What's currently your best hunting rifle for your area?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

What's currently your best hunting rifle for your area?

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi guys, I did do a search here before I posted this thread and I searched 2 pages, but could not find anything much to my surprise, that addressed this subject. I added the word "current" to separate this thread from previous threads as we have a whole plethora more cartridges and rifles to choose from, and some of us may have acquired more rifles in new cartridges since that previous time, no matter what it may be.

I was cleaning and putting away some of my guns after my recent Easter Break vacation to Utah and Colorado and also digging out some of them I have not fondled and cleaned in a long time.

It got me thinking about this question again. If your out stalking game to within 300 yards maximum, and taking into account your local "density of foliage", animals and terrain, what what rifle that you ACTUALLY OWN would you be using and why?

I think for me, this would boil down to my McPherson Browning BLR Lightweight in 358 Winchester. It weighs less than 7 lbs with its fiber optic front sight and Williams rear sight and maybe just over with a sling attached. It is so well balanced for field carry and can hit very hard with a 250 grain Varget handload with its 20 inch barrel. Should take anything in NA with the right bullet and load. Except for maybe Grizzly's and for that I would want something more.

A close second for those heavier critters would by my McPherson Puma in 454 Casull with its 20 inch barrel which is heavier overall but shorter than the BLR but packs a heavier pay load too.

And would certainly get the job done with the 300 grain Lehigh bullets I have on hand. https://www.lehighdefense.com/452-wide- ... 0gr-bullet

These are a suitable replacement for the Kelley Schlep Belt Mountain "Punch Bullets" of years ago. Hoping I still spelled his name right, not sure I did. When these bullets were sold to Mike Rintoul at Grizzly he eventually discontinued them. I am sure they were not cheap to make at that time so could easily understand. They were a lath turned knurled brass shell injected with pure lead, with an extremely small dimple or "hollow point" made into the brass flat nosed cap. These bullets set some records with John Linebaugh in his penetration tests long ago using wet newsprint.

If I were to go to Africa to hunt dangerous game, then my CZ 550 in 375 H&H AI seated very long, with a 350 to (waiting for the Hornady 390 grain A-Tip bullet!) would be my first choice. This rifle weighs 10 lbs + with its mods, but it very well balanced and could carry OK with its sling I think. It has the power somewhere between a 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag. It could take anything in Africa with the right load and bullet and can hold 5 +1 in the pipe. So if I could only have one rifle for ALL continents, this would probably be the one although much heavier. I already have a load at just under 2500 fps with a 350 grain Sierra Matchking bullet. I have a powder that I think will get me closer to 2600 fps with the same 350 Matchking bullet. I think I could do close to that with the 390 Hornady A-max when it becomes available again. Been on a waiting list since March.

I think I can also squeeze a bit more out of the Puma 454 using Alliant MP 300 Power Pro with the above mentioned 300 grain Lehigh WFN bullet, I need time to create a load and more testing.

Just wondering what you have in your arsenal for hunting and do use that works for you, rifle and all. It doesn't have to be exotic, just wondering what is a good field carry rifle in what cartridge works for you. Especially the rifle itself.

Thank you,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What's currently your best hunting rifle for your area?

Post by jeepnik »

Best, the same as it has been for decades Leftie Remington 700 in 30-06. Favorite, Marlin 1895 GS.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Would agree the 30-06 is probably the most versatile cartridge on the planet? What barrel length your Rem 700? How much does it weigh? What are the specs on your Marlin
45-70? These things do matter in how they balance, which is why I asked the question, thank you! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have an issue with your question ONLY in that the absolute farthest I can shoot on any of the stands I use would be significantly less than 200 yards. My go to for accuracy and reliability is also a Remington lefty 700 in ‘06 with a 4.5-14 Leupold. With that said I haven’t shot a deer with it in several years. 22 inch barrel, wood stock, steel base and rings ...heavy ish ? yes! but we hunt from tree stands. As far as my passion guns my original 1886 SRC in 45-70 with a 405 rnfp I cast has all my bases covered on that property.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got six Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines in 243 , 6.5x54 MS , 270 , 7x57 , 308 and 06 . Any of them are stout enough and accurate enough to kill most any deer I’ll fire at in the wooded areas I mostly hunt . If I’m in more open country where it’ll stretch out past 200 yards I’ve got a Remington 700 HB 5R in 260 REM , 700 custom 6mm-06 , 700 custom 6.5-06 and a 700 custom 26 Nosler that’ll do the trick . This coming season the 7x57 and 6mm-06 step to the front of the line as they’ve not been blooded yet and I’ve got an itch to dump a couple with the 26 Nosler this year since I’ve not carried it hunting in over three years . Also have an itch to dump one with one of my 8 gauge doubles loaded with 000000 buck , punkin ball or slug .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Southern Indiana:

