OT- Two year project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Two year project

Post by marlinman93 »

I've posted some pictures of my project in the past, but thought I'd post a recent update. There have been a number of "firsts" for me on this project, as it's been the most extensive car build of my life. I've built cars since high school, but usually not involving this much work!
This '39 Chev came home just barely over 2 years ago. It was a car make and model I'd wanted since high school. I'd owned a '40 Chev coupe in 1968, and sold it. My dad's first new car was a '39 Chev also, and I still have pictures of him and the car somewhere in a box of pictures. I found this car at a local swap meet for $1500. It was a mess, and the body had been dropped on a nice original frame, but bolted with two bolts because all the rest of the lower body was rotted away! I spent the first 6 months replacing every bit of metal in the bottom 4" of the body. That included floors, rockers, lower doors, lower 1/4 panels, lower cowl, lower firewall, and tail panel.
After all the metal repair, I installed all new engine, trans, and rear axle I built. Added all new front suspension, and a bunch of frame mods.
Got the interior quotes, and they put me into sticker shock, so I bought a old commercial Singer used, and did my first automotive interior. Then decided the final thing left was getting the bodywork straight, and paint it. Got all the bodywork straight, and primed. Then decided to do the paint myself also. Another first time thing for me.
So looks like it's finally done up for good, other than some cutting and buffing.
This was the day it was dropped off here by the seller:

And this was taken yesterday:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT- Two year project

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool project and really neat to see old machines restored, especially when done so well...! 8)

So.....when do you want me to send my twelve year old Honda over there.... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Stick shift? On the "tree"? 3 speed or 4 speed? Did you leave it with points and condenser?

Looks fun to drive.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Looks good. I have been kept busy trying to keep my daily drivers up and running so no progress on my old mustang.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

How cool is that, great job it`s a beauty and a Astro van to boot. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very Very nice job.. :D my Chevy is only 11 years old and looks terrible compared to your beauty...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm Stick shift? On the "tree"? 3 speed or 4 speed? Did you leave it with points and condenser?

Looks fun to drive.
A little of both. It's a 4 speed, but not a stick. A 4 speed automatic, with 4th gear overdrive. Shifter is an old Hurst stick I had here that I used to build my own homemade floor shifter from. So people look inside and think it's a 4 speed manual, but it's automatic. With 3.73 posi rear, and about 370 hp, it still gets 18 mpg cruising at 70-75 mph in 4th OD.

Same for the distributor. The engine started out as a 1990 GMC Vandura 350 motor. But I rebuilt the 350 roller motor using a pair of early 70's Corvette/Camaro LT1 heads, and roller cam, and rockers. So using the early heads meant an early intake and distributor. So I have a points distributor that I converted with an Accel electronic kit. So no setting points, or replacing them ever.

Hey Pitchy, the Astro van is my neighbor's van. He rarely drives it, but wont part with it as he loves that old van.

Doc, I'm full up here. No room for the Honda! Not sure I'd know where to start on one either? Wife takes her newer Ford Fusion to the Ford dealer if it's anything more than a brake job or washing.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's really cool!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Wow! You did a great job on the Chevy. :mrgreen:

I would not have had the confidence to stitch up an interior. That requires a great deal of sewing and fitting skill. The diamond tuck looks perfect for that car. And I like the more traditional higher stance. Most rods now days are slammed to the ground and have a chopped top.

I do have a couple questions; did you leave off the hood side panels for better engine cooling? Did you go with a Ford 9" rear, and how is the rear end mounted, leaf springs or 4 link?

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wow Marlinman, great job on that project. I've done my 49 chevy pickup a couple of times, (actually about 6) in the 60 years I've been driving it so I sorta know what you've been through. I still have a 41 Mercury coupe on the rotisserie that I need to sell as I doubt I'll live long enough to finish it. I redid a 42 Ford once and my mother sewed the upholstery for it so I've not done another interior since then.

Tell us what you used for the suspension, fore and aft.

