Browning Medalist - FTF Issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Browning Medalist - FTF Issues

Post by Bruce Scott »

I have been having FTF issues with my 1963 vintage Medalist. About twice in every ten rounds the hammer fails to fall but after very slight pressure against the rear of the slide it will fire. Presumably the slide is stopping just slightly out of battery.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning Medalist - FTF Issues

Post by GunnyMack »

Strip it down and CLEAN it. Possibly has gunk preventing the slide from going into battery.
I had one, got it in a trade for an M1A. Was very accurate but I couldn't keep the site rib tight! Tried blue locktite, nope, crazy glue, nope I traded it off on a Remington 700 in 17 Remington.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks Gunny, I keep it squeaky clean so that's not it.

I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring if I can get hold of one.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

As we all know, 22 Ammo is usually the dirtiest type of ammo. Between the wax coating, in burnt powder and carbon buildup that's usually why semi auto 22 s stop.
Ok it's clean.
What brand or brands of Ammo is this? Does it do it with all/other brands? New/ old ammo? Might just be as simple as rim thicknesses are off? Without having it in my hands is spitting in the wind...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Everything I've tried so far has had the same problem - Eley Club, CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Auto Match and SK Pistol Match.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, start looking for a recoil ( slide return)spring, I gotta go look at a drawing of one...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Found this

https://xi8.me/browning-medalist-manual-61/

Looking at exploded views on my phone just doest cut it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

A slightly larger diagram, part 9 is the recoil /return spring.

Commemorative Arms have them as does Jack First Gun Parts.

https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?rout ... 105&page=2
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd start there as well as tooth pick/ dental pick the extractor grooves and some carb cleaner, might be just enough crud to prevent lockup.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:37 pm I'd start there as well as tooth pick/ dental pick the extractor grooves and some carb cleaner, might be just enough crud to prevent lockup.
Thanks Gunny, I appreciate your interest and input.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Glad to help! Let us know if/when you get it working!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Back in the 1990's when I shot Bullseye pistol matches a friend shot a Medalist, and had the same issue occasionally. He too kept his Browning spotless, and I kidded him it was too clean to be consistent as we rarely cleaned our guns in fear we'd have to dirty them up for a match.
We got to looking at his gun after a match one day, and I very slowly let the slide close and it didn't quite seat completely against the barrel. I gave it a push with my thumb and it finished seating. But if I eased it closed again it did the same thing. We got a flashlight and a magnifier and discovered some crud built up in the extractor cut in the barrel designed to clearance the barrel so the extractor could grasp the rim.
I kept a dental pick in my shooting kit and I used it to pick the crud out and after cleaning the bottom of the extractor recess it functioned flawlessly. After that he kept a pick in his shooting box and cleaned the area out about once a month, and never had another failure to fully feed.
What was funny was everyone got their guns out and checked the same area, and found lots of crud built up in their guns too. But some must have had deep enough cuts to never cause an issue. My Hi Standard Supermatic had a bunch of crud built up too, but kept clicking along.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

This thing is a real mystery.

Yesterday I found that with the slide held back up to about 3mm from the breech face the hammer would still fall and yet, on occasions, with it appearing to be closed during firing the hammer won't fall unless I apply pressure to the rear of the slide. :? If I ease the slide forward under control it closes completely and the hammer will fall.

I have a discussion going on over on Rimfire Central where there are some Medalist gurus so I may yet get it sorted out
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Scott,

We have a Colt Match Target that belonged to a great uncle that he competed with in the '50s and '60s. It has always been kept super clean as well but every magazine would produce a failure to feed or a really light firing pin strike. When I went to Ohio State, back when they still had a Pistol Team and Pistol Club I joined and took to the Match Target and a five screw Model 17 with me. One day one of our instructors asked me why I was always shooting the S&W and told him about the issues with Colt. He took me back to the storage/ cleaning room and had me give him the Colt.
He took the grips off and put the whole pistol in a large ultrasonic cleaner. I'd never seen one before and kinda freaked out about what it was going to do. He pulled it out about 15 minutes later, just dripping black gunk from everywhere. He told me to dry it, clean it and lightly oil it and bring it back out with a fresh box of .22s.
Haven't had an issue with it since then though it doesn't get the use it used to, it's still a tack driver. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of years ago from Harbor Freight pretty cheap, @ $70 or so. I use it when I shoot one of my surplus pistols just in case any corrosive ammo sneaked in there.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

2ndovc wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 am Scott,

We have a Colt Match Target that belonged to a great uncle that he competed with in the '50s and '60s. It has always been kept super clean as well but every magazine would produce a failure to feed or a really light firing pin strike. When I went to Ohio State, back when they still had a Pistol Team and Pistol Club I joined and took to the Match Target and a five screw Model 17 with me. One day one of our instructors asked me why I was always shooting the S&W and told him about the issues with Colt. He took me back to the storage/ cleaning room and had me give him the Colt.
He took the grips off and put the whole pistol in a large ultrasonic cleaner. I'd never seen one before and kinda freaked out about what it was going to do. He pulled it out about 15 minutes later, just dripping black gunk from everywhere. He told me to dry it, clean it and lightly oil it and bring it back out with a fresh box of .22s.
Haven't had an issue with it since then though it doesn't get the use it used to, it's still a tack driver. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of years ago from Harbor Freight pretty cheap, @ $70 or so. I use it when I shoot one of my surplus pistols just in case any corrosive ammo sneaked in there.

jb 8)
I'm sure this gun would have accumulated some gunk since it left the factory in 1963.

The discussion over on Rimfire Central is now pointing to the possibility of an incorrectly installed disconnector spring and probably a Buckmark part used as a replacement. The legs of the Buckmark spring are not of an even length and, at present, mine has the long leg to the rear. A simple flip may solve the problem.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... ?t=1223539
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry Bruce, I typed Scott by accident. Too much time at the computer lately, brain and hands aren't working together like they should. Apologies for the typo.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

2ndovc wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 pm Sorry Bruce, I typed Scott by accident. Too much time at the computer lately, brain and hands aren't working together like they should. Apologies for the typo.

jb 8)
No problem at all, I'm happy to have your input.