Two game animals dominate hunting around here:

Whitetail Deer:

44 Magnum rules for me for hunting whitetail; theoretically 45 Colt is better, but only one of the three long guns I use is available in 45 Colt, and I don’t think the deer notice the theoretical advantages. 357 Mag would likely suffice, though shot placement, bullet construction, and range would become more critical.

Favorite firearm depends on light and weather...

Daylight/decent weather - Marlin 1894 Stainless with factory gold bead front and Williams FP ‘ghosted’ by removing rear aperture after sighting-in.

Twilight/less decent weather - Ruger 96/44 with 3-9x Bushnell optic. I also use it if I want to go places where I cross roads frequently because the 4-shot box magazine just pops right out to stay legal.

Bad weather - Ruger 77/44 with factory front gold bead and NECG aperture rear (required slight filing to get sighted-in to eliminate glare when aperture set very low).

The ‘weather’ factor is basically how easily the gun can be dried off if soaked; the traditional leverguns are such a pain to get the forend off of that I hate taking them out in the rain. No problem for either of the Rugers.

Occasionally I’ve used a Ruger Redhawk or Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk, but find no real advantage and am more confident of humane hits at longer ranges with a rifle.

Squirrels:

The only other hunting around here of much note would be squirrels. I haven’t decided what I would use if I started to hunt squirrels, but it would probably just be whichever Rimfire was most accurate. That would either be:

Ruger M77/22 in 22 LR with Green Mountain Bull barrel and 4-12x scope - but it is a bit heavy (for a 22), or

Ruger 96/17 in 17 HMR that was a 22 WMR originally, but 5 minutes with a hex wrench and Green Mountain barrel in 17 HMR changed that. 9-shot box mags work for either. I think it is the more accurate of the two, actually.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon May 31, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sorry guys, did not mean to say that your cartridge has to work at 300 yards, only that I threw that out as a random limit to encompass all of us. Please " bring what you brung" as we say. Most hunting is accomplished at less than 100 yards and I know this. Was just trying to be "open to the faithful" longer grade people as it was, no hard feelings.
-Tutt

fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

Couple years back I called Savage and ordered a rifle, you see my rotator cuffs are trash so carrying weighty rifles just doesn't work, got a lightweight hunter in .250-3000, oh! excuse me, .250 Savage! My 99 wouldn't shoot most 100gr slugs but the 87 or 90 gr. ones worked fine for the little local black tail but every time I saw bear scratches on an alder I wondered if. The new Savage bolt is short, rides well in my little truck, it is far more accurate than my 75 year old body and 2 years ago on a feral hog hunt rolled a 350lb. boar like a bull dozer. My old friend Rob Applegate would disagree, he sez the 300Savage is the pen ultimate deer dropper, but I think my 250 does just fine.
Bob
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For my area, the distances are usually short, and often from a stand. A .30-30 is plenty around here despite the popularity of the 7mm Rem Mag.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I sold my Guide Gun to a forumite awhile back...I do believe I'd take out either the 1951 94 30wcf, or my Ruger Scout. It would be much quicker to slap in the mag, but I can also drop one in the chamber pretty quick for a target of opportunity.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I hunt elk and antelope. I use a Tikka T3 lite 30-06 with a Leupold VX3 and a Marlin 45-70 with a quick release Leupold scout scope.
Never understood the need for magnums in heavy timber out here. I had a 7mm Rem Mag but didn't enjoy shooting it.
Out of 20+ elk, almost all were 100 yards or less. Longest was 430 yards. 30-06 worked perfectly. Going to try a 1903A3 with iron sights this year!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

my only two centrefire rifles are a pair of 357 magnum Rossis. Ranges here are short, under 150 yards. The ability to load subsonics is good to. In a younger life I was into big game rifles too- 375H&H, 2 x 416 rigby and a mark V lazermark in 460. Id say only the 375 was practical. They got sold many years ago when I quit shooting for health reasons. I returned to the hobby a couple years ago and 357 is as big as I go.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sadly where I live now .22LR.
The last place I lived 30/30 .22 Hornet .22 mag all got a work out. Most of my shooting now is with a shotgun.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can only use shotguns here BUT I have all the bases covered,
17 Rem
22 Hornet
218 Bee
22-250
257 AI
275 (7X57)
338 Federal & Win Mag
375 H&H
41MAG
450 Bushmaster
As for my hunting,
Savage 220 slug gun
Benelli M1Super90
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For about 80% of this state, the 94 carbine in your choice of chambering. Just like it's been for the last 127 years.
What's amazing is how few people know it today.

