Hawes Single Action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Hawes Single Action

Post by Old Savage »

Signed up for a .357 6.5" today ... coarse on the outside mechanics and bore seem fine $195.

Opinions/experience?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Hawes Single Action

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:55 pm Signed up for a .357 6.5" today ... coarse on the outside mechanics and bore seem fine $195.

Opinions/experience?
From what I've read, a stout firearm. For the money? Halt, thief!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

By the way, this thread is useless without pics... :mrgreen: :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Back when they first started importing them my Dad bought a .357 and a .44 Magnum Hawes. He shot thousands of rounds through each of them over the next 10 years. They both were very accurate. About the same time my friend Eugene bought a .44 Magnum Hawes and like my Dad, he put thousands of round through it. I watched him many times make hits he called at 300 and 400 yards with it.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I had one i bought in 1975, it was a 44 mag. had it for a few years & it shot great, it was a blast blowing up
rats a the local dump, wish i could shoot that good today!

Brad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They were good guns Fred.......I only did some limited informal shooting with a 44 but it was "all there" as to accuracy and reliability.....Handled a mess of them and I could not fault them........strong quality guns but without the fit and finish of a Colt or a Smith but......also without the high price tag.

My unprofessional guess is that Ruger did them in like Ruger did with the Great Western single actions.

Forgot the amount of auctions I've been to and these guns came up and they never brought any kind of money......

My very limited experience with these guns does not qualify me for any kind of an evaluation but one thing I can say for certainty, I never heard anything bad about them, unlike that other junk. ...------6
Model A Uzi’s
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>My unprofessional guess is that Ruger did them in like Ruger did with the Great Western single actions.

They were made by JP Sauer & Sohn in West Germany.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The Constable in Hallettsville Texas carried one in .357 as his duty gun (I was dating his daughter at the time) in the mid 1980s. It was a pretty good shooter and I could find no fault with it. That is a steal.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Over the years I've had two 44 mags and a 45 Colt, all sturdy and accurate revolvers. I also had an EAA Bounty Hunter 45 which is, for all intents and purposes, a transfer bar equipped Western Marshall. All excellent revolvers that shot real close to the sights with standard bullet weights.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I bought one that was a 357 last year and got to shoot it a couple of times before someone bought it off me. I've owned them before and this one was no exception. A really good quality SAA that shot to where it looked with 158 grain semi-wadcutters. For that price you can afford to have it re-timed if it needs it. I think you're gonna like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had a half dozen 357 and 44’s over the years. As said above good quality and pretty dependable. If you are planning on keeping it may I suggest you find a extra firing pin retaining nut for your model and keep it where you can find it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pisgah wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:48 am >My unprofessional guess is that Ruger did them in like Ruger did with the Great Western single actions.

They were made by JP Sauer & Sohn in West Germany.
What I meant was because Ruger was making such a nice revolver for a low price, Ruger financially put them out of business. People bought Rugers instead. It's a known fact Ruger and Colt put Great Western out of business because their quality was better.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This one appears "well used" on the exterior. Bore is fine, mechanically works very smooth and evenly. Locks up fine. Seems a good size for a .357.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Fred which grip does your have? They offered standard and oversized target grips. I just looked, forgot I still have a 357 and a 22.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This one has the regular grips. Looks like this with s lot of wear on the blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Yours seems to have a brass grip. Nice. Also, I have struggled trying to figure out the date of manufacture of these revolvers.