dispensed with the handshakes and went for hugs.

Matt is helping the group raise some money so we can sponsor kids to Adventure Camp. He is one of the Good Guys.

Lots of shooting going on from .22 long rifle to .50 caliber Buffalo guns to 9mm Gatling guns etc. The Shootists gave each young person under 12 a brick of .22 Long Rifles yesterday and have more for them when they shoot them up. They are working on 'em. I am not sure of attendance numbers ... must be over 130 or so. Bob Baker laid out a bunch of Freedom Arms guns and ammo and "help yourself .. put 'em back when you're done" ... Henry brought a bunch of rifles to shoot along with ammo ... It's just really rough here!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

PS to the above post ... Spent time with Paul Moreland and his grandson. They are here and having a great time. It was good to see him and hug his neck!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:05 pm PS to the above post ... Spent time with Paul Moreland and his grandson. They are here and having a great time. It was good to see him and hug his neck!
I promised to bring Paul some ammo and unfortunately I loaded it but could not deliver.

If he still wants a hundred "Shootist" cases, have him contact me on where to send a package....on me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You tell Matt I said hello and miss him since he moved......he was my body guard at gunshows and when we got separated in the shows, it was so easy to spot him.........Matt and his wife Holly are good people of the highest caliber...

Matt has one of the finest collections of old Rugers in the country and I (me,Sixgun) got him started! :D ...he shows up at the Topton Cowboy match and showed me his first 44 Flattop and wanted my opinion......within a year he had a collection of Rugers that made mine look like Rossi's.....j.u.n.k. :D

You ask him...he will tell you what I think about cheap guns.......

I didn't dare tell him about collecting single action Colts........this guy can spot a rarity 15 tables away, being so tall and all....one time at the Allentown show, he spied a tri color Ruger single Six from 42 tables away!

Then he goes and steals an extremely rare 7.5 Ruger FT from me..but I since replaced it...

Get a pic of him if you have time or think about it......-----006
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun! Matt says "HI!"
IMG_2287.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Jim......either I'm blind or that Matt is another Matt...but I don't recognize that feller in the picture. ...big beard holding a wannabe Winchester.......maybe if he was holding a crate of NIB 1956 produced Ruger Flattops...but a Miroku...ehhhh.....that ain't Matt....----006

Holy smokey......I showed the pic to mom (my wife) and she said, yep! that's Matt...she sees him on that commie Facebook........he lost a fair amount of weight and grew a beard........maybe it's the sunglasses......WOW!

Happy as ever......I still can't understand the Jap rifle.....Matt was always a true blue American Nationalist......

You tell him that I said "WTF" on the Jap rifle......I still miss em no matter what kind of guns he likes.

HI MATT!!!!!!-----006
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun ... I passed your "WTF" on to Matt this morning. He laughed and said that when I went to snap a photo he grabbed what he thought was an original from the rifle rack (it had about 12 leverguns on it) but because he had the dark glasses on he grabbed the wrong one. I am sure you will hear from him one of these days and he can explain it more clearly. :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

As to our activities at the Holiday, my daughter and I spent a lot of time and ammo yesterday shooting golf balls. That is about the only real reason for golf balls to exist as far as I am concerned. They make lovely targets! But not only that, they are great at analyzing your shooting. If you hit them too far right they fly off to the left. If you hit them low they go up and out. If you hit them square they take off like they had a jet pack attached.

I also had the 480 Achilles on the shooting bench for anyone to try out and quite a few came along and gave it a workout. One fairly new shooter took down 3 of the turkeys with 5 shots and was real tickled.

Today I got out the .44 Special and spent time working on some 300 yard targets using the 250 gr. Keith SWC over 16.5 gr. of 2400. Fun times.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Sounds like great fun.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:10 pm Sounds like great fun.
The best part has been meeting old friends, some of whom I have not seen in 14 or 15 years. Lynn Thompson and his wife are here. I had not seen them in a long time. And some of the CSA folks are here including Hoot and his wife! Also there are several that could not make it who are in basically the same situation as you are my friend. You are missed but you are not alone.

Most of us are spending more time talking with old friends than anything else!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's great Jim...on having a good time and shooting golf balls. I agree, they make excellent targets and that's about all.

Used to have fun when my buddy ex marine DI "The Gunny" used to live around here....we'd set golf balls out at the 500 meter berms and shoot em with 80 gr Sierra's in our AR's....and of course, quality scopes....off the bench......Rossi's need not apply... :D

Well,....keep on having a good time.....it's good being surrounded by the right people.---006
Model A Uzi’s
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Jim, I'm glad you and Mic are having a good time! You both deserve it. I just hung up with Jim W. and he and Debbie made it too, so very happy they did. I'm sure Randy made it too. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:28 pm Hey Jim, I'm glad you and Mic are having a good time! You both deserve it. I just hung up with Jim W. and he and Debbie made it too, so very happy they did. I'm sure Randy made it too. -Tutt
YES!! They are all here. I have had fun talking to them.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Glad you seem to be having a great time, Jim. Eager to hear an Achilles report ... 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the .475 diameter bullets. Glad that some are trying the .480 Achilles. Maybe it will build some interest that might make it stay around a while.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun. Matt says he hopes this makes up for the first photo. ..... :D
holiday.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Now we're talkin'! He's not fooling with antique Winchesters is he? If he did, he would own a warehouse full of them in about a month.

