Picked up a beater

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Picked up a beater

Post by Walker »

Kind of a foul weather backup to my 71 carbine. Both made in 1941. Haven't shot the full mag yet to see how much of a difference it makes on accuracy.
20210421_102803.jpg
20210421_102859.jpg
If I go with friends to Colorado next year I'm thinking of having it chambered in 348 Ackley Improved. Does 348ai out of a 20 inch barrel gain enough to make it worth the change?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Picked up a beater

Post by gamekeeper »

If that's a beater, I'd hate to know what you'd call my guns...... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Fine looking beaters :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Heh, the carbine has more carry wear than you can see but it's nice enough that I'd want to use something else on a hard hunt. The customized model 71 might be the perfect beater/backup rifle with the receiver drilled for a scope mount, barrel shortened at 20 inches, and full mag.

With today's bullets from Woodleigh and Hawk is 348 AI out of the short barrel necessary any more? Thinking of all of the bear sign my buddies see where they hunt in Colorado.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I'm skeptical that improving the chamber would be worth it. The AI is not going to do anything the 348 can't do with those setups. Not my guns, but I think I would just find a load acceptable in both and keep things simple.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Interesting....never saw someone putting a full mag on a 71. I'd definitely check to see that carbine style barrel band is "freefloated". 71's are notorious for the forened cap being too tight and if you combine that with a tight barrel band it will throw your shots all over after a couple of rounds to heat it up.

I see it has the bolt peep, a very desirable sight indeed.

Sure wouldn't call it a beater....I'd call it a nice 71 with a couple of contemporary mods.....

Leave the chamber alone....the A.I. is a solution to a nonexistent problem in the 348.

1941 huh? How close to 20375, one of my pre wars? ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Hey Six, my carbine is #20181 and the custom is #21956. Imagine I've got some work to do as the barrel band feels like it's welded in place. The forend feels floated though. Interesting configuration. I really like the extra rounds if things get exciting.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I was off a year on the custom, it's from 1942.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 am Hey Six, my carbine is #20181 and the custom is #21956. Imagine I've got some work to do as the barrel band feels like it's welded in place. The forend feels floated though. Interesting configuration. I really like the extra rounds if things get exciting.
Only the first shot from a cold barrel will matter. If things get exciting, the action will be so close that any minor variation in accuracy will be meaningless.

I would shoot that full tube carbine and see what it will do from a cold barrel. (One shot, cool it down, then fire another......). Then test and see if repeat shots open things up.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I know beaters, as over decades of collecting I've bought many just to fix up. I don't see any beaters there?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Yeah Guys, maybe not a beater but with the upgrades I'm not worried about nicks and dings on the full mag carbine. That original carbine was my Grail gun, so I'm more protective of it. I'll keep both in the original chambering and put the savings toward good bullets and a change of shorts... for after the excitement.
I picked up new brass back when it was cheap and Barnes-X bullets from a board member so I just need to get a load that works well enough for both.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Walker....let me explain something to you on "beaters"......a quality gun with a minor alternation is called "non collectible", "beater", "junk", all for one reason.....it's an excuse for the buyer upon making a deal with the seller to get it without parting with anymore money he has to........a "beater" in my opinion is a gun that was abused, never cleaned, drug behind a horse, stock held together with duct tape, barrel chopped to 16 inches, a scope welded on..and so forth....

A $5000 gun with 2 extra 1/8" holes is still worth $4,500 but the price suddenly drops to $2500. You still have two nice guns there...the carbine is especially desirable....

Forgot how many times I've seen knowledgeable people beat down the unknowledgable seller with excuses like.."it has a nick on the wood", there's a split in the tang area, I see heavy rust in the bore..(when it's dust)....and so on....then the new buyer gleefully walks away with his new prize and has it all fixed up nice in a couple of hours.....(yea, I've done that)----006
Model A Uzi’s
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I follow... the full mag 71 is one that I'd take into weather and terrain that I won't take the carbine into. Not a beater but it won't lose any value going up the mountain.

The carbine receiver has carry wear on the bottom so it's not mint and I'd be comfortable in the woods with it.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow. Two short rifle 71s?!
Bra-vo sir.

Like Six said, to me a beater is a firearm that has been abused. Wear is not abuse, and I actually love the look of a Winchester with wear that has been well cared for.
If I buy a rifle as a "beater", I still find myself caring for it as I would any other rifle. It's the creed of the rifleman.

I also think we have reached a point where ANY functioning 86 action is not a beater. :D

I do hope your new purchase gives you more time afield with a wonderful rifle. I'm sure that was your idea behind the acquisition. I've done that many times myself.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

The bolt peep on the custom is really nice. I've heard they tend to work loose but this one's tight. Playing with an old merit hunting aperture I can actually see the front sight without my glasses.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Really like that full mag 71. I have a second 71 rifle that was re-stocked and am thinking of making it a carbine. If you were going to have this done who would you recommend?? If I were just shortening the barrel there is a local gunsmith quite capable. Adding a full length magazine I am not so sure of. Thanks for any info you can share....
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Personally, 71's are so hard to find and such a classic, I would not be inclined to modify one. If I was going to move from .348, the improved version does little in the way of improvement. If you want to change it, you could go 450 Alaskan or 50 Alaskan. 348 case expanded to 458 or 510. These are a whole new level of thump on the 71.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The .348 is a pretty powerful cartridge as is. I'm not sure I would do anything but shoot it until it was a part of me.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Already have one original one and the second one is already messed with so I would like to make some changes that I would like. I am not set on those changes though....
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

The previous owner had also converted another 71 deluxe to full length mag with the 24 inch barrel. He was in his 70s and raising money for a sailboat. If he's still available I'll ask who did the work, he may have done it himself though.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thank you!
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

There's nothing like heading to the wood's in class!
Those 71's are oozing class!
Enjoy your Winchesters. :D
Johnny
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Sorry to report the previous owner passed on last year.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Very sorry to hear he is no longer with us....thank you very much for trying...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I call them Truck Guns....
Like my trucks, I use them to the maximum of their ability and if they get a little scratched or worn, so be it. It's what I bought them for, and they are no less potent for that.
They (trucks and guns) are not damaged, they Have Character 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Woodsloafer2 I just had some work done by Mike Hunter restorations and was VERY HAPPY with the results so I would check with Mike.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thank you!
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Waiting to see a shooting report on the long tube 71. Tomorrow I'll look up my BarnesX bullet loads. There is an old Handloader magazine with some loads for the X bullets.I killed one black bear with a BarnesX 200gr X bullet worked fine but so did my plain old Hornady 200gr bullet.The BarnesX bullets sure are pretty though.

Do you have the 200 or 220 BarnesX bullets or both?

Not sure what I'd ever need more the 5 rounds of 348Win for though. :lol:
My "hunting 71's with "extra work"
Browning 71 carbine with Burris FastFireII red dot/Turnbull mount. (No drilling required)

My packin 71, restocked (bought cheap because of horse busted stock), Redfield receiver sights and King reflector front sight

Found some of my notes.For the Barnes X 220g bullets I used RL-19 starting at 62gr and working up.I use 66gr H4831sc with my Hornady 200gr bullets. Accurate and has not failed me to date on deer and black bear. I've been fooling with some cast bullets lately and they look promising.Above loads safe for me and my rifles. For your reloading guidance I strongly suggest you check a real reloading guide and trust them.My advice is free and worth exactly what you paid for it.