How Slick Feeding is your Winchester Model 88

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

How Slick Feeding is your Winchester Model 88

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I have a chance to buy a Model 88, three digit serial number, 308, made in 1955. The rifle is in good mechanical condition but well packed/used. The guy who is selling it knows me and let me have it to try it. I loaded up some ammo---spitzers, round nose, flat point and some hollow points, different weight from 125's to 165's---all to the suggested COAL and all fit fine in the magazine.
So, never had or used an 88 before, but have several other lever guns, which I have used for close to 50 years----W94's, W95's, W92's and M336's, so plenty of time behind other lever guns--even have newer Rossi's and Henry's.

My question is on the feeding. Every cartridge I loaded and the factory stuff---two brands---all stick when the cartridge is about 1/4 of the way into the chamber if I run the lever slow. If I work the lever briskly---what I would call "very brisk", the ammo feeds. In fact, I have to work it "very briskly", to ensure reliability.
I've worked with detachable magazines a lot and I see a thing or two with the magazine seating on this one that would enhance the function---but it's not mine to work on and I wondering if Model 88's are generally known to be rough feeding when cycled slow or if it is just this particular Model 88.

FWIW, my other lever guns all feed smoother and more easily----I almost feel like I'm being a bit too rough with this one to make it reliable.

So, how do your Model 88's feed?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How Slick Feeding is your Winchester Model 88

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Friend has used over a dozen, all were slicker than snot on a brass rail!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for the reply Todd, hope all is well.

Jon.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Sounds like either the ejector is sticking or the extractor is hanging up on the rim.

Every one I have ever messed with was butter smooth.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Only 88 I ever shot fed very easily, an extremely slick rifle.

Eric
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:24 pm Sounds like either the ejector is sticking or the extractor is hanging up on the rim.

Every one I have ever messed with was butter smooth.
The ones ive had feed as slick as a bolt action, did you try to chamber a round by hand?

Brad
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I always thought my 88 is pretty slick because I never had any issues with it loading rounds. However, when I go slow motion, the cartridge hangs up because the case is still being held by the magazine, causing the round to enter the chamber at an angle that keeps it from going forward. With a moderate amount of speed, the bolt hits the case and drives the round forward so it pops out of the magazine and slides right into the chamber. Most if not all leverguns wern't designed to operate slowly!
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for the replies folks.
Scott, it does look like the ejector may be hanging it up a bit---but I'm not sure that clipping a coil on the spring or reducing the length of the plunger is a good idea unless I buy it. This and some magazine work may help it feed easier.

Olloger---they chamber fine---the issue is from the time the bolt pushes the cartridge until the cartridge is nearly ready to clear the magazine.

Geobru---what you explained is exactly the issue, thank you for being specific. I'm ok with working the action briskly----I just believed, that compared to my other lever actions, I had to work the action faster and harder---in fact, much harder and faster to get it to stop hanging up when the cartridge enters the chamber. I believe you answered my question and if the price is right, I may dive in and buy this rifle.

When I first starting getting ready to use it, and after I tried the factory ammo, which are spitzers, I figured it may feed smoother with a round nose or flat nose, but it didn't, so I ruled that out. All the rounds chamber fine, there is just "a hitch in the get along" before they get to the chamber.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

what an "88" is ,is a bolt gun worked by a lever.Slow feed a regular turnbolt OK. NEVER slow feed a LEVER. My 88 is same way.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Just got a 1958 model 88 in, was sorta gummy and sticky. Spent 4 minutes oiling and cleaning, now it is " slicker n snot on a brass rail" I'm tempted to make it my own now. Its in .308. Feels and handles real nice.... todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Well, I did buy it. It shoots well, nice rifle. I have two magazines for it. I found that the issue was mainly with only one of the magazines. The magazine would drop too far in the front when locked in. I built it up with some epoxy and now they both work great. Not sure how durable the epoxy will be, but I bet it will last for quite a while.

This one, like several other of my 308's shoots cast bullets well. I'll keep it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had an 88 in .308 around the same vintage. Incredibly accurate, I could cover a five shot group at 100 yds with a quarter. I have to say, and I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I've never had a Winchester I disliked as much as that 88. I thought the action was stiff and clunky and the rifle is quite fragile compared to just about everything else I've owned.
I dropped mine while on a hunt in PA from just a few feet on a hard packed dirt trail. The stock split nearly in two around the action and was completely useless. I went back to my cabin, threw it on the couch, picked up my '95 and finished out the day. I sold the rifle as is and don't miss it a bit.

Good luck with yours and just don't drop it. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jason that sucked huh? Aint gonna buy it. Needed a good reasonably lightweight 2 man tent. So bought that and an 8" Octagon .44 Mag Hotshot barrel for my Contender. Plus there is a show coming up next weekend so I wanted to free up somes funds for a new revolver/carbine or 2...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It was a bummer but just couldn't warm up to that one. The old '95 SRC in .30-'06 saved the trip. Brough home a nice 7 pt. whitetail.

I'm not particularly hard on my rifles, but have dropped a couple. There's a a couple of dents in blondie's bamboo flooring that I still haven't confessed to. One was an M1A and the other one happened recently when i dropped the FrankenFinn right on the Vortex. That's a tough one! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"