Ruger .44 Flattop can shoot too.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger .44 Flattop can shoot too.

Post by 2ndovc »

Windy and about 47 degrees out again today, but had a little time to get an idea what the new Flattop can do.

I had some 7 gr. unique/ 240 gr LSWC . 44 Spl. loads made up and also took my standard .44 Magnum general purpose load of 10.5 gr. unique / 240 gr. LSWC that most of my .44s shoot very well.

I warmed up with a couple of cylinders of the .44 Spl. load and wanted to try my .44 Mag. loads. What a difference between an OM Super Blackhawk and this Old Model Flattop. I can shoot that load all day out of my Bowen .44 but they were downright painful in the FT. Back to the .44 Spl. loads and a couple shots to get over the flinch I developed shooting the magnum loads. I did pretty well at 20 yds shooting one handed at the target on the right.
The left target does have five rounds on it. The two to the left are through the same hole. I'd adjusted my grip a bit and pulled those last two.
I'm going to make up a box of 7.5 gr. unique with the same bullet and see if I can shrink the Special group a bit.
Anyway, It's a keeper! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger .44 Flattop can shoot too.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

On mine, the front sight is too high. I need to take a file to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The rear sight on mine is cranked all the way down, I'll see where it goes with the 7.5 gr. loads, I might have to do the same thing.

By the way, I can see why you put the oversize grips on yours. Man, that sucker really jumps with magnum loads! First time I've had an issue with the trigger guard whacking my knuckle. I think I'll stick to the .44 Spl with this one.

jb 8)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Go to go, just adjusted the point of aim from the first rd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I think when a previous owner sent my flattop to Magnaport, they installed a taller front sight on it.

I don't plan on using heavy loads in this gun, just because I don't need to beat myself up. I may go back to the original grips and just file that front sight down to accommodate my .44 Special Skeeter loads and be done with it.

Its a nice revolver and somebody spent a lot of money getting it re-crowned and magnaported (but those additions don't really help or hurt me).

But I note that this gun is similar to one of Taffin’s old model Rugers.
gunlovebirds1024
Levergunner

Post by gunlovebirds1024 »

Looks great. Still think Ruger Blackhawk is one of the best all around options for a hand gun
2ndovc wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:34 pm First time I've had an issue with the trigger guard whacking my knuckle. I think I'll stick to the .44 Spl with this one.

jb 8)
If it is waking your knuckle you must have one of the early ones. Try changing your XR3 frame to an XR3-Red frame. Ruger changed and standardized all their frames to the Red frame for that reason. Option B could be:

Dragoon frame is a great option. Also allows for a wide trigger.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm still stuck on 47 degrees on May 11th! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

gunlovebirds1024 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm Dragoon frame is a great option. Also allows for a wide trigger.
That would certainly solve my issues.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the looks of that brass Dragoon frame.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

gunlovebirds1024 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm Looks great. Still think Ruger Blackhawk is one of the best all around options for a hand gun
2ndovc wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:34 pm First time I've had an issue with the trigger guard whacking my knuckle. I think I'll stick to the .44 Spl with this one.

jb 8)
If it is waking your knuckle you must have one of the early ones. Try changing your XR3 frame to an XR3-Red frame. Ruger changed and standardized all their frames to the Red frame for that reason. Option B could be:

Dragoon frame is a great option. Also allows for a wide trigger.
That's a really nice looking revolver, but this one is going to stay just like I found it. I have five other .44 magnum revolvers if I want to shoot the heavy stuff. :D

Jay,
It's 36 degrees out this morning. :lol: I was going to take another ride out to the range with the 10mm/.40S&W Blackhawk this morning but I have a pile of estimates and reports to do. I haven't shot the .40 yet, didn't have any ammo and it's been non-existent around here. Found some once fired brass so I loaded up a box. Should be interesting.

jb 8)