New levergunner here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

New levergunner here?

Post by Drawdown »

Just wanted to say hello, and glad to finally do so! I've been visiting this place often for sometime, unable to join, no computer. Still don't have one but I now can use a new phone. Yap, computer almost ignorant!

But I've been a rifleman all my life, and a levergun rifle nut the past 5 years. I'm soon to be 62, and just started reloading last year. (Why didn't I do this years ago?!!!)

But I can say I've learned a lot here in past few years, really enjoy the place. Look forward to checking out all the pics I couldn't before.

And I am a lifelong hunter, squirrels especially, deer and turkey often, and 4 deer in past 5 years with my Marlin 336, and my 94 Winchester. I've been shooting squirrels in the head with iron sighted 22 since the 70's. I love open sights, and age is trying to hurt me, but I ain't giving up!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: New levergunner here?

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Drawdown :D iron sights and Squirrels that's my idea of fun too... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome to the fire! Pull up a stump.
Old eyes = peep sight
Peep sight = merit
http://www.meritcorporation.com/index-2.html
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Come on in.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome. Well you are young but time will solve that. ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome!
Pull up a stump and grab a coffee.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I thank you all kindly! I pulled up a chair, typed a long reply about some of my experiences with iron sights, hit submit I thought? Don't know where I went wrong, but now I'm to pooped to try again. I'll take up the trail in the morning.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Ah ill go ahead. To recommend a peep is right on especially with my old eyes! I fixed my Marlin several years ago to what, IMO for me, is the ultimate deer rifle for where I hunt! (mountains of SE Ky) I filed the rear semi-buck to a flat top with a shallow U. I filed the front brass bead so it only has a slight flat tip, so different light won't fool me. This is zeroed at 100yds. I put a Marbles rear tang sight on it, and zeroed it at 175 yds. The barrel sight folds down when I need the tang. I've never shot a deer past 55-60 yds, but hay, I'm ready!

I put a Williams receiver sight on my 94, zeroed at 150. This rifle is a 1971 NRA Centennial model. I know most the feelings about Post 64 Winchester, mine included, but? I love this rifle!!! I got it actually, 2 years ago yesterday, UNFIRED, not a scratch, PERFECT. But its hardly cooled off since, and I can say one thing for sure. Its the most consistent levergun you could ask for. Not critical of hold, rest, anything! It shoots where you want it to when you do your part. I looked high and low around here for an original Model 64, nothing! I know now I couldn't done any better. Both are 30-30's. My marlin is a 77 model, got it in 80 from the original owner. But its so critical about the hold!

But shooting squirrels, thats a different ballgame. And in reality for me peeps are 95 %, but good open sights, inside a 100 yds, they're %100! When you've grown up shooting open sights, its beyond explanation! They become instinctive! They very fast, and I never loose my lock on that spot. With a peep, it breaks your focus for a second, till you line back up thru the hole, then everything looks smaller, then you're back easily to very very close! But for me, windage is automatic. Elevation, I string my shots up slightly unless I take time to really aim. To much thought. Its the visibility of the barrel leading up to the sight, or the sight ramp, according to the peep, but the bottom of the picture is not precise, and varies according to light.

But with opens, you bore a hole in the spot, just bring the entire sight up until the spot is lying on the tip of the front sight, and squeeze! I never struggle to level the front sight with the flat level rear. I can use a front bead ok, but the sights of my CZ Ultralux 22 are outstanding. The front post is narrow and flat. I have a 91/30 Mosin Nagant, and they are the best sights ever for my eyes. With a peep, I gotta have a small round bead, and I shoot thru the bead, center it on the bullseye. The bead on the Winchester is about perfect. Its small, actually brass i think, but in good light appears white. In darker conditions it just appears black which works for me.

But much to my regret, last year, I did poorly with my CZ on squirrels. My eyes are changing fast. I'm very satisfied with the 64 and Williams for deer. It works! My primary aperture was the small target one, but I drilled it to where I'm guessing. Approx. 0.75-0.80? I keep the 0.95 with me when I need it.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I share your frustration with the peeps sights, although I really do like using a Williams FP with the aperture removed for the so-called ‘ghost ring’ effect. I can’t tell any reduction in accuracy, but it sure helps me shoot faster and more comfortably. I’ll see if I can find the pictures I posted of that from another thread.

Then there is also the Marbles Bullseye sight. Perhaps the most practical of all, other than the fact that it adjusts the same way most open sights do, that is by an elevation ramp that you slide, and drifting for windage. But once you get it sighted in, it’s gonna stay that way, and it is an extremely fast sight, yet accurate because of the two rings. I will post a link to the thread that has pictures of both for your perusal.

Link to Thread with Pictures of ‘ghosted’ FP and Bullseye setups > viewtopic.php?p=390174&sid=ce339aca91de ... d1#p390174

The other great thing about the Marbles Bullseye is that instead of obscuring more of the view versus a regular open ‘iron’ sight, due to the extra adjustment hardware and mounting base sights like the Williams and Lyman have, the Marbles Bullseye obscures far less of the view than even ‘open’ sights. Most of the time I’ve been able to keep the same front sight (brass bead or fiber-bead usually).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

AJM, thanks, thats some good stuff! I saw a picture of the Marbles Bullseye when it come out. I figured it would block way to much of the field of view, but I guess not. That pic makes it look really good!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome to the "Best Enablers forum" on the net! What are your companion pistols for your rifles? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's good stuff. thanks for posting. i can relate.

everyone here is equally young and we have no age discrimination. my eyesight has devolved to the point that the best sight picture i get is the ramp and ghost ring on my chinaflu made fake 870 ! and the marbles on my guide gun.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi and welcome from Wyoming
my 1955 eyes play tricks on me also, have receiver & tang sights on some lever guns, but the newer 99s
have scopes on them, and a 94 AE trapper 30-30 wares a nice low power Redfield scope
had a Marbles bulls eye on a 94 & it worked good for me, but a bud liked it to & the gun so i sold it to him

Brad
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I'm sure glad I still fit into the youth group :D
My constant side companion in the woods, is a Kimber 4" 45acp. It was a 6" Smith Mod 19 (by far my all time favorite handgun) 357, but I went to the 45, so much lighter!

I signed on here, already my mouths watering - drueling, from looking at all the old guns! :roll:

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

You've stumbled into a nest of enablers if there ever were such a critter. Welcome to the fire!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Very interesting read Drawdown. It sure sounds like you know your lever gun's!
Welcome to the forum. We could always use some new blood on the forum. :D
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

My levergun knowledge is for the most part, in depth study for a number of years, especially the last 10. Funny tho, I graduated HS in 77, went to work, and my first payday, I got me a 870 Rem. 2nd maybe 3rd payday, I g ot me, what in my eyes, was the ultimate, "Ky Assault Squirrel Rifle", a Mod 39 Marlin! But who would've thought, it had best my memory, an ejection problem? It was a definite shooter, but I had no patience for a problem, traded it on a Rem auto 22. Big mistake, wish I'd kept it, but you know young and dumb!

I know a plenty about Marlin 336, and a little about 94's. Plenty of those around here in 30-30, but this has always been Marlin country, 30-30's everywhere, and used to, a few 35 Rem.
So I started a lever man, left them. But looks like I saved the best for last! I'm reloading now, and could put several of them to my good use!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Drawdown wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 pm My levergun knowledge is for the most part, in depth study for a number of years, especially the last 10. Funny tho, I graduated HS in 77, went to work, and my first payday, I got me a 870 Rem. 2nd maybe 3rd payday, I g ot me, what in my eyes, was the ultimate, "Ky Assault Squirrel Rifle", a Mod 39 Marlin! But who would've thought, it had best my memory, an ejection problem? It was a definite shooter, but I had no patience for a problem, traded it on a Rem auto 22. Big mistake, wish I'd kept it, but you know young and dumb!

