Loading BP Shotshells

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Loading BP Shotshells

Post by Griff »

in 96ºF (35.5ºC) and at least 84% humidity is not for the faint of heat. I've quit believing the NWS, as they say it's only 92º and 56% humidity! Even at that they claim the heat index is 102º. They obviously are NOT in my corrugated steel workshop! But, I'm leaving for End of Trail the International Championship in northern Indiana on Wednesday, so I have to load ammo today and tomorrow! So far, I've only screwed up 3 shotshells.. (1 per box so far), on my ancient MEC 600 Jr. One of the finest contraptions invented by man! It's idiot proof, but apparently not heat exhaustion proof! The bottles are so cloudy and dark from many, many years of loading BP and graphited shot, that it's really hard to tell exactly when you're running out! Well, at least before your wad column falls short of the mark!

I use a MEC #43 bushing and a 1 ounce bar for my cowboy action shotgun loads, and after over 30 years of this load, they've never before been known for leaving any KDs standing... without my help of course! With the ClayBuster wad replacing the Winchester red 12R1 this make for a shot column right to the crimp. I don't know how much wad tension is on the wad, as the thing that measures tension has long since rusted in place at "zero"! After I'm done with my 4th box to load (150 rnds ought to suffice for the match, tho' I do kinda wish I know how old those other 2 boxes are)! I'll wait until the am or temps cool off to top off the BP 45 Colt ammo for the main match rifle, and other rifle ammo I'll need to shoot side events. All my main match pistol ammo and at least ONE side even I'll be using my 1851 Navies... untainted by conversion to cartridge! This cap shortage better end by this time next year or I'll have to stoop to shooting suppository handguns!

I haven't decided if I'll try to enter the Wild Bunch match, but ammo for that is already loaded! This brings my shotshell primers down to my last thousand. But... I only load BP shotshells, I should be good for a couple of normal match years. It will have been 30 years since I attended an EOT, (back in '91 when it was still in CA), and next year will be in AZ) I generally only shoot my local club matches and one big multi-day match here in TX, put on by a guy that KNOWS how to throw a party!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Loading BP Shotshells

Post by M. M. Wright »

You're killin' me Griff. I so need to shoot a cowboy match and I normally shoot all black. I solved the shotgun primer situation by buying a dozen boxes of brass hulls that use large pistol primers. 60 grains of ffg and an ounce of 7 1/2s or narfs as Nath would say. Gettin' this old is just no fun at all.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I always keep a few BP 12 gauge shells for when I'm shooting in company, I like to see their reaction to what I call real ammunition... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Senor Wright... I very much understand. I generally shoot smokeless at our monthlies, as it's just shoot, put the guns away and go back to work! With black, I prefer to clean within 24 hours, certainly not after another 2 or 3 weeks on the road! Just got back inside after loading another 50 rounds of shotshells, yea, 7-½ shot. Loaded a couple hundred rounds of 45 Colt, maybe do another 100 in the morning. Then get my .40-90SBN loaded for the sharps and some .30-30 for my Winchester for the two long range events I'll be sure to enter. I still haven't seen the schedule, but...
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:41 amI always keep a few BP 12 gauge shells for when I'm shooting in company, I like to see their reaction to what I call real ammunition... :lol:
:D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

As a young man (12) I had the privilege of hunting with an old gentleman and his father-in-law who kept a pair of very good English Pointers and we hunted a lot. I remember them seeking out black powder shells when they could find them as they considered them to give superior patterns. Anyone else remember black giving superior patterns?

Sorry Griff, forgot about your being out in your truck and needing to clean black powder would be a hassle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:07 am As a young man (12) I had the privilege of hunting with an old gentleman and his father-in-law who kept a pair of very good English Pointers and we hunted a lot. I remember them seeking out black powder shells when they could find them as they considered them to give superior patterns. Anyone else remember black giving superior patterns?

Sorry Griff, forgot about your being out in your truck and needing to clean black powder would be a hassle.
No real experience in hunting with BP shotshells, but the patterns I get with this load are pretty good out to about 25 yards. I've kinda toyed with the idea of shooting a round of skeet with 'em... might have to go to the gun club and get in a round... Hmmm... should I warn the other guys in the round?

And yes, it is a hassle, the voice of experience speaking!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice thread, fellas. Griff, good luck at that match. I have a box of 12-gauge Magtech brass I should load with black for my Husqvarna underlever hammer double, but I have been lazy as it is proofed for smokeless.