They run around with their 375 superwizbang stratomagnum, topped with a 10-40x600mm infrared auto ranging x-ray vision scope.
And still shoot their deer 50 yards away. Stupid.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

As always for Deer and squirrels, my Win 64a 30-30, which has about totally replaced my Marlin 336 30-30 for deer. Either a CZ 22lr or Win Mod 370 16ga for squirrels.
But for the most part now, a 7'9" 4wt flyrod for trout. Its some fine hunting until fall!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My last pig hunt was at the Big Ranch, with 5 pals along who were using scoped guns in 300 weatherby mag, 2 270s, an AR in 5.56, and 308. There are areas where one can shoot 1000 yards plus. They all went out in buggies (Lots of ground to cover), I left on foot with an open sight 94 in 30-30. I was the first one back to camp with a pig and hiked 1000yards plus to get it, one shot with 150 Corelokt, I had dinner cooked before they got back :D I could not count the animals I've taken in the the last 45 years with this gun, I am a dedicated lever hunter, thanks to my Dad who showed me the way. I was never hampered by open sights, rather they improved my stalking skills at a very young age. I have noticed the 26in 94 getting heavier over the years and am considering retiring it for a 92 in 44 mag.
This ranch is a shade under 11 sections, but pigs are not difficult to find, it has been infested since the 70's that I personally have observed. 110+ were killed last december through about February. The goal was/ is to keep the numbers down, as such a plethora of piggies are wildly destructive to the thousands of acres under cultivation. This place is additionally packed with deer and Rio Grande turkeys :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The only 2 centerfire rifles I hunt with .... #1 is my go-to:
2-41right.JPG
#2 is close behind:
IMG_0181.JPG
These two will do it for everything from rabbits to elk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

If I ever get out to hunt again I will use my Ruger #1 in 6.5 Swede. If I visit friends/relatives in OK and get to hunt with them, I will take either my Savage 340 in 30-30 or my 336XLR in 356Win
Last edited by Rockrat on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Where I live whitetail and black bear are the two main big game animals with moose on a limited draw
basis.Most of the shots are close up under a 100 yards thick brush hunting.

My best hunting rifle for my area is my Browning 1886 sporting rifle in 45/70 what I call my up close and personal rifle.Though my Lee Speed sporter and ruger no 1 both in 303 Brit come a close second
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by barbarossa on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

barbarossa wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 am Where I live whitetail and black bear are the two main big game animals with moose on a limited draw
basis.Most of the shots are close up under a 100 yards thick brush hunting.

My best hunting rifle for my area is my Browning 1886 sporting rifle in 45/70 what I call my up close and personal rifle
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've accumulated some decent rifles over the years but for this area, with inclement weather much of the year, a 30-06 Mossberg Patriot with 3-9 Leupold gets the nod. All the metal get a coat of duck boat paint and it laughs at wet weather.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Rockrat wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:44 am If I ever get out to hunt again I will use my Ruger #1 in 6.5 Swede. If I visit friends/relatives in OK and get to hunt with them, I will take either my Savage 340 in 30-30 or my 336 in 35 Rem.
The Western part of OK can have some open prairie. The Eastern part is pretty heavy timber. Lots of good hunting in that State.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ruger 77R in 6mm. Rem Mountain Rifle in .243 Would be as good. 300 is how I see the reasonable limit here. No need to go any heavier for deer and antelope. I have taken one of each at about that range with .243" bullet of 85 and 100 gr.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I can’t see 200 yards on the ranch. Most shots are 20-70 yards and a good .30-30 is more than enough. But I confess that I use a Ruger Scout Rifle in .308 and more recently a Ruger American in .300 Blackout for deer and hogs. I probably need to change that to a levergun. I probably ought to pull that darn sticker off the stock of my rifle too!
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Kind of a history of how I got to what I hunt deer with now. All short range in Vermont.

