Trust. Experts know.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Trust the Experts...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Trust the Experts...

Post by Glenn »

That's a great satire site!! I go there when I need a laugh (often). :lol:
Glenn
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

At 66 Im now an "expert" about knowing most people who think they are "experts" ALWAYS have a hidden agenda......

So many years I've wasted believing people are truthful.
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool site... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i have the alt version of "expert bias" as a basic [worldly] world view. anyone claiming expertise in anything is considered a liar unless and until i see unimpeachable contrary evidence. this is doubly true if they insist and contend that they are not lying. then i require several orders of magnitude more unimpeachable evidence. because Real Truth Matters
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Oh, the irony in this thread. :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The best and most expert people in any field that I am acquainted with have always known that there is more to learn. The more you know, the more you should realize that there is more to learn. Even Dr. Debakey, one of the best Cardiac Surgeons in his time, realized that he didn't know it all. Dr. Jarvik, the inventor of the artificial heart, knew that there was more to learn.
When someone tells me that they are an expert and that I shouldn't question --- I start looking for flaws. We all have been wrong sometime when we were sure we were right.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 pm The best and most expert people in any field that I am acquainted with have always known that there is more to learn. The more you know, the more you should realize that there is more to learn. Even Dr. Debakey, one of the best Cardiac Surgeons in his time, realized that he didn't know it all. Dr. Jarvik, the inventor of the artificial heart, knew that there was more to learn.
When someone tells me that they are an expert and that I shouldn't question --- I start looking for flaws. We all have been wrong sometime when we were sure we were right.
Chances are fairly good that a braggart who says he has a lifetime of experience only has a couple years of experience that he has been repeating for a very long time.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of the many things I learnt from Leonard Bull while in skool was the definition of EXPERT
eX in mathematics is an unknown
A spurt is a drip under pressure
So an expert is nothing more than a drip under pressure.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Trust. Experts know.

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Trust. Experts know.

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So very true.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Scoobey1985
Levergunner

Post by Scoobey1985 »

Model 1899. 38-55
Trying to find out what it’s worth
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm So many years I've wasted believing people are truthful.
Not trying to be critical or sarcastic but who taught you that people are truthful? A quick look at Scripture reveals the fallacy of thinking that man is basically good. Someone led you astray early on.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Trailboss wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:18 pm
Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm So many years I've wasted believing people are truthful.
Not trying to be critical or sarcastic but who taught you that people are truthful? A quick look at Scripture reveals the fallacy of thinking that man is basically good. Someone led you astray early on.

No, and I don't take it as sarcasm.....I was sheltered....inadvertently......all white school, all white rural neighborhood...everyone I knew had a mom and dad and the dad worked....I never knew any poor people or for that matter, people who "wanted" but could not afford it, so they stole.....The thought of locking our doors or cars was unheard of. Mom and dad preached goodness and honesty.

My parents would show me National Geographic magazines as told me people who lived far away were hungry all the time....I've never been hungry in my life due to lack of food.

Same way with my wife...the farmers daughter.....work and honesty paid off....

And it did, I've lived a great life with a super great childhood.

Then I joined Leverguns.---006
Model A Uzi’s
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

the BabylonBee ..... those folks are awesome !! I thought I had a good imagination, er, sense of satire ....... those folks make me feel completely uneducated !!

For a few years now I've been subscribed to their daily email. It's the only pure source of truth these days ..... er, wait a minute, I mean satire. Half the time I'm not sure ......
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Scoobey1985 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:24 pm Model 1899. 38-55
Trying to find out what it’s worth
Absolutely nothing without pictures.
Or veracity
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 pm No, and I don't take it as sarcasm.....I was sheltered....inadvertently......all white school, all white rural neighborhood...everyone I knew had a mom and dad and the dad worked....I never knew any poor people or for that matter, people who "wanted" but could not afford it, so they stole.....The thought of locking our doors or cars was unheard of. Mom and dad preached goodness and honesty.

My parents would show me National Geographic magazines as told me people who lived far away were hungry all the time....I've never been hungry in my life due to lack of food.

Same way with my wife...the farmers daughter.....work and honesty paid off....

And it did, I've lived a great life with a super great childhood.

Then I joined Leverguns.---006
Ah, makes sense. My folks were similar, worked hard and provided. Went to church as a family on Christmas and Easter and called ourselves Christians. Never knew there was an ugly side to the world until I began to read newspapers as a young teen. I told my Dad that it appeared some of those politicians were bad people. He scolded me and said politicians are honest folk just trying to help us. I honestly stared at him for the longest time, trying to figure out if he was being sarcastic or if he believed that nonsense. Turned out he actually believed it. When he finally figured out the truth, he was in his 70s and he became angry and spiteful feeling that he had been misled.

My belief from an early age was that most people were liars but a few that shot regularly were ok folks. Now my new motto is "People are like Clowns, sometimes they are funny and sometimes they try to kill you."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 pm The best and most expert people in any field that I am acquainted with have always known that there is more to learn. The more you know, the more you should realize that there is more to learn. Even Dr. Debakey, one of the best Cardiac Surgeons in his time, realized that he didn't know it all. Dr. Jarvik, the inventor of the artificial heart, knew that there was more to learn.
Even if they themselves aren't pretending to 'know it all', when anyone acts as if 'we' now know everything about a topic, especially in science or health care, I just laugh. Med students are the worst; they come out of their eight years of college and DO know a bunch of facts, and are beginning to thread them together into a reasonable fabric to base their patient care on, BUT what they also do is assume that since they just got out of school and made top-grades (at least some did), then they know all the latest knowledge, and that includes why the stuff we may do that is five-years 'out of date' is just so terrible. I remind them how there's even 'worse' stuff we did TEN years ago, and 'crazy' stuff we did twenty years ago...! THEN I ask them if they have thought about how ten years into the future, physicians getting out of medical school then, just might think that some of the stuff we 'know' now as state-of-the-art has become silly and obsolete and just as 'clearly ridiculous' medically as what we today look back ten years ago and see.

.....the scary part is that only about one in five students understands the point I'm making... :shock: :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It wasn't all that long back that we thought sacharin was a great idea. Then we found out that it caused cancer. Then we found out that it only caused cancer in high doses.

We find out things change often. And, yes! even among educated and purportedly intelligent individuals, most of the people in any science based healthcare field do not understand that knowledge will change. That change might be rather fast. I find that many of the older ones have learned that change is going to happen. Their understanding of the principle of change is better than that of the younger people. Though it is a play on words, Change is constant!
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Condition Orange is a good place to be.
Mad Dog Mattis always said "Greet everybody with a smile, but have a plan to kill them". Perfectly said.....a few deserve it more than most.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV