TPS M6 scout

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

TPS M6 scout

Post by barbarossa »

Just picked up a TPS M6 scout over /under 410 and have to say I am impressed with the quality .I chose the 410 version as I already have a nice Springfield m6 in 22/410 and wanted a 410 double for bunny hunting so this should fill the bill for that purpose.The only thing I d change is the rear sight as I prefer the standard peep and Vee sight but the shotgun version has a groove type rear sight with the front sight being a truglo bead.I might eventually get the 357mag/410 version next
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: TPS M6 scout

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!
I've had a couple of the Springfield versions, the .357/ 410 sounds interesting.
I could never get used to the trigger though. Can you remove the hinge pin easily to break it down all the way or does it just fold like the Springfield 8) ?

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have always been intrigued by the M6, the trigger is the one thing I'm not sure of but I suppose it makes perfect sense if a downed pilot had injured hands. You must be happy with the way they handle to choose one as a bunny basher.. :wink: it would be interesting to see how it shoots .410 slugs too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The TPS version takes down like the Springfield version with the exception that is has a captured takedown pin so it can t be lost and both pieces separate. I have never had a problem with the trigger on these .The gun came with full chokes so before I shoot slugs I m going to have to get the cylinder chokes but I be read that the full chokes shoot a tight pattern out to 40 yards
Last edited by barbarossa on Fri May 21, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

very nice look forward to a range report. I had a chiappa double badger 22lR/410 which folded right in half. It had some warranty issues and never got better than 5" groups at 50 yards any 22Lr ammo so I passed it on. Im a little warier of folding combo guns now but if the TPS has better accuracy I'd be interested
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sorry, no interest here. A survival rifle with only two shots. My AR-7 far out classes the M-6. Still I found the AR-7 too small the one time I needed it. This is the perfect "survival" firearm. It is also "The Perfect Jeep Gun"

Five rounds of rapidly available .410 shot or slugs. Can be easily topped off without disturbing the ability of the firearm to function. Good for bunnies, birds and bears (well Koalas anyway).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

an advantage of folding guns is quick deployment. They go from concealed in a daypack to longarm in 3 seconds.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Personally if one is foraging for small game I don t think a gun having two shots puts you at any disadvantage but if your talking about playing Rambo or fighting the Zombie apocalypse then I might agree with you
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the cartridge choice of 357 Mag and .410 - might even prefer 20 ga.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

barbarossa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:33 am Personally if one is foraging for small game I don t think a gun having two shots puts you at any disadvantage but if your talking about playing Rambo or fighting the Zombie apocalypse then I might agree with you
The only time I needed my AR-7 assembly time wasn’t an issue. But a ten round .22 just suddenly felt way under powered.

We use what experience shows us is best for each of us.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

jeepnik wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:14 am A survival rifle with only two shots. My AR-7 far out classes the M-6.
Two shots... that's one more shot than most AR-7s. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

cas wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:57 pm
jeepnik wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:14 am A survival rifle with only two shots. My AR-7 far out classes the M-6.
Two shots... that's one more shot than most AR-7s. :lol:
Now that’s funny :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Henry AR-7 has not been a bit of trouble. I have only fired about 250 rounds out of it, so it has not had a chance to jam.

The AR-7 has a very light barrel and must be held differently for it to work. I prefer a Ruger 10/22 for most things.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have heard that the ones manufactured by armalite were the best quality versions and the other ones being a hit or miss scenario
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Great little foraging gun. Hope you have a few different loads to try in it. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My Charter Arms AR-7 is reliable. Problems are most often ammo related. Not uncommon on .22 lr. I'm sure my AR-7 would have sufficed in the incident I had. But, I just wanted something bigger. Heck, I'd have been happy with an M-14. These days I do have a Scout Squad but I don't let it bang around in the Jeep when I'm out in the desert.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

How do you get to the stock bolt without wearing out the screw sockets in the synthetic stock? Did you just drill a hole in the recoil pad so you don't regularly have to remove it?

jeepnik wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:14 am Sorry, no interest here. A survival rifle with only two shots. My AR-7 far out classes the M-6. Still I found the AR-7 too small the one time I needed it. This is the perfect "survival" firearm. It is also "The Perfect Jeep Gun"

Five rounds of rapidly available .410 shot or slugs. Can be easily topped off without disturbing the ability of the firearm to function. Good for bunnies, birds and bears (well Koalas anyway).
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The bolt just passes through the stock. On mine, it seems that a little wear will make it fit tighter. The AR-7 stock is pushed up against the action by a built in washer on the lag screw. The screw goes into threads in the action housing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My M6 was Hornet / .410. The Hornet barrel was very accurate and I was amazed at how close it shot to aimpoint with those fixed sights. Mine was by CZ and was really nicely made, I had heard those were some of the highest quality.

I had always heard the trigger was designed to be used with mittens on.

Other interests dictated that I take advantage of it's increase in value, I bought it for $185 new and traded for a .22 Mag Levermatic and a future prospect.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

On the Mossy the butt plate is held on with industrial velcro. The stock bolt has an been lengthened and a small crosspiece attached.

Just pop off the butt plate and spin the stock bolt with your fingers. A bit tight but it works. I usually snug it up if I’m not in a hurry.

The butt stock is a synthetic youth model. A bit cramped but no worse than the AR-7. Looked for a matching fore end but never found one.

I keep telling myself to attach a hunk of picatinny rail to the receiver but haven’t gotten around to it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"