Winchester 1886 & 33 wcf

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1886 & 33 wcf

Post by Bridger »

Who all is a fan of the .33 wcf? I found a nice ‘86 extra light takedown in a shop about 2 hours away that has really gotten me thinking about this cartridge. (Well, actually I saw one for sale on line first that planted the seed and then I saw one in person....)
Anyway, having just bought my model 71 my gun fund is depleted for right now but I’m sure thinking a .33 might be my next purchase. I feel like there’s nothing a .33 will do my .348 won’t do better, but still....
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 1886 & 33 wcf

Post by piller »

If you want one, get it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

piller wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:35 pm If you want one, get it.
That's what I call common sense..very good Master Pillman!

There's an old saying. "You want it or you don't"
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

classic American rifle in a more than adequate caliber!
Buy it now!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have both...join the club. The only issue with the 33 is availability of bullets. The Hornady have been discontinued for several years but Hawk makes some and if you keep looking you will find the Hornady but expect to pay handsomely for them. Both are neat rounds and plenty for deer or bear.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Since I know next to nothing about the .33 WCF, I am curious. How does it do with lead bullets?
D. Brian Casady
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:28 pm Since I know next to nothing about the .33 WCF, I am curious. How does it do with lead bullets?
It's an outstanding shooter w/ an LFP gas checked bullet.

i shot a boar about 10-12 years ago on one of 86er's get togethers in TX. Actually Brian, I think you were at that one.
He took about ten steps and dropped dead.
I've taken it out deer hunting several times but haven't seen anything worth shooting with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thd hunt in the mud?
D. Brian Casady
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:37 pm Thd hunt in the mud?
That was it!! I did have a great time anyway. I used my grandfather's '95 on the second one. We were eating sausage for six months! Ned to whack another one or two.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That was a fun time. I used a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk on one. My Rossi on the second.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm a big fan of the .33 WCF and if you cast and reload there's no problem with it at all. Buying your bullets will limit what you can find, but I never buy any bullets myself.
I had an 1895 Marlin from the early 1900's in .33WCF and shot it only with plain base cast bullets, and loved it. With smokeless powder and a couple different molds I found it to be an excellent shooting gun. I always planned on using it for mule deer sometime, but sold it to a friend before I ever got a chance to.
I'd buy another quickly if I found the right gun in this neat old caliber!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Yep...I love the round and have experimented a lot with it. Its my favorite smokeless rifle round. Testing 5 or 6 different case headstamps, I find this cartridge is very sensitive to which case is used, so max loads in mine were developed using one make/style case, then those cases were set aside, and my 'plinking' loads use all the other make/style cases. Am in the process of getting photos together and posting a thread here about the various 33 WCF cases out there, their weights and case capacity, etc. Hopefully I'll post it soon.
My hunting loads clock around 2200fps and my plinking loads do just under 1800fps, both loads using the Hornady 200 GN JFP. The slower loads shoot 8" lower at 100 yards compared to my hunting loads (which are sighted 1" high at 100 for a 125 yard zero) so with my tang sight doing 4" elevation difference per turn I simply crank the rear sight up 1 3/4 turn and am zeroed with the plinking loads at 100yds. Do have cast bullets and a mold but prefer the jacketed. Have a 71 too but that one seems like it wants to 'walk' the shots after shooting maybe 3 or 4 rounds. I prefer the 33, but you certainly are correct, there is nothing the 33 does that the 348 cant do. It is so easy for us to spend someone else's money so I wont say "buy it", if money is tight then just enjoy the 71 you have, it is such a classic. But if the itch is there and you can manage it the 33 is sweet.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Accurate molds has some good selections in their catalog already. My 86 take down is a good shooter with .340 sized bullets.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Brass availability???? :?:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

big bear wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:31 pm Brass availability???? :?:
Best way to go is a set of forming dies and some .45-70 brass. i know they aren't cheap, but you'll have all the brass you will ever need.

jb 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a Marlin Model 1895 of 1912-1916 vintage in 33 WCF . Also had a very nice Lyman two cavity mold for a 200 grain FNGC bullet (#338320 I think) . It shot very well with that bullet pushed with XMP5744 alah Venturino . I also had several boxes of the no longer made Hornady jacketed bullet for the cartridge but never loaded any . Quite enjoyable to shoot and rather easy to carry to and from my stand sites .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:01 pm
big bear wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:31 pm Brass availability???? :?:
Best way to go is a set of forming dies and some .45-70 brass. i know they aren't cheap, but you'll have all the brass you will ever need.

jb 8)
While true I didn’t do that . I bought forty pieces of Quality Cartridge brass for the 33 and forty pieces for the 38-56 and used Starline 40-65 for the 40-65 . I don’t like a variety of cartridges made from the same headstanped cartridge . True you should be able to see the difference , I’d just rather have it stamped in the cartridge face .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Big Bear I have some correctly headstamped 33 cases but most of mine were made from 45-70 brass. I did not buy a set of forming dies though. I had a set of 38-56 (NOT 38-55) dies and first ran the 45-70 cases into the 38-56 dies then into the 33 dies, and it has worked well for me. I realize that people don't like the idea of multiple cartidges made off of the same case and with incorrect head stamps buuuuuut it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a .338 bullet and a .458 bullet, also if you put the 33wcf round in a 45-70 it would sound funny but probably not hurt anything, and you ain't getting a 45-70 bullet to chamber in a 33wcf gun. Well maybe if your Josh Randell, he had 45-70 cartridges for his model 1892 mares leg.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In Hollyweird ANYTHING can happen.
D. Brian Casady