Interesting from Midway

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting from Midway

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I ordered some 260 gr .430 WFNs for the .44 Special carbine project from Midway.

They had Cast Performance Bullet Company bullets on sale.

When they arrived, they have the gas check affixed but no lube in the grooves. I actually kind of like this because I can use the lube I like best (Apache Blue!)
JimT
Shootist

Re: Interesting from Midway

Post by JimT »

Ah yes. I don't use anything except Apache Blue and haven't for many years. Paco gave me several large cans of it years ago and I have enough that there will be some left when I pass over the River.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:36 pm Ah yes. I don't use anything except Apache Blue and haven't for many years. Paco gave me several large cans of it years ago and I have enough that there will be some left when I pass over the River.
I’m running low. But as hard as I push these loads, I could lube with crisco or deer tallow.
JK622
Levergunner

Post by JK622 »

I have some Cast Performance 180 357's and 265 45's. After reading this I checked and neither appear to have any lube. I pulled them up on the Midway website and read the product info. CP says they use a special clear dry lube which is barely noticeable and works much better than anything else they have tried. You might go to the CP website and read more about it.
Jim
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Apache Blue you say? I have mostly used SPG or some homemade Paul Matthews stuff.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

They look naked to me, but thank you for that.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I'll load up five of them and five with my current Keith bullets and shoot them back to back to compare the bores this weekend.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ray wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:12 pm I recently bought 500 of these from cast performance, now owned by grizzly cartridge.....CP32/95PBB.....for my .32 revolvers. If there is any lube it is absolutely invisible and imperceptible to touch or scraping with a knife blade ! Call me sceptical, I dipped them in thinned alox. Here is what the little slip of paper in the box said.....

OUR PROPRIETARY CLEAR LUBE COATS THE ENTIRE SURFACE OF OUR CAST PERFORMANCE BULLETS.
Our hunting bullets are cast from LBT style molds.
Our bullets are cast from virgin alloy and heat-treated to a Brinnel hardness of 18-21. This provides for a hard yet ductile bullet, which will not fragment, or blow-up on the toughest hide or even bone.
We manufacture both gas checked and plain base for most popular handgun hunting calibers.
Our gas checked bullets do not lead your bore.
Our casting/lubrication process has allowed us to shoot our cast bullets in test rifles as fast as 3100 fps.
Mike Rintoul has owned both companies for a long time. If you call CPB, ask whichever of his daughters answers the phone about the coating. If she cannot answer, Mike will probably call you back. He used to post on this site. Petroleum engineer by training. If it is a trade secret, he will not tell you what it is, but he won't lie to you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, thank you for that intel on Lee resizing lube.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:59 am Mike Rintoul has owned both companies for a long time. If you call CPB, ask whichever of his daughters answers the phone about the coating. If she cannot answer, Mike will probably call you back. He used to post on this site. Petroleum engineer by training. If it is a trade secret, he will not tell you what it is, but he won't lie to you.
I've known Mike since before he bought Cast Performance from Kelly Brost. I went to the website and read what they have to say.

If it works, it works and I will be happy. If it does not work, I will add some conventional lube and I will be happy. Its just odd for me to not see lube in those grooves.

Frankly, I am looking forward to the experiment. I'll take some time this evening to load some test ammo and I'll post photos of the bore after shooting.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott, I had a similar experience when purchasing some of their polymer coated bullets. At first I thought they were unsized and not lubed, but after more research, saw that they use a polymer coating. This is actually not that unusual anymore. However, if you were to complete your experiment, I would sure like to see how it goes if you can. As to the Grizz company, nothing to say here. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Test loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.