My Recent and Continuing Labors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

My Recent and Continuing Labors

Post by Hobie »

I don't know if anyone will particularly care or be interested in this but I was recently asked by a forum member what I'd been doing since I stepped back quite a bit from my moderator duties. Well, here it is...

116th Infantry Regiment Roll of Honor is the result of what is euphemistically referred to as "a labor of love". As I write this it consists of 1917 memorials or abbreviated biographies of soldiers who have served in the 116th Infantry Regiment and its ancestral and descendant units with particular emphasis on those who died in service with the regiment. To date I have concentrated on the soldiers of the World Wars although there are some memorials for soldiers who died after WW2 or were former commanders. This research takes up about 20-60 hours a week as we attempt to find family, especially descendants, of those soldiers and, with soldiers of these wars, their ancestors back to the American Civil War era. There are now just shy of 61,000 people recorded in my Ancestry.com tree for my military family.

But wait, there's more! :roll: I have been on the board of 2 gun/shooting clubs and am currently serving as treasurer for 1 of them. I've been working as a volunteer in the 116th Infantry Regiment Foundation and docent in their museum. I've also been working (if you can call it that) for a local gun shop, now 2 days a week.

Of course I've been shooting. Every Thursday afternoon weather permitting and 1-2 matches a month from May to September. I've done some hunting. I've also had a few health issues to work through for myself and my wife which, aside from aging, have worked themselves out for the time being.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: My Recent and Continuing Labors

Post by 4t5 »

Sounds good to me , stay healthy buddy.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

That is really interesting reading! That's great that you put in that time and effort.
I have a quick question. You refer to Camp McClellan in Alabama. I assume it
was changed to Ft. McClellan? I only asked because I went to basic and AIT for MP school there. Or is that a different place?
Oh...and welcome back!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's correct. Most usually in modern times the post may be a "camp" and then a "fort".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Fascinating stuff Hobie, you must have uncovered some amazing stories both heroic and sad of those who put their lives on the line. Well done, history is important and needs to be recorded... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Sounds good my friend. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

But what are you doing in your spare time????? Thank you for the update.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sounds like you are honoring a noble pursuit, Hobie. Glad to hear what you are up to, and hope the health issues can be overcome. I know all about that stuff.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You are missed. :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 pm Sounds like you are honoring a noble pursuit, Hobie. Glad to hear what you are up to, and hope the health issues can be overcome. I know all about that stuff.
+ 1 :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:42 pm I don't know if anyone will particularly care or be interested in this but I was recently asked by a forum member what I'd been doing since I stepped back quite a bit from my moderator duties. Well, here it is...

116th Infantry Regiment Roll of Honor is the result of what is euphemistically referred to as "a labor of love". As I write this it consists of 1917 memorials or abbreviated biographies of soldiers who have served in the 116th Infantry Regiment and its ancestral and descendant units with particular emphasis on those who died in service with the regiment. To date I have concentrated on the soldiers of the World Wars although there are some memorials for soldiers who died after WW2 or were former commanders. This research takes up about 20-60 hours a week as we attempt to find family, especially descendants, of those soldiers and, with soldiers of these wars, their ancestors back to the American Civil War era. There are now just shy of 61,000 people recorded in my Ancestry.com tree for my military family.

But wait, there's more! :roll: I have been on the board of 2 gun/shooting clubs and am currently serving as treasurer for 1 of them. I've been working as a volunteer in the 116th Infantry Regiment Foundation and docent in their museum. I've also been working (if you can call it that) for a local gun shop, now 2 days a week.

Of course I've been shooting. Every Thursday afternoon weather permitting and 1-2 matches a month from May to September. I've done some hunting. I've also had a few health issues to work through for myself and my wife which, aside from aging, have worked themselves out for the time being.
Hi Hobie -

My uncle passed away last October at 96 years old. If you'll recall, he was in the 29th Infantry Division, 116th Infantry Regiment. Fought at D-Day and through the victory in Europe. Thanks for doing this!!!