1960 to 1972, model 94 Winchester 30-30
1973 to 2004, LH model 700 Remington 30-06
2005 to 2014, LH Browning A Bolt micro hunter 308
2015 to 2018, model 94 Winchester 38-55
2019 to present, model 92 Winchester 38-40 and Remington model 11 16 gauge # 1 Buck

The areas we have historically hunted continued to shrink due to development and we can no longer safely use the preferred rifles. The last 2 deer were taken with the 38-40 at 20 feet and the 16 gauge with # 1 buck at 8 feet. In 1960 we had access to about 1,250 acres to hunt and now that has dwindled to 43 acres. Almost all of Vermont is posted! That Remington 11 was made in 1947 and the ammo is Winchester Mark 5 # 1 Buck probably around 1960 vintage. Don't think we could even get that ammo anymore in 16 gauge. I have only seen # 6 and 7 and 1/2 lately.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Which rifle I own that's best isn't the same gun for the different game I hunt. Since I use one gun for deer, and another for elk. Now I could use my old custom built .30-06 for both deer and elk, but I don't consider it my "best gun" for deer. Mainly because it's just not as flat shooting as my best deer rifle is, so when pushing out to the 300 yd. limit for this exercise I'd prefer to use my "best" deer rifle.

Prior to switching to hunting deer and elk with my old 1800's single shot rifles, I used my Remington 700 in .22-250 to take numerous deer with. I always felt extreme confidence shooting it as I never had to think about whether I needed to hold higher, or if it was going to hit where I aimed. Just put it behind the shoulder at 100-400 yds. and pull the trigger. Dead deer. I'm using 55 gr. spire points at around 3450 fps. They are devastating on deer with all one shot kills from as close as 80 yds. to nearly 400 yds.
For elk my rifle is built on a Pattern 17 Remington bolt action receiver. A Douglas Premium barrel, and custom stocks. Been using it for elk, and early on for deer, for 50 years, and it's always put game on the table if I could put elk in my crosshairs. I prefer the 180 gr. spire points in it, and load them to around 2650 fps, which seems to be the most accurate load I have for this weight bullet. The 180's bring down elk well. Anything lighter or heavier has it's limitations for my hunting.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

BLR 308 and the 165 grain Sierra. My old BLR was made in Belgium and has little bluing left on it but it still shoots little bitty groups with it's Redfield 2.5X scope with a post reticle. I'll never need to stop a Grizzly and if I want to take a Bison I have a Winchester 1886 in 45-90.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

You wouldn’t t believe how much a nice hunting rifle it is.It carries like a dream and it is a natural pointing rifle
Last edited by barbarossa on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a bunch of guns that fill all the little gaps. My Model 94 in .356Win is my favorite.

But I gotta agree with Piller, in this neck of the woods a .30-30 would do the job.

Heck, A .357Mag carbine would do the job inside 100yds.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

.50 caliber flinter with round ball, 60 grains 3F, worked very well for me on pronghorns, brought home 24 over the years.

.257 Roberts for deer.

.30-06 for elk.

Only got one moose, .33WCF 1886 Winchester

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

My early Remington 700 custom kevlar stock in 280rem. I can drag it and me up and down the washes in the Mojave Nat'l preserve and still make it back to camp at the end of the day. Usually cover 7 to 12 miles according to my gps, if we're hunting the far corners of the valley.
Last edited by Walker on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Browning BLR (older gun, steel frame) .308 win with Leupold 2 x 7 power scope. It's pretty versatile, capable of a 300 yard standing or a 20yd running shot, moderate recoil for fast follow up shots, fairly light to carry and just as compact as a Marlin 336 with scope.
NRA Life Member, Patron
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

.308 with 165 grain Hornady Super Performance ammo.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1979 Rem 700 in 7mmRemMag when I lived in CA. Hunted in CO, UT & CA all over from the Cleveland Nat'l Forest all the way up to the Lassen Nat'l Forest. Deer, bear & hogs. Coyotes with a Winchester 94 in .30-30.

In TX, the Rem 700 when out west. down south and the mdl 94 in the NE! The first 3 years here in TX I got skunked with the 7mmRM... but the backup 94 took up the slack.

I would include the Marlin 375 for bears in CA, but... I never saw a bear on that hunt! I'd include the 1886 in 45-70 for another pick up bear hunt with a game warden for a guide... but the 200 yard hail-mary shot at a running bear was also a bust! My son tells me the 375 Marlin is devastating on coyotes. But, I have only used one other rifle on coyotes except the .30-30.

