Need a place to hunt.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Need a place to hunt.

Post by Rusty »

I have a young cousin that is an airman at Kirkland AFB near Abq, NM. He's from WV and is like a stranger in a strange land. He has his own jeep but needs a place to go. Does anyone know anybody?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need a place to hunt.

Post by earlmck »

Being from West Virginia he is not tuned in to public land. New Mexico has lots of public land managed by BLM (not the riot-guys, this is the "other" BLM). Also lots of US Forest Service in the state. This old kid would hunt up a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) office and clean them out of maps. Or get on line and order them. But my grandkids have phone apps that show all that stuff. In any event a young fellow with a jeep and a gun should have a great time outdoors in New Mexico.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rusty, tell him to join the New Mexico Fish and Wildlife Facebook page. This is not an official state page -- just hunters and anglers all over NM, and most of them willing to be extremely helpful to a young man wearing the uniform. He will of course need to become very familiar with the state hunting and fishing regs. Big game draw applications are due in early spring, and the draws have already been announced, but there are over-the-counter tags for some species in some areas. Many parts of New Mexico are totally unlike West Virginia in the potential for getting disoriented, taking a bad fall (we lost a young soldier to a fall last year in the Florida Mountains in the SW corner while he was hunting ibex), getting snakebit or perforated with cactus spines.
https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/270323896315288
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks guys, I'll pass that information along to him. I' sure he'll be glad to hear it.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Any Military Base will have a gun club, shooting range. Also, an MWR that will have information, perhaps even organized hunts on base.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Blaine, I hadn't thought of that either.