At one time he had 65 old model Ruger single sixes in every variation...and all in boxes!

He's got a '94 rifle and it looks like you have a '92 src.....THATS MUCH BETTER...ALL AMERICAN.

Thank you Jim, I'll be able to sleep better. I really hope your not trying to get Matt to start buying....you know.....those guns that start with an "R"....I KNOW he will laugh at that......Matt with a Rossi is like Donald Trump hugging Nancy Pelosi

How many 2 digit serial numbered old model Rugers did he bring? He even has a few single digit ones if I remember right.

You guys look happy and I'm sure you feel like your on top of the world.....we live all year for those few days of joy.

Thanks buddy........and tell Matt he's not getting Number 843 Flattop with the ivories....(Geeze, he probably has Bill Ruger's serial number 1)-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ya know Jim, when you guys saw each other for the first time in a year and you hugged, that must have been somethin' . He's so tall you must have kissed his belly button and he reached over and stole your wallet. :D

You ask him...he will tell you I'm not "right".

Your post should have 100 responses....it's called a "post of substance". People are more interested in mindless entertainment.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am on the way home right now. Will get in tomorrow the Good Lord willing. We had an amazing time! Matt has been helping The Shootists raise money to send kids to the Whittington Center Adventure Camp. He did a LOT this year, donating some guns that were auctioned off. He also helped in other ways. I will let him tell you about it when he calls you.

He is one of the good guys!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's super Jim!.....yes, Matt is a good guy and very successful in life and guns..........

Well, the Shootists Holiday was a success! When you get home and settled in, it would be nice to hear some stories and pics of guns...please......you guys have the good "special one of a kind" .....interesting stuff there.

Model A Uzi’s
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Let me tell you a story about Matt.

We were at Gunsite two years ago for the Gunsite Alumni Shoot. One evening we were sitting drinking brown water (I brought some up from Texas, just in case) at Rob Leahey's house and talking about guns.(what else?).

Rob brought out a Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander sized pistol in 9mm. I was admiring the gun and Matt says that it was part of a consecutive serial numbered pair and that he had the other one. I said that I admired that kind of thing (to own something that was shared with a good friend) and if I ever thought to buy a 9mm 1911, I think I would try to find a Ruger just like that one.

After the shoot (which was a real hoot despite my having difficulty getting around due to my left knee) we had a big banquet and award ceremony. A good time was had by all. But Matt came by and dropped a pistol rug in my lap. I noticed that it was not empty. Inside was the mate to Rob's SR1911. Except this one was set up from Novak with their low mount sight and a gold bead front (just like my other 1911s). He made a gift of that gun to me and that was as generous a gesture as I have seen. But it was even more special because I had spent the day (and about 800 rounds) shooting with my friends (both fellow Shootists by the way). This gun will always be a reminder of that day.

Matt is a big man, with a big heart.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Scott,
It does surprise me on Matt's generosity.....we spent many a day together.......when he was still living here and after attending his second S.H., he stopped over and gave me a package.....serial numbers 1, 2, and 3 Ruger Flattops in 44.!!!! (Ok...on with the real story).......he handed me a package and in it was a signed and autographed handloading book from Mic McPherson....

Without a doubt, one of the most detailed and thorough books on handloading.......to the point of being scientific....---006
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun .. I did not take any photos of guns! I spent more time talking with people and there were a couple pictures of us taken, but I did not even take my camera with me most days. I was so happy to see old friends, some of whom I had not seen since 2005. It was The Best time!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, thanks Jim.......I hear ya on the photos.....sometimes just living in the moment does wonders for the soul......anymore, I look at photos, e mails, phone conversations, etc. as being work.

Glad ya had a blast....-----6......errrrr 006
Model A Uzi’s
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Jim, it was great to see you again and to get in a bit of chatting. Somehow I missed getting over to play with the Achilles, too many people to see and talk with and a grandson to take care of. Matt is indeed a big man, not just large of stature. He's done me a couple great favors - as he has for many others. Sure did need that week of therapy. Hope it won't be as long before I get back for the next one. I'll have to see what pics I took, don't think I got many (any?) of firearms though, Six. After a five year absence it was more about the people than the poppers, although I did get some trigger time in and got some tips from John Killebrew and Glen Fryxell on lead loads for my P17. A fun time was had by all.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It was great seeing you again Paul. If your grandson wasn't so grown up I would swear you haven't changed since you were on the J Bar T Ranch with your bride some years ago! Whatever you are doing, it has been good for you. (it can't be the preaching .. everyone knows that is toxic . :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I'm so sorry to have missed seeing you Paul. It's been too long.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:00 am It was great seeing you again Paul. If your grandson wasn't so grown up I would swear you haven't changed since you were on the J Bar T Ranch with your bride some years ago! Whatever you are doing, it has been good for you. (it can't be the preaching .. everyone knows that is toxic . :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Well, we take care of each other and don't (usually) sweat the small stuff. Matthew 6:33 can be lived out in many ways.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 am I'm so sorry to have missed seeing you Paul. It's been too long.
Likewise, Scott. But I'm glad you took care of the matters of greater importance. I'm already scheming how to make next year work for another trip north... time will tell.
Paul - in Pereira