When did this happen? 348 Winchester bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

When did this happen? 348 Winchester bullets

Post by coyote nose »

Just noticed the Hornady .348 cal 200 GN flat point for the fantastic Winchester 71 is discontinued. Not out of stock , but discontinued. When? Is their flex tip that much better?? Is that what did it?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: When did this happen? 348 Winchester bullets

Post by Ray »

In 2013 Hornady discontinued 150 different products including the most of the much appreciated flat-nosed designs.

Of course, if steve hornady needs bullets for his .218 bee or .33 win. he can get them. We can just do without.....
m.A.g.a. !
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Thank you....guess I am out of touch, it happened 8 years ago!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Either that, or your big stash just now started running low.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh goody!...love it when something is discontinued......that's when I sell and greatly capitalize......

Birdman of Leverguns
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

TIP:

Whenever I have occasion to call a gunstore, especially small ones in out of the way places I always ask,:

You wouldn't happen to have any 348Winchester ,218Bee, 375Winchester ammo, brass, bullets sitting around on the shelf?
If they have any, I buy it ALL!

Done this for years and have good stock for my favourite rifles.I suspect this should be be fruitful given the large number of small gun stores in your country. Buy some of that nice Starline 348Win brass while you are at it,otherwise you'll be whining bout no brass for your 71's in a few years.

Found 6 boxes of Hornady 200gr 348 bullets and 2 boxes of Hornady bullets for my 375Winchester lever gun just a month ago that way. :wink:

(You 348Win shooters need to grab a bullet mold for your rifle also then you'll never need to stress about manufacturer's whims!)
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Yep, about the same time they discontinued the 220 grain .375. Can't help with the .348, but Vollmer makes a 220/375 that's the spittin' image of the Hornady.

My own episode with this type of situation was some years back after I loaded the last of my Speer half-jacket 44 bullets. I stopped at a shop that usually had a good stock of Speer bullets and the owner just started laughing - "They haven't made those in years!" says he...

Relating the experience to a friend and fellow handloader, he replied, "it's funny when we outlive some of our favorite things". I'm still working on finding it funny.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

You can still get jacketed .348 bullets from Hawk Bullets, it appears. On their web site it looks like they offer 3 different weights. FYI

Not Hornady, but it’s something at least...
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill