frog lube

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

frog lube

Post by rossim92 »

I have been using clp to clean and lube my guns I bought some frog lube to try on my pistol. lubed it up and put it away and haven't shot it for about six months after the ammo shortage hit. brought it out last week and noticed the slide was slow on returning to battery after racking it. took it apart and everything was gummy and sticky like snot on a doorknob.. took everything apart and cleaned with non chlorinated brake cleaner to cut it off. just put it back together dry for now. I have read somewheres that some people use mobil 1 synthetic oil for lube . i might go that route. I use mobil 1 in all my vehicles. one car has 240,000 miles on original everything engine. must work pretty good if you ask me. any thoughts on using mobil 1 as a gun lube?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: frog lube

Post by GunnyMack »

I don't know about Mobil 1 but AMZOIL( the original synthetic oil manufacturer) makes a firearm specific lube.
Maybe that frog lubed pistol of yours just need to go for a swim? :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have heard other reports of Frog Lube doing that.
I use Mobil1 15w40 quite a bit and have been happy with the cost and performance. It provides excellent lubrication, even when it doesn't seem to be there. It also seems to make cleaning easier. What it is not, however, is a good preservative or rust inhibitor.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm using Singer Sewing Machine oil at the moment, seems ok... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 am I'm using Singer Sewing Machine oil at the moment, seems ok... :wink:
+1. Easy to find (Walmart sewing section), inexpensive, works as well as any of the "wonder lubes" on the market.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I use a mix of Mobil ! 0w-20, synthetic ATF and ballistol in the ratios of 2/2/1.

Tried the Frog lube, mine did the same as yours. Got rid of it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have had it do the same thing. Ed's red has worked better for me than anything else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I wipe everything down on the outside with Ballistol.

But all of my semi auto pistols, rifles and shotguns are lubricated with generic red axle grease. Nothing makes an M16 or AR-15 rifle run better or longer than red axle grease. I used to do rifle courses with guys who used light oil. They seemed to burn it off and would have to re-lubricate. My rifles with red axle grease kept going sometimes the whole week with better than a thousand rounds through the bore. That grease stays where you put it and works really well.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Back when I shot IPSC my lube of choice was BreakFree but now that I shoot more black than all else the choice is Ballistol. 10:1 with water for cleaning and straight as a lube/preservative. Oh I use a little Hoppe's on my rifles for smokeless.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the Army, I used to get a type of grease called LSA from the Mortar Guys and mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with CLP for the M60. I could run over 1,000 rounds between lubrication with that mix. Regular CLP burned off about every hundred rounds. I never saw it sit long enough to get gummy.

Frog lube seems to work OK if you put it on a warm gun and make it a light coat that you wipe off when cooled. It leaves a little bit bonded with the metal. If you do not wipe it off after it has cooled, it gets a little sticky. Left for more than a month and it gets gummy and binds up. At least, that is my experience. For long term storage, I like CLP. It has been the most rust resistant for me. Ed's red is a very close second for storage and much better at carbon removal and at being a good lubricant. At least it is for me.
D. Brian Casady
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

I found some of each of the lubes mentioned in the article, used them, and since I found them too late (don't shoot much anymore), can't
really comment on their superiority. Perhaps someone here has.

Have a good day
Roughcreek
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I always used any regular gun oil but the last few years I've been using Lucas Gun Oil. I'm really happy with it. I get it from the counter at NAPA auto parts! A small bottle is about $4 and goes a long way.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I don't know about now but when frog lube first came out, they were pretty adamant about cleaning all traces of petroleum based lubes from the surface or....it would gum up. I use it in some things and not in others. I find it works pretty well in AR's on the bolt carrier and fire control components.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Sounds to me that who ever makes that Froglube stuff is a real Toad.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Frog Lube is an excellent synthetic lube....read the instructions....thin coating......rack the slide a few times before using.....I use it on the contact points of most all my guns, especially semi auto's.

I buy Eezox by the quart....another goodie....

Model A Uzi’s
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

6 I've never seen eezox down here is it a northern product?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Octagon,
Don't see why it should be a product of a certain area but your not the first one who told me that.....I send it to my son who lives in Colorado....this stuff is written as it "goes in the pores of the steel" .....I don't know what it does but unlike conventional oils, it does not apprear to attract dirt. You put it on and wipe off the excess....seems like it dries.