My latest project that's finished is a 90 YJ. Put a GM throttle body injector and HEI distributor on it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks good. I am sure it is fun to drive.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Shasta wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:10 am Wow! You did a great job on the Chevy. :mrgreen:

I would not have had the confidence to stitch up an interior. That requires a great deal of sewing and fitting skill. The diamond tuck looks perfect for that car. And I like the more traditional higher stance. Most rods now days are slammed to the ground and have a chopped top.

I do have a couple questions; did you leave off the hood side panels for better engine cooling? Did you go with a Ford 9" rear, and how is the rear end mounted, leaf springs or 4 link?

Shasta
I had a '40 Chev in 1968, and it had similar diamond pattern black naugahyde interior. This was sort of a tribute to that car, although that car never got finished, or painted. It also got the drivetrain from my buddy's dad's '59 Imperial dropped in it when he rolled the Imperial! 413, Torqueflite, and Mopar rear axle.
The front end you see in the early picture when it came home was an Old Chicago one piece fiberglass unit. Two brothers who once owned this car worked there, and they built the glass frontend. But it was badly warped, and ill fitting. I test fitted it to the body, and it was off by inches, not fractions of inches. After two weeks of frustration, and attempting to rework it, I gave up and tossed it out into my backyard. I found the pair of steel fenders, and fitted them and the grille. Then got the crazy idea I might be able to save the hood off the glass frontend. I began cutting and reworking it, and grinding on the inside to allow it to be reshaped, and glassed. I finally cut both sides off, and then it began to fit. Original hoods hinged in the middle, and each side and top was a half of the hood. So sides weren't removeable. Mine is just out of convenience and cheap, since I had it. Actually was able to sell the two fenders to a guy building a rat rod too! I can pull 4 pins and run without the hood, or run with it. I like with it better personally.
Rear axle is the newer 8.8" Ford axle. A much stronger unit than the 9" in stock form. 9" Fords can be built to be extremely strong, but they can be a money pit to get there. The 8.8" has huge axles, .10" smaller ring gear, and come stock with 31 spline axles, instead of the wimpy 28 spline the 9" has stock. And considering I get them in 3.56, 3.73, 4.10 posi at the wrecking yard for $110, it's a pretty easy choice.
It's sitting on leaf springs in the rear, but also with 4 ft. long ladder bars to stop wheel hop. So a little of both.
Front suspension is a 1958 Chevy half ton truck axle I narrowed 5" to fit under the '39 fenders. Then converted the brakes to 70's Chev Nova/Camaro disc brake system, with a late 70's Corvette dual master.

I'm not a fan of the ground hugging lowered suspensions done to most old cars these days. I started driving in '66 and the big thing then was Gas Class drag cars, and they all sat up much higher then. This one sits lower than stock in the back, but a little higher than stock up front. Took a lot of mocking and testing to finally get this stance I wanted.
Most of what I build is a balancing game between what's best, and affordable. I don't cunt my time, but I have about $6,000 tied up in this car, including the initial purchase price. So it's easy to do that math and feel better.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:13 pm Wow Marlinman, great job on that project. I've done my 49 chevy pickup a couple of times, (actually about 6) in the 60 years I've been driving it so I sorta know what you've been through. I still have a 41 Mercury coupe on the rotisserie that I need to sell as I doubt I'll live long enough to finish it. I redid a 42 Ford once and my mother sewed the upholstery for it so I've not done another interior since then.

Tell us what you used for the suspension, fore and aft.

My latest project that's finished is a 90 YJ. Put a GM throttle body injector and HEI distributor on it.
I did my '55 Chev 2dr. sdn. back in 1970, and my mom helped by sewing some interior for me too. Never done any since, but the quotes I got made my head spin, so decided to try it myself. I told one sarcastic upholstery guy I could mess it up 5-6 times, and still be cheaper than his price! When I did it I had to redo the driver's seat once. Learned what not to do on it, and the rest was actually very easy. I have less than $700 in my entire interior, including buying a pre-sewn headliner, and the used Singer commercial sewing machine. So his quote of $8,000 was easy to pass on.
I had a '71 Camaro with 427 for well over 40 years. I lost track how many times I changed or rebuilt it? The last time was a 100% change on every part of the car. Then it was so nice I was afraid to drive it, so I sold it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:19 pm Looks good. I am sure it is fun to drive.
Thanks. I drove it last fall 1250 miles round trip to our annual long range shoot. I loved every minute of the drive once I got comfortable with driving a pretty recently completed build! Nervous at first, just because it only had 500 miles on it, and I never go far from home with a newly finished car before.
I have plans for an even longer trip this summer. Hopefully it wont be too hot, since it's got no AC!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

