Another Ruger came home with me today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Another Ruger came home with me today.

Post by 2ndovc »

Bought a nearly new in the box Vaquero in .44-40 this morning. If it's been fired, it wasn't more than a few rounds. The guy I bought it from, a guy I've known for many years, said it is part of a collection of an old friend that isn't doing well and asked him to sell off his collection. The receipt in the box is dated 1997 and new it was $379.50. :D
I know the Vaquero in .44WCF can have accuracy issues with oversized bores and chamber throats that can be way off, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I should be able to get out to the range Tuesday and see what it can do with a couple different loads I have for my grandfather's '92 and go from there. I really like these large frame Vaqueros, this one makes three so far. Still need one in .45 Colt.
I replaced those awful white plastic grips with a set of wood ones already, but those aren't likely to stay on it either.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Ruger came home with me today.

Post by Grizz »

Nice one. I'm a Ruger fan, they make some good stuff.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A married couple I new at the gun club had a pair of Vaqueros in .45 Colt, I helped them burn off their ammo when they were hit by the handgun ban. Nice guns and pleasant to shoot but a very sad day nevertheless... :cry:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope it shoots good for you!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good lookin' Rooger sir. I've had a few Vaqueros in 44-40 and they all shot decent groups. You're more likely to have problems with Colt when it comes to mismatched chamber throats. That Ruger will have .429 groove diameter so all you have to do is be sure your chamber throats are correct. Just my experience with them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

It's a nice one! Going to go with stag, bone, ivory?

From what I hear, sometimes the chamber throats are tight, which is relatively not too bad to fix. Shooting cast bullets formed not too hard may help. But if everything is correct, going from bigger to smaller, they can be made to really shoot!
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Agree with you about the large frame older vaqueros and I think they are cat's meow!

I have Bisley .45 Colt large frame Vaquero that I should shoot at least once. ALways wanted a .41 Magnum large frame Vaquero, but for some reason or another I just never seemed to purchase one when they were available.

Good luck with it.
Last edited by Ray Newman on Sun May 16, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:10 am Good lookin' Rooger sir. I've had a few Vaqueros in 44-40 and they all shot decent groups. You're more likely to have problems with Colt when it comes to mismatched chamber throats. That Ruger will have .429 groove diameter so all you have to do is be sure your chamber throats are correct. Just my experience with them.
That's good to hear. I almost ended up with one from an estate a couple of years ago but some creep beat me and my friend to the daughter and bought everything for next to nothing. We would have given her a good buck for her dad's collection.
Anyway, just about everything I'd read about the .44-40s was negative but still didn't keep me from buying one. I figure there isn't much that can't be fixed with a little experimenting or a little competent gunsmithing.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Nice sixgun. Some of the early 44-40 Vaqueros had pretty unfortunate dimensions on the chamber and throat. Ed Harris came up with a reamer for fixing these guns which tend to have tight necks and way undersize throats. I believe the reamer resides with John Taylor out in Washington. He does great work for a fair price if you end up needing to go that route.

Eric
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Looks great! Let us know how it shoots.