I know a plenty about Marlin 336, and a little about 94's. Plenty of those around here in 30-30, but this has always been Marlin country, 30-30's everywhere, and used to, a few 35 Rem.
So I started a lever man, left them. But looks like I saved the best for last! I'm reloading now, and could put several of them to my good use!
The Marlin 39 and Winchester 9422 are great 22 cal. rifle's! I was at the Trading post last Saturday morning . Some guy brought in two Marlin to sell. I waited around to be first to grab them to see what they want for the rifle's. A beat up old 39 and a pre safety Marlin 444. The 39 was $675.00 and the 444 was $845.00. Both mid 1970's made rifles.
I hade no money for a new gun at this time. They were both sold within 15 or 20 min.! I did find a few boxes of cci 22 cal. for
9.99 a box. I also found some 9mm 115 gr. fmj for $19.99 a box of 50. I buy whenever it's in stock! A box of two here and there adds up!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

39's have always been worshipped here. Those in the know, love their 9422's. My 336 is a 77 model, it would've been kinda a twin to the 39 I had.
Through those years from late 60's through the 80's, I either owned or had in possession, almost every good Winchester or browning shotgun made. My dad was a literal squirrel hunting fanatic. Me and my brothers just fell in line.
He was a WW2 Marine, but had a literal fear of rifles! He went in marines soon as he turned 16, in south pacific at 17. I know his heart got sick of what he saw as to death from rifles. He tried to force us to stay away from them, especially centerfire rifles. Brothers did, but I was youngest. I'd done read to much about my hero's. 1st, Alvin York, 2nd Teddy Roosevelt, 3rd Townsend Whelen. By the time I was 10, almost anywhere i went, if I wasn't on a bicycle, or had a ball in my hand. I had 1 of my 3 air rifles. He ok'd that but it was imbedded in me. Nothing, nothing gave me the satisfaction that shooting a rifle did.

My oldest brother was a marine, killed in Vietnam, nov 67. That made it even worse!
But my dad literally loved shotguns and squirrel hunting. We lived on em August through nov. And he my other brother, myself, we just freely exchanged guns we'd bought with each other, often several times a season.
But soon as I got on my own, I had 22's, along with shotguns too.
Fred Bear said, "the history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind"? He's probably close, IDK? But I do know for sure!
"The history of america is founded on and revolves around the rifle" I do love both!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The movie "Windtalkers", its very good and best my memory, very close to what happened there. My dad was in the Saipan landing and battle. He told me all about it when I was a little boy. He was also on another island or 2? But he was walking all over Nagasaki aprox 2 weeks after the atomic bomb! He didn't say much about what he saw there!

I was freely roaming the woods with a iver Johnson 410 by the time I was 10, and dad with all faith in me to do so safely, he'd taught me. But if I'd sneeked a 22 rifle, he'd wore me out with his leather mining belt! This ain't no bull!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Drawdown wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:15 pm The movie "Windtalkers", its very good and best my memory, very close to what happened there. My dad was in the Saipan landing and battle. He told me all about it when I was a little boy. He was also on another island or 2? But he was walking all over Nagasaki aprox 2 weeks after the atomic bomb! He didn't say much about what he saw there!

I was freely roaming the woods with a iver Johnson 410 by the time I was 10, and dad with all faith in me to do so safely, he'd taught me. But if I'd sneeked a 22 rifle, he'd wore me out with his leather mining belt! This ain't no bull!
There's a book out, if I recall the title correctly it's "One darned Island After Another" that looks at the Pacific Theater of WWII (pay no attention to the language filter, I typed it right the first time - see, guys? It treats us all the same). That book really gives you a feel for what those men went through.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

ABC, I will look for that book. I'm reader of American history anyway. I'm in a good one now by a fighter pilot. Thanks!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's a link to it on Amazon. There are other sources, of course, but Kindle allows me to have access to books otherwise difficult, impossible or too costly to access from between the Canal and the Equator. 8)
Paul - in Pereira

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

And I clicked to make sure the censor didn't kill the URL. :-D It works, at least from this end.
Paul - in Pereira

Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

It works ABC, I'll get my boy to try to get it for me. I don't so no business by computer, only phone or in person or mail. But he uses Amazon. Thanks I done know it'll be interesting!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"