1951 Winchester 94 carrier blocks the loading gate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jertex
Levergunner

1951 Winchester 94 carrier blocks the loading gate

Post by jertex »

I'm new here & own a lot of Marlins but this is my first Winchester centerfire lever gun. I picked up a very good condition 94 in 32 Win Special and the carrier doesn't quite drop down far enough during normal operation and partially blocks the loading gate. I can slide it down out of the way with a small screwdriver/punch and can load fine and the rifle cycles fine. I haven't taken it apart yet but it seems that there is either a burr holding the loading gate up or that it's slightly too wide and needs a little polishing on both sides. Just checking before I disassemble the rifle to see if any on the forum know of any other possibilities to consider. Pic attached that illustrates where the carrier stops and blocks the loading gate.
IMG_4576.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
Fort Worth, TX
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: 1951 Winchester 94 carrier blocks the loading gate

Post by Malamute »

Is this with the bolt completely closed tight?

Check and see if the magazine follower is sticking out too far and rubbing on the carrier.

In an old gunsmithing book it was mentioned that the writer had seen Winchesters that had Marlin followers put in when the owner lost the original one and it caused problems, they protruded out into the receiver too far.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'd say the lifter spring is either weak or the point at the interface of the carrier is rounded off. You may get lucky and have a good disassembly, clean, and lube fix it. Crud can cause it sometimes too.
In my experience, this is most common on post war, pre-64 versions. I think heat treat may have been off.

If you have another from the same era, a swap can sometimes gain you enough to work. It is a common issue and the weakest link in the 94 IMO. When I pick up a 94, I always cycle the action slowly, then push the gate in to see if drags on the carrier.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Old Win is much more of a Winchester man than I am so he is probably correct. Before disassembling the gun try a shot of lubricant at the “hinge point” of the carrier and the sides. Lubricant can do amazing things to old guns. If that doesn’t work I’ll give ya $50 for that old broken tomato stake :D
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jertex
Levergunner

Post by jertex »

Malamute wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:10 am Is this with the bolt completely closed tight?

Check and see if the magazine follower is sticking out too far and rubbing on the carrier.

In an old gunsmithing book it was mentioned that the writer had seen Winchesters that had Marlin followers put in when the owner lost the original one and it caused problems, they protruded out into the receiver too far.
Yes, it's closed tight and it doesn't appear to be a Marlin follower, but I'll double-check.
OldWin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 am I'd say the lifter spring is either weak or the point at the interface of the carrier is rounded off. You may get lucky and have a good disassembly, clean, and lube fix it. Crud can cause it sometimes too.
In my experience, this is most common on post war, pre-64 versions. I think heat treat may have been off.

If you have another from the same era, a swap can sometimes gain you enough to work. It is a common issue and the weakest link in the 94 IMO. When I pick up a 94, I always cycle the action slowly, then push the gate in to see if drags on the carrier.
I'll check all of those, I appreciate the suggestions. I did purchase another '94 from 1912 in 30-30, so if all else fails, I'll see if that carrier will work. I'm not sure about Winchesters but Marlin used the same carrier on both 30-30 & 32 Win Special.
Jerry
Fort Worth, TX
jertex
Levergunner

Post by jertex »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:21 am Old Win is much more of a Winchester man than I am so he is probably correct. Before disassembling the gun try a shot of lubricant at the “hinge point” of the carrier and the sides. Lubricant can do amazing things to old guns. If that doesn’t work I’ll give ya $50 for that old broken tomato stake :D
Good advice. I'm going to disassemble anyway to check it out to make sure that there aren't any of the other problems mentioned. I only paid $450 for it and it's really in good shape (replacement buttstock), and I appreciate that generous $50 offer, but I think I'll pass. :)
Jerry
Fort Worth, TX
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Figured you might pass on it. Good luck.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

It's cracked through in the corner, I can see it clearly on both sides .Toss it and get one off eBay or Homestead parts.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

For some reason the OP 's pictures are gone now?
Anyway like I said previously the carrier is cracked in the corner where you showed the bend. Its scrap,they can be had fairly cheap in good condition.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Work the lever and close the action. Then, open the action all the way, does the lifter raise all the way up? If so, stick your little finger in there and push down on the carrier. It should snap down under spring pressure all the way to rest on the lower link. If it doesn't go all the way down and clear the ladle (loading gate), you have something broken and resting on the lower link. With the action open, point it barrel up and see if anything falls out.

If the carrier (lifter) doesn't come up to the level of the bottom of the chamber the tab on the back of the lifter is broken. And this may be laying on top of the link.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jertex
Levergunner

Post by jertex »

Pat C wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:05 pm For some reason the OP 's pictures are gone now?
Anyway like I said previously the carrier is cracked in the corner where you showed the bend. Its scrap,they can be had fairly cheap in good condition.
I've attached them again here, and yes, I believe you're correct. I can look at it under my magnifying floor lamp and see it clearly.
Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:28 pm Work the lever and close the action. Then, open the action all the way, does the lifter raise all the way up? If so, stick your little finger in there and push down on the carrier. It should snap down under spring pressure all the way to rest on the lower link. If it doesn't go all the way down and clear the ladle (loading gate), you have something broken and resting on the lower link. With the action open, point it barrel up and see if anything falls out.

If the carrier (lifter) doesn't come up to the level of the bottom of the chamber the tab on the back of the lifter is broken. And this may be laying on top of the link.
Yes, the lifter raises all the way up and the carrier snaps down under pressure when I push it down with a nylon punch, BUT it doesn't quite clear the loading gate. Pic attached. When I point the barrel up with the action open, nothing falls out.
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
Fort Worth, TX