Yes, I have a favorite. Is it best? It is for me!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jnyork wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:01 pm .50 caliber flinter with round ball, 60 grains 3F, worked very well for me on pronghorns, brought home 24 over the years.

jnyork that photo is inspirational.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I prefer a larger bore with a heavier bullet. My 480 Ruger is great for timber. A 1894 Winchester rifle in 38/55 gets me out to 150 yards plus/minus. A Winchester model 70 claw extractor in 375 H&H covers all other large game.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

in SE Alaska 45/70 Guide gun couldn't be beat, but now I have an AR15 pistol with an upper that shoots 50Beo. handier. faster. more ammo. same results, potentially. of course, it's easier to run a squirrel plunking load from the 45/70, unless i want to run the AR single shot style. hey, there's something to experiment with. :D :lol:
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

Short answer is the one in my hand. If choosing it depends on a few things. If still hunting in decent weather my Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56 made in 1921 with 250 grain round nose. If less than decent weather my remington model 14 in 30 rem made in 1920. If bear are also on the menu my BLR in 358 winchester or my CZ model 550 FS in 9.3x62 with 286 grain round nose bullet. If stand hunting my Ruger 77 RSI in 250-3000 savage with 117 grain round nose bullet. I like heavy for caliber bullets, holes on both sides of my game, and copious short blood trails.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

In Wisconsin woods shots are never very far on deer. So any Levergun cartridge works fine. My favorite is the Win 94 in 356. Anchors them better than the 30-30.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

BenT wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:24 pm In Wisconsin woods shots are never very far on deer. So any Levergun cartridge works fine. My favorite is the Win 94 in 356. Anchors them better than the 30-30.
As good as the .30-30 is, there are better cartridges for some situations. Nothing is perfect for every situation.
D. Brian Casady
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

For about 80% of this state, the 94 carbine in your choice of chambering. Just like it's been for the last 127 years.
What's amazing is how few people know it today.

They run around with their 375 superwizbang stratomagnum, topped with a 10-40x600mm infrared auto ranging x-ray vision scope.
And still shoot their deer 50 yards away. Stupid.
The first rifle I ever bought was a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

It's still the best choice for hunting virtually any big game in Maine.

Strong enough at short ranges for moose or black bear, and plenty for whitetail.

-Stretch
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Here in Florida where I live during most of the year, a short carbine that can stand up to frequent afternoon tropical showers is ideal. We hunt wild pigs year round.

This is my Mossberg model 464 that I have grown quite fond of for its accuracy and handling. 30-30 is a keeper!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

My best (aka most versatile) rifle is my Savage 114 American Classic chambered in 30-06. But I'd have to say my favorite is my 1956 Savage Model 99F featherweight chambered in 300 Savage.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:02 am I can’t see 200 yards on the ranch. Most shots are 20-70 yards and a good .30-30 is more than enough. But I confess that I use a Ruger Scout Rifle in .308 and more recently a Ruger American in .300 Blackout for deer and hogs. I probably need to change that to a levergun. I probably ought to pull that darn sticker off the stock of my rifle too!

I too have a GSR. It is the only non lever I hunt with. Hasn't been in the woods since 2015, however.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Currently, not bothering to bring one would work out just fine. The last handful of years anyway.
Slow is just slow.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Very heavily timbered here in Maine. Shot's will be under 100 yards
Any of my lever guns will work fine for Whitetail.
Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Winchester 94 in 30-30. Marlin 1895 in 45-70.
This year it will be my Winchester 1886 in 33wcf.
Johnny
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

OldWin wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:25 pm I too have a GSR. It is the only non lever I hunt with. Hasn't been in the woods since 2015, however.
I've killed more deer, hogs and coyotes with my GSR than any gun I own....by a considerable margin. You need to get out more!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:38 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:25 pm I too have a GSR. It is the only non lever I hunt with. Hasn't been in the woods since 2015, however.
I've killed more deer, hogs and coyotes with my GSR than any gun I own....by a considerable margin. You need to get out more!
I'VE been out plenty. Just not with the GSR. :D
Hunt with 94s, 92s, and 73s mostly.
I used the GSR as a truck gun for quite a while too. It is excellent in that role.
I do really like it. Incredibly versatile rifle. I want to buy the synthetic stock from Ruger. It shaves nearly a pond of the already light rifle. Mine is also an excellent shooter, and doesn't seem fussy at all. As a general field load, I use Sierra 150s over IMR3031.