Range report, Vaquero .44-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Range report, Vaquero .44-40

Post by 2ndovc »

Well you just can't always believe what you read on the internet. :D Shoots way better than some of the stories I've read.

Beautiful morning in norther Ohio for a change, warm, sunny and very little wind.

I had several different hand loads in my .44wcf box and took four along this morning to start with.
Two handed on the bench resting on my range bag.

Started with 8 gr. Unique and a 205 gr LFP. First shot went way high, but that was me. The rest were close to the point of aim @ 6:00.
Spread out but not the horror story I thought it might be.
Target two is on the left.
5.8 gr. Titegroup w/ a 205 LFP. Better and a very mild load.
Next up was 13.8 gr IMR-4227 with the 205 LFP. All ten shots went left. Interesting.
Last load was a nice surprise; 200 gr. Rem. JSP and 9gr of Unique. Hotter load, but not bad and the empties fell right out.

Going to work a little more with the Titegroup and JSP/ Unique loads.
Either way, it's a keeper ( it would have been even if it didn't shoot) and going to be fun to play with. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range report, Vaquero .44-40

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Great start! I'll bet you find a great load with just a little experimentation.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Looks like the Rems and Unique found themselves a home. Good shooting right there!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool...!

Great gun,
Great day at the range,
Great load development,
....Great FUN...😎
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 pm Cool...!

Great gun,
Great day at the range,
Great load development,
....Great FUN...😎
It was a very pleasant morning for sure. Had the range to myself and was able to take my time and enjoy a little down time. I've been running non-stop for several weeks keeping up with insurance claims and spring storms. Nice to have a couple of quiet days this week. :D

jb

Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

Wow it looks like you dialed it right in! Did you brush when you changed to jacketed bullets? I'd love to see a 50 yard follow up if you ever get the chance.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very nice fourth target, Jason. Going to try any BP loads?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:57 pm Very nice fourth target, Jason. Going to try any BP loads?
I have a box of Goex .44wcf that I'm going to try next time out. Just need a day that I'll have time to give it a good cleaning afterword.

The real sad thing is, no one has any jacketed .44-40 bullets in stock and I only have about 20 left. :shock:
Looks like things are breaking loose a bit on the ammo/ reloading front though. I stopped by a local shop yesterday and was able to pick up some .44 Magnum brass and bullets. No .44wcf stuff but more brass, bullets, powder and primers than I've seen in quite awhile.

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks really fine. somehow I never got involved with 44-40, but it looks like it's a lot of fun. that's a really fine looking revolver too.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grizz,

It's a very pleasant round to shoot, right behind the .44 spl. I'd guess. I have my grandfather's Model '92 and while the outside looks pretty good the bore is a sewer pipe. No idea what happened, there's a few inches of good lands and grooves and then a pot hole that couple swallow a VW whole. It shoot of with a cast bullet, but not so good with any jacketed bullets I've tried. I keep thinking about sending it to Turnbull for a restoration since it was my grandfather's rifle but the purist in me says don't alter a classic. As it sits though, I rarely shoot it.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you got to have some fun!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Galloway wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:36 pm Wow it looks like you dialed it right in! Did you brush when you changed to jacketed bullets? I'd love to see a 50 yard follow up if you ever get the chance.
I missed this the other day.

I didn't clean the bore between the lead and jacketed bullets. I did look down the bore before I loaded the jacketed SPs for any visible leading, but didn't see anything. I'm kind of curious myself, where it will shoot at 50yds.. I'll give it a try next time I'm out.

jb 8)

Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

For revolver use....

Unique has given me best results for 44-40 published loads. Mid-range rifle powders like 4227 and 2400 don't perform quite right at the 44-40's published max pressures.

However, with the right firearms and the correct pressures for the powder used, it performs very well at 100 yards from my Magnum frame revolver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s771FOfv0l8
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jason, looks like another fine revolver on your part. I'm a 45 guy myself starting with 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W. Doubt I will venture into the 44 camp. I have often wondered if people just had difficulty with the Vaquero fixed sights. Not really "target adjustable" and regulated to 15 yards according to this from Ruger, not 100% sure what version of Vaquero this was but think it was the "New Vaquero" by its internet title. See page 25 in the manual. I'm just preaching to the choir here, measure twice, pressure vs bullet hardness counts. About 1500 psi per 1 Bhn is a good starting rule.

https://tacticalcornerinc.com/admin/man ... aquero.pdf

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Andy!

I've been a big fan of the .44s for a long time, not that I don't have any .45 ACPs or .45 Colts, I just never got into the bigger .45s. My fascination with the .44 Magnum started when my uncle gave me a near new Model 29, five screw that was still in the mahogany case. :D

So far the three Vaqueros that I've picked up are the original large frame revolvers, they just fit me better. I haven't had to do an sight work yet, they have all been point of aim at 25 yds with the right load. The .44-40 is sort of new to me. I have my grandfather's '92, but I haven't done much with it because the bore is so bad, but I'm going to get it back out and shoot it again. That's a whole other project.
I'll chase down a pair of .45 Colts in the large frame as I go and I'd still like a Flattop in .357 to go with the .44 I bought last month. I'm watching a couple of S&Ws on gunbroker right now so the .45s will have to wait a bit.

Can't have enough large frame revolvers around.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Large frame revolvers do have the advantage of mitigating recoil and being able to handle heavier loads as well as light loads. Nothing new there to any of us on Leverguns.

I personally find most revolvers to be more accurate than semi-autos. OK, my Heritage .22 is not very accurate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

piller wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:37 am Large frame revolvers do have the advantage of mitigating recoil and being able to handle heavier loads as well as light loads. Nothing new there to any of us on Leverguns.

I personally find most revolvers to be more accurate than semi-autos. OK, my Heritage .22 is not very accurate.
That is correct. There is a reason the 44-40 has a "bad rep", of being under powered and inaccurate. It certainly is not the cartridge, but how it is loaded and why.