More Gun Wisdom From The Internet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

More Gun Wisdom From The Internet

Post by JimT »

stupid_people.jpg
:o :shock: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: More Gun Wisdom From The Internet

Post by Sixgun »

Remington ammo/brass was junk before the buyout......now they are junk junk. Federal puts Remington's brass to shame.

006 a.k.a. Birdman of Leverguns.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Not debating brass quality.
But split brass blow up a gun and kill people?
:?:
c'mon!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

When I was five I was killed by a cracked shell casing, laying in the gravel driveway. Fortunately my Mom made me walk it off.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:52 pm When I was five I was killed by a cracked shell casing, laying in the gravel driveway. Fortunately my Mom made me walk it off.
Oh man! That was a close call! Good for your mom. Made a man outa ya. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like that Sarge! .....I'm gonna follow your lead as I too remember one time a .22 CB casing split in a Winchester Hi-Wall with a number 5 barrel (2" in diameter) and the escaping gas blew the receiver in half!! I too was kilt. Maybe that was you I met in the tunnel....was it about 112 years ago?

A cracked neck don't blow up a gun...where does it say that?.......the whole thing was probably put up by a competitor....
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Dang Sarge! Being killed like that could have injured you. Too bad Facebook wasn't arount to give good medical advice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I bought a several thousand gun-shop reloads of 223 when home from college, and fired them over the years; around 10% crack at the neck. Most shot out of Mini-14’s since I didn’t own an AR-15 until I was older.

No blow-ups...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I was a kid and could still mail order guns I bought a Argentina '93 Mauser for about 20 bucks...7mm, of course.
I could by old surplus ammo...probably Spanish American War....for a buck for 20. All the necks were split....never had a problem.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have heard of necks splitting. Only time I have actually been able to find proof of actual harm was from rim separation and a few rare times the user had a hand injured. Overloaded cartridges can injure you. Maybe. I had some 9mm that Houston Cartridge Company overloaded many years ago. I had a Kaboom. The case was ruptured. The extractor was broken and I had to send the Kahr for some factory work. My hand was stinging a little. Stupid as it may be, I tried those same cartridges in my Ruger P85. Every case ruptured. I had no issue, but 15 rounds in a row single loading and rupturing the brass in a rather unpleasant manner was too much for me. I pulled the rest of the bullets and burned the powder on the driveway. The Ruger showed no signs of imminent failure. I have seen a few pictures of very rare catastrophic failures from extreme overloads. Glocks had a reputation for catastrophic failures with reloaded ammunition at one time. I have heard of them, BUT I have never seen a picture of the result. I think the internet has a lot of BS being posted.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've never seen a Glock blown up, used to be an armorer for Glock, my 1st gen has had nothing but reloads through it, shot underwater, frozen in solid blocks of ice, left in a truck cab in southern Colorado summer heat,tossed from moving vehicle, carried around by the dog. It has worked every time, ran a full mag without the special underwater cups,never melted, very little finish on it. We tried to make them fail! The reason Glock didn't recommend reloads was the early barrels were polygon rifled and they would lead up quite easily.

So Remington isn't annealing cases, that doesn't surprise me! Nor does it surprise me that some armchair commando doesn't know what he is talking about-
OR is that an anti that found the pic and is trying to show just how 'dangerous' all these "evil guns are" its hokum, stupidity and lack of knowledge. Those of us in the know would pull,dump, anneal & reload those or just continue to shoot it up and take the loss.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Brass is a gasket. That is all. When the brass splits, you throw it away.

Been like that as long as I can remember.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

If I see any newly manufactured Remington ammo I'll open the box and check every one.
It seems that Federal and Winchester seem to be in stock more than anything else.
I believe Federal is superior to Winchester. I see Winchester recalls sometime on the bulletin board at my L.G.S.
Although it seems to be mostly 22 cal.
Johnny
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll opine that it's a good practice to inspect any brand of ammo you feed your firearms prior to use.

I think the only Remington ammo I buy is those 405gr Express 45/70 softballs. I've got about 200 of them in stock right now.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.