Quick trip to our cabin in PA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Quick trip to our cabin in PA

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a truck vs. building claim in PA last week and when I looked up the address it put me about halfway to our cabin outside of Bradford. So I grabbed a dog and a couple of extra shooters and headed off Friday morning. I always worry about the place over the winter because it's not easily accessible because of the snow. We've had a few break ins and, trees fall on it and it turned 100 years old last year so I'm always worried about the framing, foundation. It's got a bit of a sag in the middle these days.
There are about 25 cabins along our 7 mile road and it seemed like just about everyone was up this weekend. More than I've seen in years, and something else was different too. People were far more polite and friendly than they have been over the last several years. Just a different vibe than it has been, and not a mask in sight either. Refreshing, to say the least. Did a little shooting and took a good long hike with the dog. Just a nice break from the news, work and relax a bit.

Did a little more shooting with the Ruger LCP II. I had one CCI Mini-Mag round that didn't fire and had the rack the slide several times to get it out of the chamber. First time that's happened with the CCIs and hasn't happened with the Federal .22s. Betting a brush through the chamber should fix it. It did a number on the empty propane cylinder at 9 paces though. I bought it to use a backyard, dog walking pistol and it fits that roll pretty well.

My buddy Bandit. He travels better than the other dogs. Sleeps most of the time on the road.
Me traveling light.
Still standing at 101! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Quick trip to our cabin in PA

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans jason, glad ya had a good time. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I like it !! ,Wife's family has one in mountains ,same situation as yours .We winterize it in October and go back in April usually .Might try to go next weekend.About 70 miles away.
Last year we had a break in ,first one since late 80's .Never know what your going to find .Always worried about squatters .
One we have used to be my favorite place to hunt and shoot, Woods ,rivers,creeks,lake all within 20- 30 minute drive or less.
Father n law passed in 2006 ,not been the same since.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like Jason, if I lived just a little bit closer ( :? ) I'd be happy to Cabin sit over winter to keep away unwanted guests..... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's a great good story with great photos. thanks. what's the trigger like on the lcp?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you had fun. One of our dogs travels well. He is a rescue that is part Rhodesian Ridgeback. Name is Flint. He lays down in a car and is as calm as you could ask him to be.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

Grizz,
The trigger on the LCP is very Glock like, it works but it's no Colt Match Target. :D
There's about a half an inch of take up and then a solid break. It's heavy but consistent, probably around 6-7 pounds.
If I run my trigger finger all the way through, past the first knuckle it shoots dead on for me.

GK,
I've always wanted to spend a month or two over the winter, get snowed in and just hide for awhile. Not sure that will ever happen, but it's beautiful up there when it snows.
I'd love to get up there more often, but it's about a 240 mile drive from where I live. Although, with this new territory I might be able to pull off an over night trip more often.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a great day. Glad you got out.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Looks like a great place to get some relaxing done. Course nothing relieves stress better than squeezing a trigger.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I can relate! I opened up our family's cabin in the mountains of western NC this week. Neatened up the yard, made a couple of minor repairs
, gave the place a good cleaning, and made a to-do list for this year's projects. Enough work in a day to guarantee a good night's sleep, relaxing in a most satisfying way.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Our "to do" list is a big one this year. The new kitchen cabinets I put in about 5-6 years ago are falling apart. All that pressboard and glue just isn't up for the cold and damp winters up there. I'm probably going to make my own this time. With any luck, they'll be around long enough I won't have to do it again. I still need to figure out a better way to get a consistent water supply to kitchen and bathroom. It's all gravity fed from a small creek coming down the hill, but in the summer/ dryer months there is water but the level in our little reservoir gets low and it's a real pain to keep the water flowing. I'm thinking a 50-55 gal plastic drum about 3/4 way down the hill should help but It's just an experiment.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!