totally outstanding. you are an artist.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:24 am totally outstanding. you are an artist.
Thanks Grizz. It's been my hobby since before I started driving 55 years ago. Just always liked building them.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Looks great! Nuthin like an old ride. I have two lawn ornaments I hope to get back on the road soon. 67 Ranchero 390, and a 70 F350.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I was thinking this was the dreamboat you showed us parked at Grand Coulee.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Oldncrusty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm Looks great! Nuthin like an old ride. I have two lawn ornaments I hope to get back on the road soon. 67 Ranchero 390, and a 70 F350.
I like the old 390 family of motors. Sometimes a manufacturer just puts things together and has a hit on their hands.
D. Brian Casady
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

piller wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm
Oldncrusty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm Looks great! Nuthin like an old ride. I have two lawn ornaments I hope to get back on the road soon. 67 Ranchero 390, and a 70 F350.
I like the old 390 family of motors. Sometimes a manufacturer just puts things together and has a hit on their hands.
For sure. I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a 429 Boss though if someone wanted to trade.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:50 pm Vall, I was thinking this was the dreamboat you showed us parked at Grand Coulee.
Yes Bill, it's the same car. I had planned to let somebody paint it for me, but decided to take my shot at doing it myself. Like with most stuff I try, I figured I could screw it up numerous times, and still have less in it than prices I was quoted. Plus there was that voice telling me to try to paint a car at least once, just to see what's involved.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Oldncrusty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 pm
piller wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm
For sure. I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a 429 Boss though if someone wanted to trade.
I'm not a Ford guy, but always wanted a SOHC Ford engine! Of course at the prices it's a pipe dream. I recently saw a modern Ford Coyote engine dressed up with SOHC valve covers over the stock covers to hide coil packs. It looked amazing, and had a Borla injection system on it that looked like old Hilborn stack injection. So it looked very period, but was all late technology. And something more affordable a person could do.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I got one! Soon as I hit the lottery.

Dont know the Coyote. I'll check it out.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Oldncrusty wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 am I got one! Soon as I hit the lottery.

Dont know the Coyote. I'll check it out.
The Ford Coyote engine is what all the newer Mustang V8's use. It's their response to Chevy's LS engines.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Spent Memorial Day doing the finishing touches to my '60's Gasser tribute of the '39 Chevy. I lettered up the doors and hood in old school style. Used a bordering stencil I had a local sign company make for me to help my shaky old hands get it looking right, and duplicated side to side.

The name on the door top is a nod to my late father whose first new car was a '39 Chev also. Passenger side is my wife's name. Dad's name is also my middle name, so dual purpose.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

My goodness sakes bro that is awesome. 8) 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It does look good.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks! Took these yesterday at a vintage gas station nearby:

Image\
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How many SMILES to the gallon does it get? 8)
D. Brian Casady
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice, bet ya get some looks driving it around. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Oh, baby, what a ride! Nicely done.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 am How many SMILES to the gallon does it get? 8)
It's been a constant grin since I started driving it often lately. Feel bad that I've ignored my other hotrod a lot, so will have to dust it off one of these days and get it out to exercise it too.
Beyond smiles per gallon, the '39 is pretty thrifty on miles per gallon, for what it is. I get 18 mpg cruising at 70 mph. Less around town when there's no overdrive involved.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's just beautiful!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Boy, I bet that turns a few heads . . . . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It looks like it would be fun.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I was pleased after I painted it, and liked the Ford Wimbledon White color. But it was just lacking something, so decided to go ahead and letter it up for fun. This was a before.