I use frog lube on contact points and eezox on the intricate parts. What I do know is that on my "working AR" a Colt 6940 that I use synthetics on that has logged over 4,000 rds, it's still tight and busts clay birds at 500 meters.....with the proper loads.---006
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

glad i'm not the only one not happy with frog lube. going to order the clp4 cleaner and the amsoil gun lube. thanks for the info.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

someone some time ago mentioned white lithium grease. i'm going to see how it does on recoil buffers and bolt carriers...

In Alaska i used green waterproof wheel bearing grease on the non moving innards and stock interfaces. it staid put and the metal on those guns is in show room shape
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The military uses CLP on their M-4's...its synthetic. They learned that from had core civilian use.----006
Model A Uzi’s
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:44 am I wipe everything down on the outside with Ballistol.

But all of my semi auto pistols, rifles and shotguns are lubricated with generic red axle grease. Nothing makes an M16 or AR-15 rifle run better or longer than red axle grease. I used to do rifle courses with guys who used light oil. They seemed to burn it off and would have to re-lubricate. My rifles with red axle grease kept going sometimes the whole week with better than a thousand rounds through the bore. That grease stays where you put it and works really well.
Another vote for red axle grease. Love it in my semi auto shotguns and especially the hinge points on my doubles.

Also I like the Lucas gun oil, besides working really well the bottle with the needle applicator doesn't waste oil or drip.
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I use a bit a Frog Lube on several guns for certain applications. I like it on things with matte or parkerized finishes. I used to use lots of it on the rails of my 1911 I shot in USPSA, but it was never on long. Applied, removed and reapplied every match.

As for Mobil 1, good oil. Of course your car engine has an oil pump to keep it in the places it needs to be.
Slow is just slow.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Red axle grease works good in lots of places.
I have used Tetra-gun in the past. It was a good lubricant.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Beaker wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:46 pmSounds to me that who ever makes that Froglube stuff is a real Toad.
Really, you're not going to lose you "man-card" if you read the instructions the first time you try a new product... After that... no gloves!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:44 am I wipe everything down on the outside with Ballistol.

But all of my semi auto pistols, rifles and shotguns are lubricated with generic red axle grease.
I had someone else told me that they used axle grease, but I don’t know about the colors. I think axle grease I remember my uncle using back in the 1970s was black, but I don’t know if it was official axle grease; he was using it on a surplus WW2 Willys Jeep he bought on a pallet and assembled.

For use in my Stihl string trimmer the guy at the dealer told me regular ‘axle grease’ from the hardware store was actually better for the trimmer-head gearbox than anything Stihl sold, and so I got and used some but I believe it was blue.

Is it like Loc-Tite and colors indicate something about viscosity it operating temperature...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:20 pm

But all of my semi auto pistols, rifles and shotguns are lubricated with generic red axle grease.
I had someone else told me that they used axle grease, but I don’t know about the colors. I think axle grease I remember my uncle using back in the 1970s was black, but I don’t know if it was official axle grease; he was using it on a surplus WW2 Willys Jeep he bought on a pallet and assembled.

For use in my Stihl string trimmer the guy at the dealer told me regular ‘axle grease’ from the hardware store was actually better for the trimmer-head gearbox than anything Stihl sold, and so I got and used some but I believe it was blue.

Is it like Loc-Tite and colors indicate something about viscosity it operating temperature...?
Yes. the "red" stuff is usually considered EP-2, a high viscosity, high temp grease for severe duty in hi-speed bearing or where high pressures occur, (I use it for wheel bearings on my trailers, anything at highway speeds). Blue is usually EP-1, a medium duty grease that is good for light duty vehicles in high speed bearing applications. I also use it on all my trailer balls. It'll wash off faster than the EP-2. I forget the number of the stuff used for fifth wheel hitches, but it's also great on trailer hitches... just remember, when it get on your clothes, it WON'T wash out! That stain is there forever!

Grease is the absolute best friend for anything mechanical. Apply liberally and often!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"just remember, when it get on your clothes, it WON'T wash out! That stain is there forever!"

Man is that the truth. I worked my last two years as the local guy and constantly taking king pin locks on and off made it hard to avoid. I still have shirts/jackets with those stains.

I think it's EP-2 with moly. It's black from day one and gets worse.

Post by piller »

Considering that Texas is hot 80% of the time, moderate another 19.999% of the time, and cold 0.0001% of the time, red tacky axle grease is probably going to be just fine around here. I have heard that in places where it gets and stays cold it might cause issues.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a cardboard tub of red axle grease that I have been using for years. That tub will last me the rest of my life. I also use it to grease the axles on all of my trailers. (Though I buy it in tubes for my grease guns.)

I use it on wear points in my revolvers and leverguns as well. A little goes a long ways.