Blains Bullets in my .45-70 Double

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Blains Bullets in my .45-70 Double

Post by crs »

Hi Blain,
I finally got around to loading some of those Remington 400 grain JSP .458 bullets that I bought from you.
The slow 1330 fps Green Box Remingtons shot well in my Beretta .45-70 DR and that rifle came with 100 loaded 300 grain bullets and 100 primed cases so I decided to use the 400 grain bullets in those cases and save time. Using the VV load manual, I found N133 based loads from 1600 to 1900 fps and loaded enough to see if the faster loads group well. When the monsoon rains stop, my son and I will take the rifle to the range and see how well they shoot.
Will also try some commercial Hornady 325 grain ammo that almost made good groups and give them a serious work out. Have two boxes of them to burn.
I will post a range report.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blains Bullets in my .45-70 Double

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doggone it Charles. About the time I forget about that beautiful Beretta double rifle, you post a picture of it again, and I stumble off in search of a swooning chair and smelling salts ... :lol:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blaines Bullets in my .45-70 Double

Post by crs »

Bill,
Thanks for kind words. The full length pic does not bring out the color in the metal or wood, so here is a close up of the action, showing the coin finish metal and exhibition grade wood.:

The original regulation with 300 grain Hornady bullets was not satisfactory and I wanted to try it with 405 grain bullets anyhow, so we shot some Green Box 1330 fps 405 grain Remington and to my surprise, we had a 2 inch group at 50 yards! The group with 325 grain Hornady was also interesting, so my son Colin and I agreed to more experiments with 325 grain Lever Evolution and Remington 405 grain JSP bullets.
Then came the Covid stuff and rainy weather, so all was delayed. This week, the rain kept me indoors, so some real progress was made on loading test ammo. All is now ready for planned, careful testing of the heavier bullets.
Now, for a break in the weather.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm glad they worked for you. I've got those same bullets coming out of my ears if you need any more of them. Some Nosler Partition 300s, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Tell you what, Blaine, if theses work out well, I will take you up on buying more from you.

What caliber are, those Nosler Partitions? They are good for a wide variety of game and I am down to one box of Winchester Supreme .458 Protected Point - look what one 300 grain PP from my .45-90 at 2200 fps did:

That is 86er behind the big male leopard.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Charles

That dang double always makes me drool in envy. :mrgreen:

I think I have some 45-350FPs left over from my presale "stash" if you are interested. They'd be great in the double or the 45-90. Those things need to be killing something and I'll never hunt again. My left arm is so full of arthritis that it won't even hold up a rifle anymore. Bench rest plinking is about all I do anymore. I still have the old email addy.

Mike
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

bad news on the arthritis! Maybe take up hunting with a handgun?
Yes, I would like the 350s and will send email.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

crs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:11 pm Tell you what, Blaine, if theses work out well, I will take you up on buying more from you.

What caliber are, those Nosler Partitions? They are good for a wide variety of game and I am down to one box of Winchester Supreme .458 Protected Point - look what one 300 grain PP from my .45-90 at 2200 fps did:

That is 86er behind the big male leopard.
The Partitions are flat tipped .458 300s made for 45/70......I have 100 of them. A long time ago, with way different shoulders :lol: I was loading 300s out to about 2200 fps in the Guide Gun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV