Leverguns Forum referenced on MarlinOwners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Leverguns Forum referenced on MarlinOwners

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leverguns Forum referenced on MarlinOwners

Post by jeepnik »

I got booted off Marlin Owners for refusing to drink the owners koolaid. He canned a whole bunch of us around the same time. One fellow started another forum and that's where the "Outlaws" hung out for a spell.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, Here, MO, and Levergun Scoundrels all seem to share some members. I used to be fairly active at MO in the "Marlin Collectors" area, and joined when it was new. But most everyone I liked left there over some moderator's actions, and I stay away now too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Haven't been there in years
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Well, I am no help as I have never owned a Marlin. I shot a friend's Marlin 30-30 once and it was a light and handy rifle but I had no need for it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I read more there than post, but some interesting stuff comes up now and then.

I re-posted two of my threads from here on MarlinOwners (figured it was more polite than just posting links to here to 'steal' members) - the one on my 'Night Scout Leverguns' and the one on 'Aperture Sights', because they were well-received and represented a lot of work on my part I thought Marlin owners could benefit from.

This place is generally more laid-back though, even though we have the occasional dust-up.

I just do the same thing I'd do in a bar or at a family get-together in those cases - leave the conversation/room, and if someone follows me, de-escalate the best I can, and then disengage. Too many more important things in life to get worked up about, versus some perceived 'insult' or whatever... :roll:

Anyhow, I didn't post as a pee-on-MarlinOwners topic, but just thought it of interest that people 'out there' DO read our posts, and if I recall, the one(s) concerning bolt-thrust were pretty in-depth, and well-discussed here.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I remember that topic. It seemed well worked out. Seems that someone at Marlin Owners has a different opinion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

One guy wrote that, "what Paco Kelly says should be taken with a grain of salt".......fighting words as there are a few guys here who have a scientific mind and had a lot to say on our bolt thrust thread....
Model A Uzi’s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:50 pm I got booted off Marlin Owners for refusing to drink the owners koolaid. He canned a whole bunch of us around the same time. One fellow started another forum and that's where the "Outlaws" hung out for a spell.
i was one of that expelled crew. Jayco started a forum i recall hanging out there before settling here on Paco's Ranch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sixgun wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:31 pm One guy wrote that, "what Paco Kelly says should be taken with a grain of salt".......fighting words as there are a few guys here who have a scientific mind and had a lot to say on our bolt thrust thread....
If that person can prove that he can shoot aswell as Paco could, it might lend some credence to his statement. Maybe.

It is probable that he is not nearly as good as Paco.
D. Brian Casady
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This business of moderator kool-aid troubles me. I left Greybeard Outdoors for years over this very sort of petulant childishness. I occasionally poke my hooter in the door at MO, but I am here, and at accuratereloading.com, several times each day. I like where it is "chill." 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:59 am This business of moderator kool-aid troubles me. I left Greybeard Outdoors for years over this very sort of petulant childishness. I occasionally poke my hooter in the door at MO, but I am here, and at accuratereloading.com, several times each day. I like where it is "chill." 8)
I was a moderator at Greybeard's and quit there after some petty thing where another admin or moderator decided to step in and censor, or edit things there. Never been back and forgot all about the site until you mentioned it Bill. Funny how I've rarely seen any reference to that site for so long now?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, it is still a surprisingly large forum with a lot of niche forums. I found my way back after acquiring a Wesson and Harrington Target Classic in .38-55. Maybe go there once a month.
I wonder if old Greybeard himself has anything to do with it anymore. For some reason he would not let the name "Bellm" be uttered whatsoever in the TC forums, or would go off in a rage and kick people out, delete threads, etc.. I got to meet Mike Bellm back when I lived in southern Oregon. Nice fella. The late John Noveske, too.
I like the CastBoolits site, too, but resent getting a spanking and demerits for listing something for sale there that I had listed elsewhere. I got tattled on. Aren't we adults, and even old fanny burbs? Isn't this supposed to be fun?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Grizz wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:37 pm
jeepnik wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:50 pm I got booted off Marlin Owners for refusing to drink the owners koolaid. He canned a whole bunch of us around the same time. One fellow started another forum and that's where the "Outlaws" hung out for a spell.
i was one of that expelled crew. Jayco started a forum i recall hanging out there before settling here on Paco's Ranch
Yea, when Bestlever passed it took the heart right out of the place. The “Cougar Crouch” will live as long as any of us does.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was a member and moderator at both Marlinowners and at Greybeards. Got the Heave Ho at MO, and left Greybeards just because it was time to move on. Was at Levergunluvers until it shut down. I liked that one.

Anyway, times change, people misfire, things move on.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I visit MO a couple times a week but do WAAAY more reading than posting. Here is pretty laid back. I got told about posting too many items on an ad at Castboolits and this week there was an ad for a mold that I wanted, but another guy and the seller were negotiating on it.. I stated that I didn't want to go behind anyones back so I was posting in the ad that I would like second dibs if it didn't work out. My post was taken down....reason discussion on a sales thread. Result....I ain't been back. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. What castboolits mods think they work for fakebook? Don't need them.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I musta missed all the fireworks... I've been a member at MO for years, and never noticed any bad dustups, I check in daily, but not a lot going on over there lately...
I will say that the talent here is unsurpassed, not just about firearms and such, but pretty much any topic you have a question on, someone here will know the answer. It's a lot like the Trapperman forum, a lot of diversity in knowledge.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to go there quite a bit . But when they started segregating every cartridge almost it got very tedious to put it nicely . By then I’d pruned down to just a couple cartridges . But the little Nazi that started the 444 group got to be to much for me to tolerate :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It seems like over-sub-dividing a forum messes it up.
It seems like discouraging 'off-topic' posts on a forum messes it up.
It seems like NOT having a separate 'political' rough-house room on a forum messes it up.
It seems like micro-managing with harsh 'rule' enforcement (i.e. 'discussion in classifieds') instead of gentle reminders on a forum messes it up.

I can think of reasons to explain WHY all of the above are true, and I suppose most are self-evident. Suffice to say this forum doesn't do those things.

As far as 'expertise', what interests me here is that lots of folks here know about OTHER topics, and OTHER types of guns, but are quiet about it. If I wanted to know something about my AR-15, even though it isn't a "levergun", I could post the question here, and I could post it on any number of AR-15 forums, but honestly I'd likely get a 'better' answer here. For one thing, it would be from someone I likely have a feel for as far as what they know versus what they pretend to know from being familiar with their other posts here. For another thing, on an "AR Forum" there are going to be some who truly know stuff, and some who don't, and the ones who don't sometimes dominate the discussions and it is hard to tell who is the b-s'er versus who actually knows something. Maybe AR-15 is a bad example, because it is currently the macho gun, but the same would be true about a question on bolt-action guns, or tractors, or mixing cement. I'd probably ask you guys here before going to find a cement-mixing forum if I wanted real-world advice about concrete additives. Someone here probably is in the concrete-additive business for all I know.

I missed the 'drama' on MarlinOwners, but heck, I miss most of the 'drama' here, so I just live life in oblivion when it comes to that.

I should post my "drill and tap isn't that hard" thread over there actually; it was fairly popular here, and would help the newbies, although since Marlins come pre-tapped, since Marlins are better than Winchesters, you rarely need to tap them..... :lol:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Think you are right on. Things here are apparent enough for readers to see what hey are about. Some one recently didn't want anything g political, don't read it. Occasionally someone wants to limit another approach or opinion. Not often.

But in general don't think there is a better balance for this group.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes indeed! Lots of knowledge on this forum about anything and everything. One of the best things is that we can disagree without getting our feelings hurt. For example, I don't think much of Colts designed after 1911. One member on here disagrees with me, but we are still friends. Why, I would even take my 1950s Winchester model 94 in .32 Win Special to the range with him if he ever happened to be in the area. He would have fun shooting it. We can disagree about 1 particular point without getting mad. Seems to me that is not the way it is working over at some other forums.

I have had help with choosing a scope here for an AR in .458 Socom. Certainly not a levergun, but it is something I chose to get. I have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 that will handle more power than my AR in .458 Socom can handle. I got that AR because I wanted it. Other than the faster reloads until I run out of filled magazines, there is nothing that it does that my Guide Gun cannot do better. No one on here has nagged me about it not being a levergun.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

458 SOCOM's suck - Beowulf's RULE.....! :lol:

(....oops....I forgot my Beowulf isn't a levergun either..... :oops: :D )

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Well, like all of those type of actions, it does expel its own end product into its own mouth. :shock:
D. Brian Casady
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

gcs wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:09 pm I musta missed all the fireworks... I've been a member at MO for years, and never noticed any bad dustups, I check in daily, but not a lot going on over there lately...
I will say that the talent here is unsurpassed, not just about firearms and such, but pretty much any topic you have a question on, someone here will know the answer. It's a lot like the Trapperman forum, a lot of diversity in knowledge.
A fellow Tman member! I hang out over there too. Don’t post much, but I’ve been a member since around 2003 or 2004. I go by Wesley there. This place and tman absolutely have similarities....
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I got booted from every forum I ever joined.....have no reason why. :D AR-15 booted me because I told them I had a couple of one of a kind AR's from the factory.......even posted the pictures......they said I stole the pics offline somewhere and I told the guy to put up 5 big ones and I'll take a pic of me holding it.......that did it.

The big shots on forums will do what they can to eliminate anyone who is "above them" in knowledge.

I really don't care as I had a life before the Internet and besides, why lower yourself to anyone.....it's not as if they are gonna come running over with hundred dollar bills when you have problems.

Double O Six... :D
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FWiedner wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:54 am .

I was a member and moderator at both Marlinowners and at Greybeards. Got the Heave Ho at MO, and left Greybeards just because it was time to move on. Was at Levergunluvers until it shut down. I liked that one.

Anyway, times change, people misfire, things move on.

:lol:

Yes. Levergunluvers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Oh heck. I can start an argument on almost any firearms forum. All I have to do is say that the AR-15/M16 is the worst firearm ever forced on a combat troop in history. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:27 pm Oh heck. I can start an argument on almost any firearms forum. All I have to do is say that the AR-15/M16 is the worst firearm ever forced on a combat troop in history. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Most forums seem to let arguments mess things up. So far, this one seems to be doing a good job of keeping it under control. There are occasional dustups, but they are not allowed to continue.

By the way Jeepnik, that is certainly a topic that has lots of people on both sides. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

This forum is one the classiest out there. I still cant figure out its secret formula, but whatever it is, wish governments ran this way too.