Hawk Bullets??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Hawk Bullets??

Post by Drawdown »

Every deer I've killed with a 30-30, was either with a Win PP or Rem Clkt, and all 5 died within 10 yds of where I shot them. But I ordered PP's last July, ran out of Rems last year to.
I hunted last fall with Sierra FN, and was not pleased with them on the buck I shot with them.
I put in an order for Hawks in early Feb, had them amidst all this mess, and still got them by mid March.
I got both the 150's & 170's, and expecting better accuracy out of the 150's, because that seems to hold true in my rifle, I've had great accuracy so far out to 90 yds with the 170's, which I'm glad I prefer them! Now I'll test more at longer range, but expect not much difference in accuracy.
Has anyone tried the Hawks in 30-30 on deer and how did they do??
I know their reputation up north in bigger calibers on bigger game, and I expect them to mushroom and retain weight well, but don't know yet?
Sure hope so, cause ill gladly stay with them, I like their business ways!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hawk Bullets??

Post by GunnyMack »

Hawk has/had different thickness jackets, if they were sold as a 30-30 bullet I'd say they will be fine.

I almost invested in Hawk 25 or 30 years ago, didn't really have the liquidity to do it.

I've not heard anything bad about their bullets.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Ya, we talked a lot about me using them in a 30-30, and for whitetails. They are the std 0.030 jacket. I never wanted to change from what I was using, but after talking with the guy at Hawk, super nice and helpful, I doubt I'll ever use anything else, taken they'll live up to their reputation, and on whitetails I'm sure they will. I haven't done any kinda penetration test yet but I probably will?
I did several with the Sierra, and was aware they're harder than anything else id tried, so I pushed them the 150's at 2400fps.

I will give Hawk a backing already on one thing they said? That less powder is needed to achieve a certain velocity. I'm getting all the velocity i need with the Hawks with 1 1/2-2 grains less of LVR Powder as compared to the Sierra.. I had all the velocity needed for a 170gr with the recommended starting load, 2200fps. And their Cannelure puts the Bullet at a perfect 2.55", rifling marks show slightly on a chambered round.. i believe this helps with accuracy! Not near my notes, but I believe I settled on 0.3 grains above the recommended starting load of LVR for an average 2218fps. I believe with their soft bullet, this will do well!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Drawdown: I cannot log onto the Hawk bullet site for some reason. Quick question: are the bullets in packages of 50 or 100? Some custom bullet makers only offer boxes of 50. Can you give us a ballpark price per box? Thanks .
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

They are in box's of 50, and I believe I paid $37 a box. I ordered 3 boxes of 150gr, and 2 boxes of 170gr and the total, shipping and all was very slightly short of $200, this im sure of. Guess I'll be ordering more 170's soon!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Drawdown: thanks! Will check Hawk Bullets out. Need to run a check on my computer system first-- been acting strange today. Took 2 tries to log on here. Again, tahnks!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Glad to help! I just got on Hawks site no problem

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've used them for a couple of oddball bullet sizes, particularly for the 351 and 401 Winchester. They shot as well as cast bullets and the only deer I shot with the 401 was with the hawk bullet. Went clear through and left a large wound. I dislike buying bullets but was interested in making factory duplication loads for those guns so I ponied up. They were easy to do business with.

Eric
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I knew guys shooting hawk bullets when I was into big game calibres decades ago. They have various jacket thicknesses and the guys liked them as they expand positively even at moderate velocities. nice to hear they are still kicking, I had not heard their name in a long time. No experience with them in 30-30 but I think they would be worth a try.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would agree. Call them. Their bullets are worth trying for sure in most rifles. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel