50 BMG Rifle Blowup

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 50 BMG Rifle Blowup

Post by Rusty »

On the other side of this you should go watch the 5 minute video by Mark Serbu. He states there how he fires every gun that leaves his factory. The guns are designed to meet all the standards for the .50 cal. He says several people on active duty have also contacted him and told him that even an M2 can blow up and are known to do so.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The M2 Browning could blow IF whoever changed barrel did not set the headspace and timing correctly. That has been taken care of with the M2A1 modification.

This M2 was in service for 90 years with needing any repairs. I would hope the cheaper single shot would go that long but I have my doubts.
https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles ... ng-repair/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

M2, screw in the barrel until it stops, back out 7 clicks. Pull charging handle until the square dimple is centered in the hole on the side. Use the Go/No Go gauge. Adjust 1 click at a time if necessary.

At least that is what I remember from my very limited training with Ma Deuce.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Rusty wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 pm On the other side of this you should go watch the 5 minute video by Mark Serbu. He states there how he fires every gun that leaves his factory. The guns are designed to meet all the standards for the .50 cal. He says several people on active duty have also contacted him and told him that even an M2 can blow up and are known to do so.
See Jim Taylor's post and Pillers about the MaDeuce. Very correct.

A "threaded on" end cap on a 50 BMG? That's called "engineering"? But even that can be figured out. Very old ammunition, no longer manufactured, not sure even of its pedigree according to Scott's video. Perfect storm maybe? Crazy theories about "plastic fouling" on the internet. Now I'm hearing that lawyers want to get involved who know nothing about firearms want to insert themselves here. Yeah, that will help for sure. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The "SLAP" rounds were designed for a Ma Deuce NOT a single barrel rifle with a considerably shorter and thinner barrel design
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Well Mark is not running from this and I respect him for it.

https://youtu.be/na1Qo7FxDeM
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:56 am Well Mark is not running from this and I respect him for it.
https://youtu.be/na1Qo7FxDeM
Yessir.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That ammo does look suspect, thanks for posting that video link. Not sure how half the powder in the case could have escaped. Also a fast burning pistol powder is a lot less prone to a detonation but more easily over-charged or double charged. OTOH a very slow burning 50 bmg powder in a half full case would more easily cause one. I hope they can better determine what the type of powder was. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel