roundball in 12 ga

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

roundball in 12 ga

Post by mickbr »

Anyone tried it. I was thinking of loading some subsonic to reduce the blast and at 550 odd grains Im guessing a RB will still penetrate like the dickens. Anyone know whether special wads or particulars are needed.
JimT
Shootist

Re: roundball in 12 ga

Post by JimT »

I used a full bore-size ball cast of wheelweights over 28 gr. of Unique. Gave somewhere over 1400 fps from my 18" barreled Stevens double.
Loaded in Winchester AA hulls, using the standard wad for those hulls but with the "petals" cut off the wad.
shotgun_rbload.jpg
shotgun_rbwad.jpg
Shooting into old cars I never had one stop in a car.
Shooting into a 12" x 12" mine timber it did not quite exit but did break the back side.
Recoil was heavy enough that about 3 shots from the bench and I was through, but the load was pretty accurate to 50 yards.

I don't know if the load would be safe in any else's gun ............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I do that. I bought .69 caliber round balls and a case of birdshot, same weight as the ball. I open the shell, dump the shot, insert RB into that space, and close the shell.

i have a mold and intend to 'someday' cast hard lead balls.

using the birdshot loads and substituting RB gets the cost down to two-bits or a bit more. i cannot buy the components for the cost of a 100 round case of loaded shot shells.

the shot gets recycled when casting balls

so far so good
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Always wanted to play with RB, sadly our wonderful goobermint has declared them illegal for use. But that's ok as I have a Savage 220 that will shoot one heck of a lot better that any smoove bore. And 2 guns that shoot buckshot like a house afire!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve loaded and tested roundballs in one of my 8 gauge guns . Also have molds that I think will work in the 10 , 12 and 16 gauge guns .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 pm Always wanted to play with RB, sadly our wonderful goobermint has declared them illegal for use. But that's ok as I have a Savage 220 that will shoot one heck of a lot better that any smoove bore. And 2 guns that shoot buckshot like a house afire!
I got a 220 when they first hit the market . Three in an inch at 100 yards is a regular thing atleast with the Remington factory sabot jobs . First year I had it I killed a whitetail on the Blackwater NWR in MD at 128 yards . That was the first deer I ever fired it at .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt, I shoot the 3" Remington Accutips, it will easily shoot one hole to less than 2" at 100 if I do my part. Of course I glass bedded it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 pm 6pt, I shoot the 3" Remington Accutips, it will easily shoot one hole to less than 2" at 100 if I do my part. Of course I glass bedded it!
I use the 2 3/4” Accutips .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Try the 3", less bullet jump .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

This isn't RBs but close enough, Just picked up an NOE 12ga 680-500-FN sabot slug double mold. Comes with pins to make solids :shock: and hollow base. With the HBs plan on using the Lyman shotgun load book for that one, but don't have a clue about loads for the solid. Anybody here have even close to a recipe for a 680gr load? The NOE is just slightly smaller than the Lyman 12ga hollow base sabot slug. Got that one, but a bit of a pain to mold 1 slug at a time with that removeable base pin. Check it out over at noebulletmolds.com, it's at the bottom of the list.
Hope there's no problem adding this to the thread. :)
Last edited by 1894cfan on Sat May 29, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

1894cfan, the more the merrier. Cant help with slug loads, would be interested to know myself.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

1894cfan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:25 am This isn't RBs but close enough, Just picked up an NOE 12ga 680-500-FN sabot slug double mold. Comes with pins to make solids :shock: and hollow base. With the HBs plan on using the Lyman shotgun load book for that one, but don't have a clue about loads for the solid. Anybody here have even close to a recipe for a 680gr load? The NOE is just slightly smaller than the Lyman 12ga hollow base sabot slug. Got that one, but a bit of a pain to mold 1 slug at a time with that removeable base pin. Check it out over at noebulletmolds.com, it's at the bottom of the list.
Btw the slug weight there is 500 grains, so a bit more than 1 1/8oz. I think the heaviest slug on the market these days is the 600 grain Brenneke 3" or 'black magic' slugs. Dixie gunworks used to do their 730grain terminator, but I believe they are closed down. They also had a tri-ball load, 3 stack of 60+ calibre balls, apparently used to pattern tight right out to 50 yards. 3 x 20 guage roundballs every pull of the trigger. Wish I knew the components for that load too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A friend of mine loaded up steel ball bearings in his breakopen 10 gauge; wasn’t much they wouldn’t penetrate...!

