What's currently your best hunting rifle for your area?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FairFrank
Levergunner

Re: What's currently your best hunting rifle for your area?

Post by FairFrank »

jkbrea wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:00 am
I hunt elk and antelope. I use a Tikka T3 lite 30-06 with a Leupold VX3 and a Marlin 45-70 with a quick release Leupold scout scope.
Never understood the need for magnums in heavy timber out here. I had a 7mm Rem Mag but didn't enjoy shooting it.
Out of 20+ elk, almost all were 100 yards or less. Longest was 430 yards. 30-06 worked perfectly. Going to try a 1903A3 with iron sights this year!
Hi and thanks in advance! What else scopes will be suitable for a Tikka T3 as similar to Leupold's?
wvfarrier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wvfarrier »

Id venture a guess its a lever action 30-30
"Be of good cheer, ye men of Valor"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

20181231_090009_resized.jpg
open country win mod 70 in 06
20151205_143156.jpg
swamps 32WS
Photo11040940.jpg
Knight muzzleloader 50 cal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Also from Maine where 100 yards is a long shot. I the mountains where I spend a lot of my time there are some big open hardwood ridges where you might get a longer shot. I have always been interested in deer rifles since my dad took me out before I was even legal to hunt. At 10 I got to carry his double 12 gauge but had to carry it open but with shells in the chambers. I could only close it if I saw a deer.

I have acquired a few deer rifles throughout the years but find myself using my dad's 348 more now than ever before. He had a scope added as his sight got worse. However, it really is a very quick gun to get off that first shot. Pulls up perfectly for me. It is almost a 9 pound gun but carries very easily.

The custom 54 30-06 is one I use a lot too. Light, quick, never looses zero and just carries so well.

Some others are a custom Winchester 88 in 308 with a muzzle brake. Has almost no recoil.
Winchester 95 custom maple stocked by Eno HecKanan (spelling?) in 405.

I generally cover a lot of miles as I am more interested in finding deer than shooting them. As a result I decided to put together a deer rifle that was very compact and accurate. I have two versions. Both TC encore Pro Hunters in 308. One with an 18 1/2 inch Bulberry fairly heavy barrel wearing an old Redfield 1 x 4. The other is a 20 inch Match Grade Machine barrel with their integral muzzle brake. The brake really works and the gun hardly moves when fired. It wears an older Widefield 1 3/4 - 5 Redfield. Both weigh around 7 1/2 to have enough weight for good offhand shooting. I do not shoot really light guns well.

With all these choices I still find myself going back to my dad's 348 very often.

54 & double rub.JPG
348 & rub.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Here in South Central Montana (Billings) my Ruger M77 Tang Safety 30-06 would normally, and has had, the nod. When chance at heavier game like Elk and up I have more assurance with my Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen. Lighter game in years past (Antelope,Whitetail/Mulies) has been the 257 Improved Bob, 30-06,45-70/400 Sharps and 40/75/260 Bullard. Heavier (Elk/Moose and Buffalo) has been 257 Weatherby (1 Elk and never again), Moose (Sharps 45-70/400) and for Buffalo the 35 Whelen ( next year the Bullard). Given the RIGHT presentation and range I would shoot any of these animals with any of these rounds . Different subject, but in Alaska, my rifles are 35 Whelen and Ruger #1 375 H&H. My son's is Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger. If I really had to pick one for everything it would be the 35 Whelen.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

Whichever gun is in my hands when I see my quarry. I typically rotate through my guns every season so while it may not be optimal they are all deadly and accurate. I tune my loads for whatever and wherever I will be hunting. Now for bears and boars I may alter the choices. Good hunting.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I haven't hunted with the .450 Marlin in Ohio, but now that we're allowed to use straight walled cartridges I will when the opportunity presents itself. I have shot a few boar in TX and whitetail in PA.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I like to use a 99 in 300 savage for deer,elk and antelope and when I worked cows on a horse I carried a 30-30 and if I get a urge to hunt North slope alder thickets I carry a 348, overall the 30-30 handles the timber and brush just fine. My longest shot on elk was 70-75 yds. If I only had one rifle it would be a 30-30 for grouse to brownies. danny
horsesoldier03
Senior Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a Mossberg Whitetail Lightning in .308 was given to me as a Christmas present years ago. They get a lot of bad press, but honestly this rifle has been awesome. I have no clue how many deer it has taken, but more importantly, it has never missed. I also have a BRNO Mauser in .270 that is growing on me. It took a while because I didnt have a good scope mount. Either will do anything I need.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

For deer hunting, current favorites are a Remington 700 SENDARO 308 or a Marlin XLR in 308 Marlin Express. For bear, elk or moose, a Ruger tang safety 338Win Mag or a Turnbull Marlin Cowboy in 50 Alaskan. I sometimes sneak in a Winchester 1895 Carbine in 30-06.