I’d love to know the velocity he got . . . . from the 18-1/2” barrel (....hey, we were dumb kids then... :D ), but it seems like 1200-1400 FPS is the sweet spot for penetration, at least with large caliber rifle bullets. I have no idea the diameter or how he loaded them.

He always wanted to load up a stack of pennies or washers, too....
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 29, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The Dixie Slugs web site no longer exists.
They were not affiliated with the still in business Dixie Gun Works.
Roosterbob
Levergunner

Post by Roosterbob »

The following is from James Gates, now deceased, who was the owner of Dixie Slugs.

TriBall recipe:
3” Cheddite, Fiocchi, or Federal Gold Metal hull
W209primer
28/29 hrs of Alliant Blue Dot
Precision Reloading orange wad #TUPRWW123
Three .600 HARD CAST round balls
Precision reloading buffer to cover the balls
Thin overshot card
Roll crimp

The buffer is to be vibrated around the balls while keeping the balls in contact with each other and with the bottom of the wad so buffer encircles balls but is not between them.

This info was posted by Mr Gates on a public forum before his death. I have used it myself to good success along with Dixie’s factory loads but it is still internet info. YMMV

BOB
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

mickbr wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:13 pm
1894cfan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:25 am This isn't RBs but close enough, Just picked up an NOE 12ga 680-500-FN sabot slug double mold. Comes with pins to make solids :shock: and hollow base. With the HBs plan on using the Lyman shotgun load book for that one, but don't have a clue about loads for the solid. Anybody here have even close to a recipe for a 680gr load? The NOE is just slightly smaller than the Lyman 12ga hollow base sabot slug. Got that one, but a bit of a pain to mold 1 slug at a time with that removeable base pin. Check it out over at noebulletmolds.com, it's at the bottom of the list.
Btw the slug weight there is 500 grains, so a bit more than 1 1/8oz. I think the heaviest slug on the market these days is the 600 grain Brenneke 3" or 'black magic' slugs. Dixie gunworks used to do their 730grain terminator, but I believe they are closed down. They also had a tri-ball load, 3 stack of 60+ calibre balls, apparently used to pattern tight right out to 50 yards. 3 x 20 guage roundballs every pull of the trigger. Wish I knew the components for that load too.
Should have been a bit clearer, on the side of the NOE sabot slug mold is two weights, 500gr for hollow base slugs and 680gr for solid base slugs. Whatever I am able to come up with for the solid base slug, it's gonna hurt! Both going and coming! With a sabot slug that heavy it's gonna take something solid or enough distance to stop it!
As far as actual weight, I'll let you guys know as soon as I mold some up. Haven't even smoked the mold yet. Just looking for any hints of load data available. As mentioned, I plan on using the Lyman shotgun loading manual for the hollow base slug since there's only about a 25gr difference between the Lyman sabot slug and the NOE hollow base sabot slug.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://wethearmed.com/shotguns/12ga-10 ... -blasters/

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... ll-126971/

This guy, Hubel, has developed shotguns into amazing machines, delivering amazing forensic performance at hunting range.

not roundballs, but this guy and some number of other explorers have pushed shotgun bore size projectiles to spectacular heights. don't want this info to become extinct, so passing on. for the children.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 pm Always wanted to play with RB, sadly our wonderful goobermint has declared them illegal for use.
?

Why would the government care whether someone used a RB or a slug? Sounds like a law only a bureaucrat could think of!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They cited poor accuracy from smooth bores but yet we can use RB in a muzzle loader. Of course this law goes back to before slugs, sabots and rifled barrels so its a much out dated crusty ol game law.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you care to search it out there is a Facebook page devoted to slug reloaders. I watch it from afar as I don't reload them but like to see what they are talking about. Some of them talk about a slug mould they get from Russia. It seems to have about a 6-8 week waiting period.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:04 am They cited poor accuracy from smooth bores but yet we can use RB in a muzzle loader. Of course this law goes back to before slugs, sabots and rifled barrels so its a much out dated crusty ol game law.
there is a video of someone shooting brenneke slugs at a 200 yard gong with an 18.5" cylinder bore shotgun. once he walked the slugs in he didn't miss the gong. at 200 yards. from a smoothbore. poor accuracy indeed.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've seen that video, would i want to be down range of that hunk of lead in a fire fight- no ******* way! Would i shoot at a game animal at that range with a smooth bore?no i wouldn't want to take that chance of gut shooting, breaking a leg etc.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i wouldn't shoot at a deer at 200 yards with anything i have now. i gave my 338 mag with varix II to my son. i don't think i've ever shot anything but starfish at that distance.

back to the rb shottie, it's the functional equivalent of an accurized brown bess, which caused massive mayhem in its day. i think with some practice deer at 50 yds should be consistent. a 69 caliber ball, I "think" is around 450Gr or so. a hard cast one would not stop easily.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Can I do this with a side by side double?
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:05 am Can I do this with a side by side double?
if they are cylinder bore, and accept modern pressure loads, should be A-Ok.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

That NOE slug mold I got that has a solid base pin? Made some up this morning and made with Lyman #2 weighed out to 575gr, so just might try the Sabot slug loads listed in the Lyman shotgun manual with it!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

1894cfan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:26 pm That NOE slug mold I got that has a solid base pin? Made some up this morning and made with Lyman #2 weighed out to 575gr, so just might try the Sabot slug loads listed in the Lyman shotgun manual with it!
hope you can video the results... it'll be a kick to shoot. not a comment about recoil, real or imaginary, :P
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:04 pm
1894cfan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:26 pm That NOE slug mold I got that has a solid base pin? Made some up this morning and made with Lyman #2 weighed out to 575gr, so just might try the Sabot slug loads listed in the Lyman shotgun manual with it!
hope you can video the results... it'll be a kick to shoot. not a comment about recoil, real or imaginary, :P
Shoulda said "it'll be a hoot to shoot"! :mrgreen: BUT it will kick a bit! :shock:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

When I was little in the 1960s, older relatives and their friends used to talk about hunting deer here in PA with shotguns loaded with "punkin balls". Is this what they were referring to? Not sure when the term "shotgun slug" made its debut, but the old timers never used it.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

As I have always lived in Texas, I never saw shotgun slugs as anything other than a law enforcement tool. However, in that capacity, I have never seen anyone shot with a slug that survived it. A .72 caliber hole is hard to stop bleeding.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

kaschi wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 pm When I was little in the 1960s, older relatives and their friends used to talk about hunting deer here in PA with shotguns loaded with "punkin balls". Is this what they were referring to? Not sure when the term "shotgun slug" made its debut, but the old timers never used it.
Yup.

For flesh wounds of 72 cal and up a can of GREAT STUFF spray foam is a must! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 am As I have always lived in Texas, I never saw shotgun slugs as anything other than a law enforcement tool. However, in that capacity, I have never seen anyone shot with a slug that survived it. A .72 caliber hole is hard to stop bleeding.
second only to the hunting spear, from which no recovery is possible, or probable anyway
biggfoot44
Levergunner

Post by biggfoot44 »

Foster style slugs were introduced in the 1930's . Lots of older hunters who were not otherwise gun enthusiasts continued to call all slugs " Pumkin Balls " for a long time .
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

biggfoot44 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:45 am Foster style slugs were introduced in the 1930's . Lots of older hunters who were not otherwise gun enthusiasts continued to call all slugs " Pumkin Balls " for a long time .
Many folks still do in my area.